1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling to India with a baby / toddler (17 month old)

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by varshini, May 3, 2006.

1. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Re: Traveling alone to India with an infant, need tips?

Hi Nidhi,

We got lot of thread on this topic, just try to google it which is present top of this page...you should surely find one.

Anyway i tried and pulled one for you,check this one:

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/g...67-checklist-moms-babies-toddlers-during.html

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. NidhiM

NidhiM New IL'ite

Thanks a lot Usha for the useful information. I am sure this wealth of info will make me feel better as I was bit nervous about my travel with the baby. I really appreciate your help.
    I have one more question, is there any way I can try to find a travel companion? I tried posting on Sulekha.com but so far no reply. I will be flying from Newark,NJ to New Delhi in Continental.(direct flight). I havnt booked the tickets yet. But i wil have to do it in 2-3 days otherwise I wil be late.

Thanks again for the help.

Nidhi.

3. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nidhi,

Welcome. I think there is one thread fro m you can post to check if there is any travel companion, i won't track that thread correctly

Try that , if not try to put new thread in Indians in U.S.A forum, hope you should get any response.

All the best.

4. minalpc

minalpc New IL'ite

travelling with 4.5 months old infant

hello ladies...i will be travelling to india with my 4.5 months old daughter alone..any ideas/suggestions??????????????

i am toooo much worried if i will be able to manage with her alone..she is impossible when start crying..and calms down only with her dad....really worried...i hope she does fine in that 24hrs travel...

thanks in advance

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  5. mrsKarthik

mrsKarthik New IL'ite

Re: travelling with 4.5 months old infant

hi..ur fear is understandable..have been in similar situation..What i suggest is to whisper or keep singing softly in child's ears whenever she gets cranky...mostly it helps pacify the ear pain or discomfort she might be feeling ..it will definitely soothe her and u as well...if u r nursing ,u might have that as an option too..but usually it doesnt calm the child down unless she is genuinely hungry..keep a few fav toys wd u..the ones that light up..actually u could buy some new ones too which u should show one by one at intervals...anything that helps..i have a son ..and these ae the things that actually worked!!and of course a lot of patience wud be required..you will need to walk around a lot wd the baby..just to give her an illusion that u a r taking her somewhere else...hmmm...many passengers wd be ready to help out..so i m sure u shd be fine...take care and all the best for ur travel experience...

6. srvaug

srvaug Senior IL'ite

Should be ok, don't worry. Most of the time kids sleep in flights(did you request Bassenet seat with a bassinet?) if not, call the
    airlines ASAP and request the Bassinet seat and a bassinet.
    I suggest keeping a bottle of water/formula or feeding your breast milk when then flight takes off and also when it lands. If the baby
    takes a pacifier give it to her at both the times, it will minimize the ear pain during take off and landing.
    Keep lots of diapers and wipes, lots of extra clothing and a change of clothing for you too incase the baby pukes(been there done that lol).
    Keep your hand luggage to minimum, I recommend strollers highly because in that way your hand is free and the baby is not squished in your
    hands and can look everywhere. You can check in the stoller at the gate and they will give it to you when you get down.

7. minalpc

minalpc New IL'ite

thank you both of you..yeah everyone says chances are more that she will sleep most of the times and she will okay..i am little worried about the ear pain as well...i felt it too much everytime..not sure how the little ones handle that much pain :(
    hoping for the best ....thanks again...

8. pbindu

pbindu Silver IL'ite

Thanks to all for valuable suggestions.

9. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Re: Travelling to India with a 17 month old

I haven't read all the rsponses so I'm not sure if this suggestion was given but here it is anyway....Carry a Backpack! This will leave both hands free to take care of baby and other things. Opt for this instead of the traditional diaper bag.

Have your DH wear a fanny pack (mine does) and keep all passports, ids, tickets, etc in that. This will be strapped around his waist and within eyesight at all times.

Carry diapers in odd places...like the camera bag or laptop bag. It will add extra cushioning for the gadgets and also allow you to carry more diapers than would fit into the backpack. Last but not least...lots of small snacks and toys and enjoy your flight. I'm jealous of you going to India :) LOL

10. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Awesome thread with lots of good info! I am travelling to India from SFO in March with an 18 month old and have been busy gathering info on how to tolerate the long flight home.

Couple of suggestions to add -

1. If you want to carry whole milk from here, try this website. It has whole milk in 8oz tetra packs and is 36 bucks for 38 packs. I know we get tetra pack milk in India but from what people have told me, a lot of the us born kids don't like the taste.

look for Gossner Whole White 8oz on Milk on the Moove - Orders and

2. To wash bottles in the flight do the following

take a sponge, wet it and soak it with dishwashing soap. Leave it to dry and then cut it up into small pieces. Put these in a plastic bag and use them one by one, throwing each away after use.

3. Change your baby’s diaper immediately before boarding the plane. Use one of the super duper absorbent ones so that incase the baby sleeps and you don't change the diaper for some time, he/she will not get diaper rash.

4. Hyland's brand has a homeopathic medicine called calme forte. I got it from diapers.com. Just 2 quick dissolving tablets in the mouth and my son goes off to sleep in 15 minutes. You need to test this at home to see if it works on your child. Since it is homepathic, there are no side-effects. You can use this to calm down an over-active child in the flight.

Pooja