1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling to India with a baby / toddler (17 month old)

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by varshini, May 3, 2006.

1. AbiAvi

AbiAvi New IL'ite

Travel to India with 9 month old

Hi All,
    I am new to the forum. Very informative! I would like to get some tips and advice on travel to India with the baby (9 months). I have gone through some of the threads already posted in this topic. Here are my concerns:
    1. Any special Malaria Vaccination to be given before travel?
    2. We are giving Earths best food here, I plan to take sufficient amount to India too. Will there be any change in the texture of the food while storing in India (Chennai) due to intense hot weather?
    3. Also I guess stores like Just Born carry baby food, Heinz product I guess. Any idea whether that is Organic?

Just overwhelmed with more questions :) Thank you all in advance.

2. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Abi Avi;
    I am also undergoing same state of mind. I am also planning to go to Chennai. I asked our ped. about shots and they said no need of any shots. My Lo is 10 months. When are you planning to travel?
    - Nitha

3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

We are also travelling to India and my ped gave only Hep A shot along with his regular 15 mnth shots when I informed him that we will be going to India.

Regarding foods,I plan to carry only finger foods like biscuits,crackers,cheerios etc for the flight travel.Since my son wants to eat only what we eat:drowning,even if I carry something,he will not eat it.So,for him,it is going to be flight food,whatever they give.Maybe I will take 1 or 2 idlis,not sure though.

Once in India,it is going to be whatever is available there,I am not planning to carry anything from here.

4. AbiAvi

AbiAvi New IL'ite

Thanks for the replies. Nidha, We are traveling on June 18th.

5. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Abi,
    Since ur baby is 9 months, take some earths best jars for the flight travel, but when you are in india u can try homemade fresh food, that is more fresh and better than the jars. just my thought. so this way u dont have to carry lots ofjars or worry abt buying jars there. u can try fresh fruits, boiled pureed vegetables, rice kanji, ragi kanji etc.
    Enjoy ur trip

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

We too on June 18th..what a coincidence!!

7. AVR

AVR New IL'ite

hi ladies!
    i traveled alone with my daughter to India in August 2008, when she was 9 months old. I would like to share my experience with you. She never had bottle milk/formula. So i had to breast feed her throughout. I did take her favorite videos/songs, books, toys to entertain her. Which really helped a lot!! she did really co-operate with me, i shld say...but i had entertain her to the fullest by singing rhymes, playing peek a boo etc when she was awake....in the whole flight journey i didn't sleep for even 10mins together...i was scared that i might not hear her cry when she wakes up in the middle and everyone else in the flight will also be sleeping....so didnt sleep at all.....so if u r travelling alone it is really important that you finish off major part of your packing and other shopping, house hold works before hand and take proper rest the day before you leave!!! this will really help a lot to manage your kid in a better manner! :) wish you all a very pleasant journey!!

8. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Ladies

Even i am travelling with my HYPER active son , he wud be 20 mns tat time [in aug] How do u manage ur hyperactive kids who never sit in one place for few mns continously.?

9. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Sanravi,

This is my main nightmare too.My dd is always jumping and she has a lot of tantrums.Screams and cry's and yells her lungs out.I am so scared of managing her all alone on a flight that i am not planning the trip at all.I know i cant put off forever,dont know how to manage.
    Hope we get some replies.

suji

10. NidhiM

NidhiM New IL'ite

Traveling alone to India with an infant, need tips?

Hi Everyone,

My name is nidhi. I am going to travel alone for the first time with a (going to be )10 month old baby in October end. I will going in a direct flight from Newark to delhi. It is going to be 15-16 hrs flight. I am lil nervous since this is my first time alone with a baby. I would greatly appreciate any tips/advices or any useful information.
    Can I carry sealed Similac formula can with me?
    How do i sterilze the bottles in the flight?
    what medicines should I carry?
    Does anyone has any idea how continental airlines are? How are their services in terms of baby?
    I am going to have a only one seat for myself and the baby is going to be in my lap. Will ti be ok?
    When can we request for a bulkhead seat with a bassinet?

As you can see I have several questions in my mind. I would be really thankful if someone can provide some insight. Any help is appreciated. Please share your personal exp., if anyone has traveled in such situation.
    Thanks in advance!