1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling To India With 9 Month Baby - Need Help

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ILUser07, Jun 24, 2016.

1. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

There are many threads and useful tips in IL and still I am adding another thread to get some tips for my situation.
    I will be travelling to chennai from USA on Aug 1st with my baby. My MIL will be travelling with us so I will have help. DH not travelling.
    I will reach on 3rd aug. have visa appointment on 5th. After that I have to go to my hometown in Andhra(12 hrs in train) or by flight.
    We didnt have visa appointments in hyd so booked to chennai where we dont know anyone. So have to stay in hotel for those days. My parents will come and stay with us. Not sure if my MIL will stay or return the same day we land.
    I want to go to hometown by domestic flight but they are charging a lot for the baggage.
    I am so worried about my 9 months baby how he will be adjusting to new timezone, to new climate, staying in hotel and travelling all around. The first week looks really hectic. So worried and scared too.

Please suggest me any tips that can help my baby to be comfortable.

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@ILUser07
    Hi
    I am planning to travel in Nov, my son will be a little over a year.
    As, I haven't been through this experience myself- so I might not be very accurate in giving suggestions. Hope this info helps. Don't worry everything will go smoothly.
    Firstly, try to book a hotel near to consulate- Last time my husband and I went to Chennai we booked at a hotel called Raintree. It's just 2 streets away from the consulate, we even walked to the consulate.
    Secondly- See if you can book a first class train from Chennai to your hometown.
    Thirdly- Get bottled water in Chennai. Can't stress this enough.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  3. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

I read in many posts that its good to carry water. How do you do that? Is it the cans that we get in toysrus or home boiled water?

4. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

I was mentioning the bottled water being Aquafina or fuji kind of bottle.

5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

If your parents come and take your from airport of Chennai that is a big help. You take rest and take care of baby in hotel till u finish visa appointment. then You fly to your hometown, with your mom and allowed luggage in domestic flight, rest of the luggage give it to ur dad ( or some other relative if available) to bring in train. (12 hour train journey may be exhausting for small baby with jet lag, hot weather etc.)

give your MIL a choice how she wants to go hometown , come with you or same day she wants to leave, as your parents are there, better she go and take rest.

Bubbles likes this.
  6. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

Yeah. My parents will be coming to airport. My MIL will also be tired from the long journey. But I am thinking whether my baby will be able to stay with my parents when I am in consulate for stamping. Though they do facetime, still they are strangers to him. With all the climate change, new place, not sure how he will be.

My main concerns
    1. baby has reflux. so spits up often. Will be lots of changings. But should I go to restroom everytime to change his shirt? So can I do in the seat itself if there is enough room.
    2. My milk supply is very low now. Still trying to keep up pumping. Not sure 1 month from now if I will be able to BF during the travel. How to ease the ear pain for the baby? He doesnt use pacifier. Since a week he is refusing bottle too. We are giving him formula in cup.

7. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Leave baby in the hotel with parents(not waiting outside consulate), I don't think any other option is there. let your mom hold baby as much as possible before day.

while taking off and landing, if baby drinks milk from bottle it reduced the ear pain, that is what i was told by air hostess when I was travelling with my baby . May be drinking from a sippy cup also helps baby.

better go to restroom. Also try wrapping thick napkin around shirt collar, so that napkin takes the spitted milk.

8. nishakapoor1231

nishakapoor1231 New IL'ite

so,you can go through this Top 10 Tips For Travelling With Kids and get some really helpful tips.

9. nishakapoor1231

nishakapoor1231 New IL'ite

check this out Top 10 Tips For Travelling With Kids and get some interesting tips about travelling with kids.

blindpup10 likes this.