1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling alone with 6months baby to toronto

Discussion in 'Indians in Toronto & vicinity' started by mini983, Apr 6, 2011.

1. mini983

mini983 New IL'ite

Hi all..,

I will be travelling from Chennai to toronto by April end with my 6months baby (Joining my husband).Really worried about flight travel..since i have to travel alone.

Have few queries...Need ur valuable inputs..!!

1) Is there any specific airlines that is child-friendly or can we book tickets in any..?
    Guess..we should book for a bassinet in advance...am i right?

2) Will there be seperate rooms or space available to change Diapers for baby in Airports while changing flights? Also...is there any space available in airports to BS my baby..??

3) Is it ok..if i wear a salwar(coz i only BS ..did not start formula food) & carry a Jerkin fr myself? As I am not very comfortable if its too cold...esp in airports? Thermal wear..etc req in other airports..[..may sound silly..??...!!!! ]

4) Will the airhostess be friendly enough..will they have my baby for few minutes if i want to use restroom..?

5) Can i have my baby in my lap while taking food? will it be comfortable..incase i do not get a bassinet...?

6) Having a pram or baby carrier...which is best used during the whole travel..? anyways i have to buy a Pram to use in Torr. But how useful is a baby carrier?

7) Can i manage alone when checkin-in chennai airport..I will have two big suitcases.
    and also can i manage to take my luggage in torr after immigration chk..etc... ?

Awaiting all ur inputs....

Cheers,
    Mini

2. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

All the best with your travels. Here are some answers for you.
    1. I think all flights are ok but yes do book bassinet when you are booking your tickets.
    2.yes Airports mostly have baby changing room and iff you are travelling through Amstradam then they have special feeding/play areas for babies/todlers.
    3.All airports are Heated so Salwar Kameez is ok but its still cold in Toronto so make sure you clothes are thick and you have a Jacket with you.
    4.Airhostess are normally friendly but I am not sure if they will hold your baby while you go to washroom. See if you can request one of the passenger to keep an eye on the baby while you go.
    5.Well they SHD have the bassinet for you but you can keep the baby in your lap while you eat.
    6.hmm.. may be a baby carrier is a good idea and than you can buy the pram once you get here.
    7. Well I don't know you but I am sure when the time arrives we all manage some how :)
    all the best to you and Welcome to Toronto :)

3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP,

1) Is there any specific airlines that is child-friendly or can we book tickets in any..?
    Guess..we should book for a bassinet in advance...am i right?

Yes , you book your bassinet when you are booking the ticket.

2) Will there be seperate rooms or space available to change Diapers for baby in Airports while changing flights? Also...is there any space available in airports to BS my baby..??

Changing rooms will be there and in some airports you will have children's room not all.

For BF - i suggest you carry a light shawl which you can drape on yourself when you feed. I had done this and works fine in Airports as well as Plane.

3) Is it ok..if i wear a salwar(coz i only BS ..did not start formula food) & carry a Jerkin fr myself? As I am not very comfortable if its too cold...esp in airports? Thermal wear..etc req in other airports..[..may sound silly..??...!!!! ]

If you have to wear shalwar, wear front opened one which is easier.
    I would suggest a loose Pant and Shirt which is much more convinient to BF. Shawl helps a lot to cover yourself up.

Take a Jacket /Sweater along for cold.

4) Will the airhostess be friendly enough..will they have my baby for few minutes if i want to use restroom..?

May be or may not be...But most of passengers will help for few minutes.

5) Can i have my baby in my lap while taking food? will it be comfortable..incase i do not get a bassinet...?

Little bit difficult, But you can ask for food when the baby is sleeping so you can eat peacefully. if your baby is awake when they start serving food, tell them you will have later.

6) Having a pram or baby carrier...which is best used during the whole travel..? anyways i have to buy a Pram to use in Torr. But how useful is a baby carrier?

Baby Carrier is easier.....Pram is too much hassle I think, Sometimes they don't give the prams while transfers. Better buy one in Toronto

7) Can i manage alone when checkin-in chennai airport..I will have two big suitcases.

Indian Airports - When you enter the gate ask for porters, There will be many who will help and you can pay money.

and also can i manage to take my luggage in torr after immigration chk..etc... ?

U may not find help in overseas airports, Ask some co passengers or Airport staff to help.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  4. mini983

mini983 New IL'ite

Hi anmolhai & armummy... Thanks much for all ur inputs:hiya..I feel quite comfortable now..Hope i can manage....!!!!!

i will be booking my tickets in Ethihad..from chennai..changing flight in Abu-Dhabi(3hrs), then to Toronto.
    I am more worried about BF in airports...feeling bit awkward to BF in airports, if there is no rooms available....anyways....let me not get worrried anymore...just a matter of 1day:thumbsup

Cheers,
    Mini

5. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Hey relax. There would be definitely rooms exclusively to BF your kid. You dont have to worry abt it.

Also at the time of take off /Landing, the Kid may be un comfortable due to the ear Blockage. So to avoid this try to feed your kid/ or give a soother to it. This would avoid its ear bloackage.

try to check with you paed on any ear/Nasal drops that need to be given at this time (I am telling this out out of my personal experience)

6. mini983

mini983 New IL'ite

Ok...fine..!! Sure...i can manage.... ! yes i do have pacifiers..etc...
    Will take care during take-off & landings..!

Thankyou...!

Cheers,
    Mini

7. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

You are welcome :) wishing you safe travels

8. mini983

mini983 New IL'ite

Hi all...atlast reached toronto..! Had a good journey...did not face any problem....it was a smooth journey...!! all ur inputs did help me alot..

Thankyou...:thumbsup

cheers,
    Mini

9. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

thats grt to hear :) enjoy!!!