Traveller's Tales: Kissing in Mysore Palace

Discussion in 'Travel' started by tashidelek2002, Apr 9, 2010.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I had been to Mysore Palace before but one of the students who was visiting the monastery wanted to see it so we went. Anyone who has been to Mysore Palace knows its a big sprawling place (a palace!!) and there is kind of an odd assortment of things in there. It was a bit busy when we entered the palace and for that reason many people were milling around at the entrance. Going further into the palace, the crowd dispersed and we happily started looking at the beautiful items, artwork, etc. As we progressed, we could hear whispering and giggling behind us. I turned and back a ways was a large family group of locals. The eldest in the group was perhaps mid 20's and the youngest were perhaps 10 years or less...the group was perhaps 15 people. The members all seemed to be normal middle class Indians, meticulously cleaned and pressed, out for a holiday on a Sunday. I turned around and as we continued through the palace the whispering and giggling continued behind us. I said to my companions: I think we are being followed. I hoped that they would give up and go their way but sadly this was not to be. Exhibit after exhibit, room after room we continued to be followed. I just couldn't figure out in my mind why such a normal family was acting like this. Finally, in desperation, I turned and asked them: Why are you following us? All of them started giggling uncontrollably. Finally one of the guys said: we want you to kiss us. :shock:Well, that certainly was not the answer that I had expected. I said: I am not going to kiss you! They retorted that they was all they wanted and then they would leave. Me, having some general knowledge that kissing unknown men in India was not at all a social norm firmly replied that I would kiss only the girls and the little kids. They decided that would be fine so all those eligible for a kiss lined up quietly, and I went down the line giving each of them a little peck on the cheek. With that, and the taking of the obligatory picture, they were off on their way, not to be seen again. And who says Indians aren't silly!

2. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

:shock: thats something I had never heard of... !!
    I bet you felt relieved when they agreed they will shooo off if you kissed the girls and little ones :bonk

3. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Ah! I didnt have the least guess of what was it that you were gonna tell....this is something new for me and I think for you too!!!!:rotfl

4. tashidelek2002

Yes, I was certainly surprised but they were such a decent looking bunch, I think they were just having some fun with me. Probably if their elders were there nothing like this would have happened. I thought the whole thing was pretty funny!

5. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Tina:

That is really strange! You sure had some sense of humour to humour them:). They sure seem to be a weird lot. I'm relieved to know they left you alone after that episode.

Sindhu

6. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Tina,

I have never even heard of that :). Why did they want to kiss you? Did you not ask them?

Arch

7. tashidelek2002

Hi Arch
    Well, they didn't want to kiss me...they wanted me to kiss them. I did ask them why but it was just a lot of giggling....who knows.... They were all harmless...the little ones were really cute.

8. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

It is a strange thing.Maybe they knew you were from abroad and did not mind doing such things.It is simply amazing.Anyway it passed off with that.

9. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Tina;
    It was a shock and disgusting too. I cannot imagine something like this happening.
    You have handled the situation very well; Tina. You are a seasoned traveller;)
    -Nitha

10. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

That is funny Tina. You handled it with grace.