1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Travel from Madras to SFO - Questions

Discussion in 'Indians in Bay Area' started by gvi, Feb 8, 2008.

1. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Hi

I have my mother travelling from Madras to SFO through EVA airlines this month end. I have the following questions about luggage allowance

Her origin is Madras and destination is SFO and airlines is EVA. But from Madras to Singapore its Indian airlines. So I was wondering how the weight restriction on the luggage would be.

I checked in EVA airlines website and also called them locally here in SFO and they said its 32Kg/baggage so for 2 its 64Kg.

But I checked in Indian airlines website it says on the whole its 23Kgs for 2 checkin so on the whole its only 46Kg for economy and for business its 64Kg.

So any recent travellers from India to US pls.advise whats the correct weight . It really sucks .Rant Is it a recent thing that they have introduced this disparity in luggage weight.Pls.let me know of the correct weight.

Thanks
    Geetha

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Geetha,
    She Can bring 2 check in bags ( 32 kgs each). Indian airlines will know that she is a passenger coming to US , so the allowance is more. She can call IA and check with them too.

Also one other note: She will get her boarding card only till Singapore. Once she is in Singapore, she will have to go the transit desk and get her boarding passes for the Onward journey by EVA air, by showing her ticket.

All the best.

Vandhana

3. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Hi Vandhana

Thanks for your reply. I got confused by looking at this website.

Baggage

I saw the info below Piece Concept .

Thanks for the info about the checkin process. It really helps. I will let her know

Geetha

4. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Hi Vandhana and others

Looks like my mother called the Madras airport and they said the baggage allowance is 46Kgs total. Dont know what to do?:spin

Also my mother is bringing Kuthuvilaku---Long silver diya (http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Shrine/4287/kuthuvilaku.jpg) Not sure if you are aware of the term so I added a link to the image.

Do you have any idea as to how to bring it. Now with all the airport restrictions I dont want to take any risk.Her route is Madras-singapore-taiwan-sfo. In that case Madras airport would understand that its a Diya and not a weapon if she puts that in handbaggage. But when she checks in Singapore and Taiwan would packing that in Handbaggage be a problem?

Do you have any other idea. I also have second thoughts about putting the diyas in check in if it would come safe ?
    Is dismantling and putting that in checkin a better idea or packing that in handbagge a better idea. Sorry for silly questions bonk. Its just that I dont want my mom to have any tensions

Thanks
    Geetha

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Geetha,

I think Singapore is the only airlines allowing 70 lbs per bag still.All the rest have 50 lbs per bag ( so your mom has 100 lbs to work with which is plenty).

As for the kuthuvillaku, please ask your mom to put it in the check in baggage. Thats how i brought mine ( and I have like 4 pairs ). You get these nice boxes in the silver shops to pack the lamps. Ask her to get those. Give a first wrapping with the tissue paper, then use her blouses and petticoats to give a protective covering. and pack them tight in the box. Then pack it in the check baggage.

Its too cumbersome to bring it as hand baggage. and yes my lamps ( silver and bronze) all made it in good shape and that too i always use the soft luggage only!!

Hope this helps
    Vandhana

6. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Dear vandhana

Thanks for your detailed and patient reply . When you put it as 100lbs it sounds as if there are lots of space:-D. But I found even 70lbs it was not enough for me :)

Thats was a neat idea of packing kuthu vilaku. I am really glad I asked you. I will ask my mom to go to one of the shops in T.Nagar to hunt for the boxes now

But thats really a neat tip and my moms luggae is also soft luggage only

Thanks vadhana

Geetha

7. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

This might be a late reply.. Still thought of adding a word.. Air India wont allow more than 46 Kg total.. I travelled to SFO from Bangalore through AI (BLR to Singapore) & Cathey Pacific (Singapore-hong kong-SFO). At BLR airport, the AI officials told that the allowed baggage limit was just 46kg. Mine was 1-2 kgs beyond that. Since it was a smaller margin, they allowed mine.. Even Singapore Airlines reduced the weight limit from 62 kgs to 46 kgs recently. I checked their site.