Travel FAQ,websites,tips during travel

Discussion in 'Travel' started by ramyanand, Jan 4, 2008.

1. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Thanx ragini for sharing u'r valuable info with us!!

U can also post u'r travel tips,u'r travel experience etc in this thread

Cheers
    Ramya

2. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Dear friends,

A useful thread and I can understand the need for it for people visiting from abroad. It is true that the booking of hotels through the net is far more reliable and easy for hotels abroad than in India. Though I live in India, I still use some sites to do online booking and my experience is that the government run sites are reliable. For example you have karnatakatourism.com, tamilnadutourism.org,pondicherrytourism.gov.in, etc. (You should be able to reach them through google).

I find tripadvisor to be reliable not only for booking but also for reviews. Unfortunately, they dont cover too many hotels in india.
    There is this company called HammockLeisure holidays which I regularly use - especially for planning trips with kids. In my experience, they are honest and recommend only good places. Check their site - Welcome to Hammock Leisure Holidays.

I prefer home stays with kids - with 24 hour kitchen and access to kitchen. These stays are becoming more popular especially in South India. Check reviews in net before you book.

Will post more experiences later.

Cheers,

Sumathy

3. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi Sumathy
    Thanx for sharing u'r info with us..I too find tripadvisor useful..But as u said it does not cover all hotels in india...
    Will suggest Karnatakatourism to my relatives..
    TFS
    RAmya

4. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

5. ssubrs

ssubrs New IL'ite

I have a question about travel to Mumbai via Middle East.
    My husband cannot sit for long hours in the plane to travel to India. he was looking to stop over and come back in leisure. He found that the Middle East Route seems viable according to his plans. But the Blogs on the Airports is frigtening. he would like to know anybody's experiencs at the Abu Dhabi Airport. how are the transit passengers treated , unlike Dubai. He has a 5 hour stop over at Abu Dhabi and wants to know about the check in proceedures and how passengers from usa are treated.

thanks in advance for your replies

subrs

6. sudhasekar

sudhasekar New IL'ite

hai friends,

in India, u can find HolidayIQ.com which can give good info abt tourist spots as well as hotels

Sudha

7. KrutikaRao

KrutikaRao Senior IL'ite

While booking for hotels or flights in US, I look at the sites already mentioned in this thread, but if I like a price, I simultaneously look at their own company site too before booking. If I like a price about Continental flight, i also go to Continental website and check the price.

I have booked trip to India thru MakeMyTrip. It was good, no problem.
    My friends even booked their trip inside India with them and they liked it.