Travel During Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Dimple143, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Dimple143

Dimple143 Senior IL'ite

Hi everyone
    Hope you all doing good..i am here with doubts.. I am currently in 22 weeks pregnant and i stay in usa.. I am planning to go to india for my delivery during may month which i will be 7 months .. My question is that is it safe to travel during 7 months .. Its a long journey can we be able to manage such long trip by sitting.. I am so worried.. Can u all give ur advice ...
    Thanks in advance

Indeevara likes this.

2. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

It is safe to travel but u still need to ask the doc... I did travel during my pregnancy I was fine .. drink plenty of water carry snacks ..walk in the flight..

3. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

Ask your doc and the airlines. Last year, I was supposed to travel to India for my sister's wedding i was around 5 or 6 months preggers that time, but 4 airlines denied me on board. Had to cancel my india visit.

4. Indeevara

Indeevara Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    I would like to get a few pointers from you as you told ur travelling to India for delivery. I am also pregnant (very early stage) and wanting to go to India for delivery,but lots of people discouraging me to do it in India when we have a chance to do the same in US.
    But I badly want to go there. May I know what made you to decide about it ?
    Did u also face same situation as me ?
    Are there seriously so many demerits in doing delivery in India?

5. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I am pregNant now and I travelled india when I was 6 month pregnant. Stayed 1 month. My airlines and doctor allowed me to travel.follow few things while traveling
    1. Wear lose cloth which is comfortable to u.
    2. If u can, keep an baggage under ur legs to keep ur leg levitated.so that blood flow will be smooth and leg won't b swollen.
    3. When u book ticket, book seat which is near to restroom and fire exit. So that u can use restroom often and u can do some leg exercise in the free space near fire exit.
    4. Take an empty bottle in carry on bag. Fill it whenever you can and drink lots of water.
    5. I bought a special cushion ,which help me to sit comfortably in flight.
    6. Ask ur hubby to massage ur leg whenever he can.
    7. Try to walk inside the flight .
    8. Inform the air hostess to bring food early and get some snacks n keep it with u if the food arrive late.
    9. After travels first one week,leg will be swollen. Give massage, soak ur leg in warm water, keep ur leg raised above ur heart level while sleeping.
    10. Wear sandals than shoe because for me, because of swollen feet,I couldn't wear the shoe after getting down in india.
    11.two days before travel date, have a checkup with doctor and get a letter that you r fit to travel. In Dubai, they asked the letter.
    After 32 week, most airlines won't allow pregnant women to travel.so check with airlines. Don't worry,enjoy the travel.

6. Sneha999

Sneha999 Senior IL'ite

Hi
    I traveled to India during my 7th month for delivery in India.I traveled through AirIndia and I asked for my doctor in USA for a certificate that states "I'm fit to fly".This is my first pregnancy and My baby bump grew very little for my 7th month.The airlines people didn't ask me for any kind of report or anything.I thought maybe they didn't notice I'm pregnant.You can travel easily.you can walk in the flight.Although I didn't walk any and my feet are swollen after I reached destination and there I walked for 10min and they got normal.U can choose wheel chair option if u wish to.There is nothing to worry while traveling.U can even carry your own food u like saying u r pregnant.I carried some of the foods I craved and enjoyed them during my journey.have a safe journey

7. Sneha999

Sneha999 Senior IL'ite

Hi indeevara,
    I can understand your situation. I went through the same and after going to India also same questions. I delivered my baby in india. I used to debate myself daily the merits and demerits. I think you need to consider the reasons for you selecting India for delivering the baby...They maybe because of family and relations support,etc.
    Considering the merits if staying in USA...
    1. Your newborn will get citizenship.In this case citizenship is not important for us as we are going to settle in India.citizenship is of no use to you then. I also heard that your kid can permanently decide either to be Indian or American when he or she is 18 years old.If you thinking of settling here in USA u should consider delivering here.
    2. In India u can have your whole family for support during pregnancy and after birth.I was here till 7 th month of pregnancy and I always used to feel lonely as my DH goes to office and comes at evening.But after going to India I have never been alone and it felt like 3 months just flew.
    I was craving various foods which I can't find here in restaurants nor can cook them but after going there it was a feast.
    I think everyone in USA are fascinated by citizenship here and always tell for delivering here.But believe me I have seen people who had c section seeing hell after birth.
    No matter where ur baby is born ,they can study here...
    Rituals during and after pregnancy are not done here...
    Hope this helps

Indeevara likes this.
  8. Indeevara

Thanks Sneha!
    Yes I dont seem to be much fascinated with citizenship for my baby. Moreover my due date is around November 2nd week and as you know its peak winter here which also makes me worried.
    Another concern I have is about postpregnancy care which is lavishly available in my place wheraeas here its totally out of scope.
    I dont see anybody taking those care here but I believe all that is required for our future health if not immediate.
    But finding it difficult to explain to others ;friends and family

9. Sneha999

Sneha999 Senior IL'ite

Very true Indeevara!!
    Me too delivered in November and as u said due to cold My parents would have suffered if they were bought....Even the doctor in india used to ask me why come here...nobody understands what happens here...If anyone asks don't try explaining them because they won't understand...

Indeevara likes this.
  10. Indeevara

Yes Sneha! Finally found somebody supporting me completely!
    Did u face any issues in getting passport/visa for ur baby while coming back to US? I hear such things too from people .