Travails Of A Would-be Father

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Greenbay, Jun 1, 2018.

1. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Great, GB. All the best to both of you.

Greenbay likes this.
  2. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Day 1 (Thursday): MIL confirmed that she is not going to travel to US this year to help us. In a convoluted way, I am actually relieved. I am of the mentality that we shouldn't burden our parents to take care of our babies. If we know how to produce babies :), we should be prepared to take care of them too. Wife is still little apprehensive on how we handle twins. I have been watching pamper's youtube on new baby series and feel fairly confident that we can handle ourselves.

Day 2 (Friday): I am this close to finish developing my user story. If all the unit tests pass, I should be ahead of the 2 week sprint cycle by a week. Then I can spend more time with my wife in her summer break.

Happy weekend everyone.

3. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Day 3 (Saturday): Found a very cute double crib in craigslist for a bargain price. Wife insists we shouldn't buy any baby items till she completes 36 weeks. If I want to buy it without her knowledge and ask one of her friends to store for me, would that be cheating? I have till today evening to buy with cash or let it go. Appreciate input from ladies when pregnant who carried similar such belief.

Day 4(Sunday): Weather has started cooling down. From high 80s last week, it was in lower 70s last couple of days. It rained too. Strolled with wife in nearby park with umbrella. It was a nice feeling of time well spent.

4. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Boys went to last week of the sports camp. After coming home, after a while, my younger son came and thanked me for carrying his bag. I felt it was so cute. I went to Vinyasa yoga class in the night. I felt much better after one hour of stretching the muscles and synchronising the breath and the movement. Thankful indeed.

Greenbay, Giri12, Anisu and 6 others like this.
  5. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Day 5 08/13: Decided not to buy the crib to not upset the wife. Her belief is hers, so I should let her continue her faith as long as it doesn't affect us. Crib anyway is not a must-have item in our list.

Day 6 08/14: I cleaned the kitchen fully and reorganized based on how high-command preferred. Since I now know where all things are, win-win :)

Day 7 08/15: All team mtgs are cancelled due to Independence Holiday. Felt good as I had forgotten how it is to work without receiving updates in odd hours, attending meetings in odd time. Would love to work like this. I think my Indian colleagues too would have mutual feelings that they too would like to work without dancing to the tunes of US Head quarters :)

Day 8 08/16: Wife and I talked in detail about the life style changes we would have in 6-7 weeks. This is what we wanted so desperately in last 5 years but when the days are nearing, it is giving sense of dread and unknown fear. Her biggest fear is she will not be able to get up in the night if babies cry and mine is, learning to bathe them. I think practice helps and we will eventually learn. But Attending the parenting class not so much; wife is making sure I attend the classes but I feel they are more geared towards american parents who like manuals for everything :) as our fears are different.

Day 9 08/17: Working from home. Wife's uni. fall session reopens in 2 weeks, so she is slowly preparing to get back to her schedule. So today dropped her to her workplace, need to pick up in 3 hrs. Next weekend is the surprise baby shower with her friends. So if they give baby items, then what happens. Would wife accept it :)

This 100 days recording is too much for me with short attention span :) I might update again when babies are here.

6. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Day 10 08/18: Wife is convinced that she has to carry it for just 45 more days. I tell her that earlier Due date was told by doctor as Oct 3rd week. So she should be prepared for it but she says it will be Oct 2. Such disagreements are better than disagreeing on God/superstitions :)

Day 11 08/19: I tried to make trial version of antina unde (edible gum laddu). My sisters say it is better for BaNanti (new mother recovering from delivery). I followed recipe from here ಅಡಿಗೆ - Adige: Antina Unde (Edible Gum Laddus). I made half of suggested and made bigger size laddu too, so number of pieces were just 16. I think I should be able to improve in my second attempt after the delivery.

Day 12 08/20: Cloudy weather with temp just around 78-80 but forecast of rain tomorrow. I like rain. I hope we both get to walk in the rain with umbrella.

7. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Day 13 08/21: It didn't rain today but there was storm yesterday night, so the weather was still nice. I didn't get to walk with wife but I dropped her to her work on the first day of the fall semester. We talked about rain. She is obsessed with baby names these days, so any talk dominates those; she is also convinced that both will be girls. What if they are boys I tease or one boy and one girl. The talk itself gives goosebumps as an year ago, we were in such dark mood just before her fall session had started. I feel blessed and just remember my mother.

8. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Day 14 08/22: From yesterday, I was procrastinating sending an e-mail to her colleagues group on baby shower this weekend. Sent it today morning. The unknown fear that was churning inside has vanished. Now only factor is to keep it as a surprise. Does the joy increase if it comes as surprise?

9. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

08/23: Felt very empty. Cloudy hazy days do that to you. So just stayed within myself to not spread the gloominess to wife.

08/24: Anticipation of an exciting weekend has helped to cheer the mood.

10. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

08/25: Baby shower went very well and my wife said it was a total surprise to her. So proof to me that she doesn't read this website, atleast not on daily basis :). Most of the guests (except couple) bought cash gifts which I found very touching and very considerate of them as we don't know the gender. Women and men were in equal attendance. I was thinking men will be very less but was proven wrong

08/26: While going through the gifts to write thank you cards, my boss called me to convey that I have to go to a conference for 3 days in Sept first week. I am really apprehensive to leave wife alone but she handled it casually and said she will be fine. I didn't expect her to be so cool. Women are more resilient than men that's why creator made them mothers! But still I don't want to leave her alone. I hope team finds an alternative

08/27: 35th week check up (Appt. was Wednesday but wife scheduled it early on Monday). Feels like we are in home stretch. Ultra sound was done to make sure umbilical cord is not tied around baby's necks. Assistant kept asking are we sure we don't want to know the genders. OBG Doctor says delivery might happen within 5 weeks. Nervous and excited at the same time!