1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Travails Of A Taunted Tenant

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Dear Agatha,

I must confess that though I responded to a parenthetical musing in your post, it was the below line that compelled me to write back to you.

I love such emphatic constructs even in the stillness of an ambient narrative. Cold lock?! You see what you did there? I liked it very much.

I sputter in talking up to strangers online but when I do cozy up to someone based on how affectionate they sound from a brief interaction, I latch on to them like a lamprey. You may be an old lady but your humorous and youthful tone in the blogs are patterned on commedia dell'arte, in general, not necessarily in this particular instance. I like your beguiling English and those tiny yet expressive words which give an edge to your write ups. The lampreys, amongst other things, cling to these attractive verbal hooks. Henceforth this fishy Iravati shall comment on your blogs with no lapse. I do read your blogs, love them, notice the elegance in your writing, spot the 'oops-spirited' wordplay in your agile mind, but never swung around to relay any of that earlier.

But, hereafter, I swear on those meddling ghosts who colluded in my flat-hunting that none of this furtive and mutual affection shall be subdued. I too cherish a (hitherto) undeclared admiration towards your spiffy writing likewise.

knbg, Agatha83 and satchitananda like this.
  2. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Iravathi,

Very happy to get an instant and effusive response from you. Here also I got stumped by some French phrases, but I could gather the meaning from the context. May be I can take some online lessons, in expanding my vocabulary. Imagine what a terrible disaster It would be, if only the oops moments turn into oomphs! Such a crazy language is English in which you seem to have an extremely powerful grip!

Agatha83

knbg likes this.
  3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear satchi,

Short and sweet- a beautiful way you have presented your experiences regarding houses- rented and own. Even own flats comes along with its own set of problems, when the residents fail to come together regarding the maintenance of flats. I have come across people who refuse to share the expenses even on the repairs of a motor, citing silly reasons that living in the ground floor they can very well fetch water from the hand pump. Leaky bathrooms, lack of security, lack of unity among members of the housing association are some of the serious issues many of us have to face while owning a flat.

Nowadays even neighbors are complete strangers, what with most of them belonging to software industry, having unusual working hours. As you have rightly pointed out it is only the human beings who are the most dangerous species, creating nuisance at the drop of the hat!

Agatha83

satchitananda likes this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Absolutely, Agatha. Both houses mentioned above were rented. Different owners, different experiences. However, we are facing a problem in our own flat now. People refuse to part with money to replace the lift which is almost on the verge of collapse. This has been going on since at least 5 years. We payed the advance, then got it back because others refused to pay and nothing is possible unless everyone pays. The project was re-planned and we paid again and once again it is stuck as it is. There are many elderly people on higher floors. Other than waiting and watching, there is little one can do.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Agatha

You really have a lot of patience. Sad to know how much you had to struggle.

After marriage we stayed in a chawl. Since before marriage I was staying in a flat was very difficult in the early stages. My first and second child were born there. My elder daughter was born in May so it was very difficult to bear the heat. Since I was a working women it was ok. For one year I never used to go to the toilet as it was outside and had to carry a bucket and go. After going to office only I used to go.

After five years we shifted to a flat, where we stayed till 2010. Thanks to the uncle through whom we got this flat by pagdi and it was a lucky where many functions took place and my younger daughter was born.

The building was going for redevelopment so we vacated in 2010 and changed 4 houses in old age. Now we are staying in my son I law's house paying rent. Till now no progress in our building.Dont know how long it will take to get our own house back

6. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,

I know how difficult it is to live in a chawl, because after marriage, even I had to spend some time at my MIL’s place which was located in a chawl. I wondered how a football sized family could live in such a tiny space, with many marriages, seemanthams and child deliveries carried out there- but thanks to the unity among the in laws things went smoothly.

Yes, I know how difficult it is to shift houses at old age, which involves myriad of problems like change in address, change in gas agency etc. wish you shift to your own house as early as possible and spend the sunset years peacefully!

Agatha83

iyerviji likes this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Though we lived in a chawl many functions took place. My mother in law died there only. So we all might be twenty I think had to stay there only. My seemantham also took place there only.bThose days they never used to appoint a cook and they only used to cook.

Thanks for your good wishes

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

any hapless tenants hacve such experiences but not all can narrate iut like th9s!

9. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Thx Balajee, what a gr8 xperience it was, particularly my relationship with the mighty dog!

Agatha83

10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Agatha
    Believe it or not, when I get my copy of The Hindu, I go straight to the obituary column. From the size and colour of each announcement, one can imagine the status of the person who kicked the bucket. When I see guys who passed off are beyond ninety, I feel happy. But when persons of my age group make their exit, I tell myself that 'woods are lovely, dark and deep and I have miles to go before I sleep'
    @Iravati
    Agatha is a Wodehouse aficionado like me. Cold lock is a flea bite for her. There is a gang in IL entirely groomed by Wodehouse and Agatha is one of them.
    Back to you Agatha. I see that over a 1000 readers have visited your blog but there are just 19 responses including mine. If a generous percentage of readers share their views, it would be so encouraging to the bloggers. And you will become familiar to the members too!
    Sri

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Agatha83 likes this.