Translation Please

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by ChennaiExpress, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@nemesis long time..

@sokanasanah lovely explanation..could not have put it that way. and yes it is the same guy

@chennaiexpress now i suggest get some real drawings, pictures that depict shiva's dance. that is just a loosely done drawing or doodle somebody wanted to prove something about everything residing in the shiva..only that they went sleeping when chemistry classes were going on..

4 people like this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@chennaiexpress there is so much written about tandavam both Rudra and ananda tandavam or the dance of shiva as Natarajar. There is a reference and interpretation of his raised left leg over his right and also of his right over his left.

There re is a book called thirumoolar Manthram where there is reference to the cosmic dance. Since the book is on a different level. there are few books that give a better visualisation and understanding.

i would recommend the dance of shiva by ananda coumaraswamy as a simple one to understand.

You can read the book here.
    http://www2.hawaii.edu/~freeman/courses/phil300/18. The Dance of Shiva.pdf

certain theory in mythology has to be understood as just the way there though the way they have tried to embed life, secrets and planning into them is appreciable yet every action of ours cannot be related and micro-analysed to it.

So so tread with realistic caution to self.

2 people like this.
  3. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

we draw these kolams or Rangolis in front of of the house.There seem to be a link between Divinity and science which is unknown to us.I have asked myself why they draw such kolam on Tuesdays and Fridays.some experts can explain about this.Nothing silly and there is a meaning.

2 people like this.
  4. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear all,

It is quite interesting to note how every mind works and how beautiful distortions ( all of course enjoyable) take place! I am reminded of the sessions on “Communications Distortions".

Coming to the original post:
    There are three drawings-

1) Lord Shiva dance within the central two triangles of the Nine Triangles of Shree Chakram.

2) The second one is just a generic representation of an atom with a nucleus and path of electrons. (This drawing has nothing to do with Lithium, in my opinion. To represent any element normally the atomic weight is mentioned in the nucleus, not with the number of orbits of the electron)

3) The superimposition of 1 over 2 with the triangles (which are part of the great “Shree Chakra”)

The cosmic dance of Shiva has been widely discussed (Refer the references in Shanvi’s response).

Indian philosophers very clearly understood the “ Pulsating Universe” as the cycle of the five stages Manifest,( Big Bang) Maintain(Expand) absorb(Shrink), Retain(Black Hole) and Manifest (Emergence from Black hole). This is in accordance with still expanding horizons of modern cosmology including the so called “God Particle”.
    In their greatness, when this understanding was brought to the common man, Shiva represented the cause that effected the five stages as His manifestation (refer “Spanda Karikas” by Prof. Jey Dev Singh of Benares Hindu University). Interestingly If our mythology is to be taken as such, one such cycle takes 100 Brahma Years which turns out to be 386 Trillion years plus!

So the material Atom, the Energy/Radiation (vibration as dance) and the Space (One of the elements) totally constitute the Cause (shall we call Shiva) and Shiva’s cosmic dance exactly conveys this fact.

This is the reason in Chidambaram in Tamil Nadu (which is considered as the main temple celebrating cosmic dance) only “Space” is there as Moolavar (Main idol) and calling as the Chidambara Rahasyam (The secret of Chidambaram)
    How they found this great universal cycle? Surely, not through five senses.
    Then? By the sixth sense.
    What is that? You realise yourself through journey in wards, because any explanation means use of five senses only!

The above was explained to the day to day follower of religion and housewives using “Shree Chakra” where in the ultimate cause was shown as shown as 9 intersecting triangles in a circle forming a central Bindu as the seat of Shakti (Energy) of course called, Raja Rajeshwari for the simple devotee who does not want to go through this cosmic complications!

All our triangular Kolams are various adaptions of this wonderful “Shree Chakram” (Refer Periamma’s reply.)
    So coming to the original question of translation, the third figure simply relates the cosmic dance to the atom, meaning that the (atom and cosmic are related by or simply the same manifestation) of one cause (Shiva). The cycle of the five manifestation. The triangles represent the “Shree Chakra” which is representation of cosmic energy (refer any standard explanation for Shree Chakra).
    For fear of being branded as too boring, may I stop here?

Thanks for the opportunity to share my great awe and appreciation of our Philosophers who realised the purpose of all science is to know the Cause and called Him Shiva.

4 people like this.
  5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Just to correct some factual errors:

Elements are classified according to the number of protons (positively charged) in the nucleus. This is referred to as 'atomic number'.

The number of protons is generally equal to the number of electrons. Elements derive their chemical properties from their electrons. Electrons can be lost or gained in chemical interactions, so the number of electrons can vary. Protons are more stable. That's why use them for atomic number.

Atomic weight is a different idea. I will let wikipedia sort that one out.

Re: the 'atom' diagram, orbits etc. the operative word is 'generic'. I mentioned 'lithium' partly in jest. The underlying idea was to ask, what if one were to use a representation with four intersecting ellipses? More? That would not suit the "Shree Yantra" or overlap quite so nicely with the symmetries of the Nataraja. The crucial point is that, that representation of the atom has little semantic content, scientifically speaking.

The symbolism inherent in the Nataraja image is profound and beautiful as it is. There is absolutely no need to retrofit ostensibly 'scientific' ideas on it.

More later.

6. sokanasanah

Why do I say that that image of the 'atom' lacks any scientific content?

That image is loosely based on an early model proposed by Niels Bohr. It is based on a planetary conception, with the nucleus at the center (sun) and electrons as point-particles orbiting the nucleus (planets). This model served for a very brief time. Conceiving of electrons as point-particles has all sorts of problems, too complex to go into here.

The Bohr Model was abandoned pretty quickly. The current model is based on quantum mechanics, not Newtonian mechanics. It also has to take into account the wave-particle duality of the electron. When we take the wave nature of the electron into account extended to three dimensions, the physics we use is called 'spherical harmonics'. In such models, we can no longer draw cute little elliptical orbits around a nucleus. We speak instead of 'orbitals', a much more complex idea. If you want a visual, the picture below is a cross-section of atomic orbitals (remember the orbitals are 3D, this is a 2D cross section).

If we want to superimpose atoms on Nataraja, these are the images we should use.

orbitals.jpg

4 people like this.
  7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Could you elaborate on this? How does the Hindu concept of the universe account for the Higgs field/particle? I've read of the cyclical creation and destruction of the universe but nothing about the nature of matter or energy that corresponds with our current models of the universe. Haven't seen any credible material on this subject. At least nothing that doesn't come across as your usual quantum woo-peddling!

8. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Wow this is a real deep discussion ..... will read through the threads soon ....

9. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Dear prof. Soka,

I am lost in space. :confused2:

10. sokanasanah

Join the club.
    We all are - lost in space and anchored in time.
    There we need Shiva anugraha to achieve transcendence!

1 person likes this.