Translation Please

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by ChennaiExpress, Jan 18, 2015.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

What does it say in this picture? Thanks!

natarajar%u00255D.jpg

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

The language is Tamil.
    First picture: 'Dance of Shiva'
    Second Picture: 'Atomic Motion'

The third one is a superposition, trying to imply some correlation between the two. That part is silly.

kaniths and vaidehi71 like this.
  3. ChennaiExpress

Thanks for the translation.

Why do you think it is silly?

4. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

because it is silly trying to contain the Lord's dance in something that is as small as the atom's motion.

No surprises here, this should be the handiwork of those black shirts.

1 person likes this.
  5. sokanasanah

The 'Nataraja' i.e. 'Lord of the Dance' representation of Shiva is a very profound conception. If you are Indian, especially South Indian, you know the symbolism already.

On the other hand, the figure used here for 'atomic motion' is simply a cartoon. It is almost content-free. There is no reason why the 'electron orbits' (if we pretend that's what the intersecting ellipses are) should be arranged the way they are. Moreover, three orbits would imply three electrons, which in turn implies the element 'Lithium'. Why would anyone want to connect Lithium to Shiva? Why not more orbits / electrons? Why pick this one? This cartoon means next to nothing, has no scientific validity. It's a doodle, the sort of thing used for a logo - "Atomic Car Wash" - quite meaningless.

So essentially N + 0 = N. That's why I said it was silly.
    :rotfl

6. ChennaiExpress

I've heard of Dance of Shiva, but I'm not too familiar with it.

Oh wow, I didn't see it that way ..... Lithium .... I was searching google for "Dance of Shiva" and found the image I posted.

7. sokanasanah

So, either you are not Indian or grew up outside India!:)
    Happy Hunting!

8. ChennaiExpress

Yes I was raised outside of India ....

9. sokanasanah

Why the sudden interest in Nataraja? Why now? Just curious.

10. ChennaiExpress

I'm reading the book, Tao of Physics, where particle physicist Fritoj Capra suddenly had the insight to write a book on how modern physics relates to Eastern Mysticism (Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism).

This YouTube video give introduction, you can forward to 06:00 where Capra discusses his "ah ha" moment that made him write the book.

He says the only difference between Eastern Mysticism and modern physics is that in Eastern Mysticism, people from thousands of years ago had direct experience with reality, i.e going beyond the 5 senses, through meditation, and were able to develop wisdom and insights.

Just reference Bhagavad Gita and other scriptures. And see the technologies these texts bring up (i.e. during Mahabharat were they really firing arrows at each other, or were they really lasers?)whereas now, for the past 60 years, modern physics is catching up, but scientists use "rationalization" to create theories and test them out.

I'm on chapter 2 of the book, and Capra even mentions that our modern day physicists use "meditation" to gain insights of their research, i.e. when they are relaxing, taking a break, not thinking of their work at all, the idea suddenly comes at them, they have their "ah ha" moment

I keep a blog of my thoughts, and originally I wanted to post this picture to illustrate the similarities of Eastern mysticism and modern physics, but now I am thinking I will post another visual because super-imposing Lord Shiva onto Lithium atom isn't an appropriate comparison ....