1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Train Journeys

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Jan 4, 2017.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

This year started with train journey local only but you allknow how train journeys in Mumbai are. The train stops only for sometime and within that everyone gets in and gets out and in big stations the crowd is more anddifficult to get in and get out. You need not get out but people will push you out. When I got out with my husband by train I get into gents compartment. Because of myhip bone fracture it is very difficult to get in and get out but my husband would like to go by train for far of stations because it is faster. When I see the crowd I get nervous and pray to Anjaneya to help me and He helps me to get in. On 1st we had to go and see my sis in law who underwent gall bladder operation and tumour operation. She stays in Western Railway in Kandivli. While going also crowd was there but somehow we got place to sit. We had to take two trains one from my place to Dadar and from Dadar to her place. We left at 8a.m. and reached by 10 a.m. Me, my husband and brother in law went. All senior citizens. From there we left at 2 pm. We got train from her place to Dadar fast and it was very difficult to get out, somehow everyone pushed and we got down. After getting down at Dadar it was so difficult to go through the steps because of the crowd. Usually I catch and go through the steps because I feel I will fall down if I walk in the middle. When we went to Dadar Central Railway there was a big crowd. All the trains were going to long distance and there was no Thane train. We had to leave so many trains . The crowd will seem less but when the train comes all will come and get into the train . Somehow in one train my husband was saying get in but seeing the crowd my leg was not going up , somehow got in and somehow went inside and one guy was kind enough to give me place asking his son to get up. Again while getting down was a problem , sometimes the platform is very low and difficult to get down.

I always get scared whether I will fall down though while working I have travelled for 25 years by train but that time I was young and could manage and did not have health problems. Even when I was pregnant I had travelled by 2nd class only. Had got caught during rainy season many times.

Hope God will give me strength to enjoy the train journeys in 2017.

2. ritz1

ritz1 Bronze IL'ite

hello viji amma, I think senior citizen can use handicap section when it is crowded. please confirm from someone.

KashmirFlower and iyerviji like this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for your first feedback . Ya I will confirm

4. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Hey vijima,

Its very hard to travel in crowded trains. I would say any crowded transport means!

I too have a bad experience traveling in crowded trains. It happened when i was around 13 years. I went with my uncle in chennai local train during rush hour and it was horrible with the crowd. Added to that, i was groped ....it was nightmarish. There were so many guys around I didn't know who was doing it. After we got down, i cried for half hour. The sad part was i couldn't talk about it to my uncle too since i felt embarrassed. But i took a promise from him that he would never take me in a crowded compartment again!

Since then i have avoided trains like plague!

Hope you find an alternate way of traveling. You shouldn't do something that makes you nervous and scared!

iyerviji and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Happy new year 2017, Mami ! By God's Grace,you will sure enjoy the train rides this year too. Take care .

Regards,
    Pavithra

iyerviji likes this.
  6. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

I salute yours and your husband brave attitude .
    While it was just a simple narration of you read journey I was thinking of the difficulty all has to go through after an age. Hope we are as active as you guys are !
    Take care Vijima ! Walk slowly on crowded places . Sometimes you are careful but the crowd around is restless that's where the tension is .
    glad all your journeys were safe and wishes for future !

iyerviji and KashmirFlower like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Vijima, hats off to your guts to travel by suburban train in Mumbai. I was watching a documentary the other day and it was so dreadfully crowded. Please avoid travelling by train unless it is during the off peak hours. Safety first!

iyerviji likes this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Sorry to know you had bad train experience. When young I had travelled in train to office for 25 years but now due to my hip bone fracture and age I am nervous

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for your wishes dear

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Yes dear I take care while walking , you have to salute my husband because he isolder than me , he inspires me also to be brave

ashima10 likes this.