Traditional Sweets and Easy to Make Sweets

Discussion in 'Krishnaammas Kitchen' started by krishnaamma, Sep 19, 2007.

1. sundaribhaskar

sundaribhaskar Bronze IL'ite

Re: Dates and Dryfruits Burfi

Hi madam,

I have a doubt regarding the sweet. Will this burfi after being set in the refrigerator be sticky if left outside? secondly when spread over a tray and left out will it set correctly? How long will it approximately take to set , and should it be sliced into squares when warm?

Hope it is not silly doubt..

:hiya

Sundari bhaskar

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2007
  2. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sundari,

First call me Krishnaamma. ok? Yes this sweet is somewhat 'sticky' one. You will be able to cut it after keeping it in the Fridge only. To avoid the sticking, we are putting coconut powder. But the taste will be different and good. you can try it. It is easy to prepare. Here in Saudi all sweets are soft and some what sticky. :)

3. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Krishnaamma for being so patient with all my silly questions. I am so happy to make sweets with castor sugar so that I need not have the back ache of Syrup... I will try and come back with more such queries .. Finally i make a nice sweet na.. like "besan ka barfi". Very happy... I cant believe my own eyes that I have made it.. ha ha...

4. krishnaamma

Hi Mals,

Neither they are silly questions nor you are disturbing me. It is my pleasure to give reply to you. Yes, Mals I am so happy that I can help somebody, by sitting in the house.Really every time I thank Malathy for this. Can you immagine? I am here in Saudi and you are in India. But you are asking I am answeing. Very thrilling.

I think you are so exited by seeing the sweet. Why dont you put a snap (if you can) in the net. So that after seeing your feed back and sweet's photo many beginners will start trying the dish.Think and do.

You can ask me thousand or million questions I will answer them. Yes.

Note: I could not open more smillies or even I cant be in IL for more than 5 min. :idontgetit:It is showing 'no page found' Only I am facing such problems or it is for all? Please can any body answer?:eek:mg: I mail one mail to Malathy also. Please do something ya.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  5. lalliv

lalliv New IL'ite

hi ma'am, krihsnamma,
    i am very happy to go thro' the recipes u give approrpiately before each festival.though i am good at making sweets and snacks, i am not good at telling the exact proportions.:confused2: i do just at random and somehow it comes out well.when others ask me how to make and the proportions i fumble.i am very much happy to get to know the exact method and proportion of ingredients.
    cna u please tell me how to make athirasam which is a failure to me. either it dissipates ir it becomes very hard.:idontgetit: i heardand seen ppl do that for kethargowri viradham ,that is on the next day to diwali.
    i would be happy if i know this.
    i also like to say that the vella seedai i tried out during krishna jayanthi as per ur recipe came out very well.sorry for thanking u belatedly.:smile:
    luv,
    lalliv

ody, by sitting in the house.Really every time I thank Malathy for this. Can you immagine? I am here in Saudi and you are in India. But you are asking I am answeing. Very thrilling.

I think you are so exited by seeing the sweet. Why dont you put a snap (if you can) in the net. So that after seeing your feed back and sweet's photo many beginners will start trying the dish.Think and do.

You can ask me thousand or million questions I will answer them. Yes.

Note: I could not open more smillies or even I cant be in IL for more than 5 min. :idontgetit:It is showing 'no page found' Only I am facing such problems or it is for all? Please can any body answer?:eek:mg: I mail one mail to Malathy also. Please do something ya.[/quote]

6. krishnaamma

Adirasam

Ingredients:

Raw Rice : 1/2kg
    Jaggery : 1/4 kg
    Oil : Required quantity
    Cardamom

Method

Soak Raw Rice in water for 3 hours.

Dry partially. Should still be slightly wet.

Grind into fine powder using mixer-grinder.

Sieve it so that you get the fine powder alone.

The powder should be still slightly wet. Keep aside.

Take jaggery, pour just 1/2 - 3/4 cup water and boil to make "Paagu".

Before it comes to boil, filter it so that stones if any are disposed off.

Boil again after filtering. Stir frequently.

To test whether it has come to the right form, take a teaspoon of the boiling jaggery and pour it in a water cup.

If it forms a candy mass then the Paagu is ready. That is if you can form 'like a pearl' by your hand it is correct padam.

When the Paagu is ready, mix powdered Cardamom (ealakkai) to the jaggery gravy.

Remove from the fire. Put the rice flour in a big bowl.

Just take one big laddle of 'paagu' and pour it on the flour. Mix the flour.

Again take another laddle and pour it. Mix it.

Do like this till you get thick sweetened dough.

If you are having excess paagu dont mind. Let it be.

Keep the prepared dough for over night. Or you can keep it for 2 days also.

When you want to make Adirasam, take a ball of the sweetned dough.

Just make it like a disc and put that in oil.

Keep the oil in a normal heat.

Turn and allow it to cook.

Remove from the oil by squeezing it.

Your 'Adirasam' is ready to eat.

Note:You must cool the jaggery gravy(Paagu) well,before mixing it with the rice flour. Some people use sugar instead of Jaggery.

7. krishnaamma

Hi lalliv,
    Here I have given the 'adirasam' recipe. I think this will help you. Thanks for your feed back.
    I think because of excess Jaggery your 'adirasam' dissipates. Try this and give me a feed back. But just try in small quantity. So that you will not waste the ingredients. ok? Which ever be the quantity, use like this. 1 rice flour means, 1/2 jaggery. okya?

All the best.

8. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Re: Adirasam

Vanakkam,,

Seeing ur post regarding recipes has brought the the mood of diwali sweet preparation that usually starts many days prior to the function, back at home by our mothers.
    Specially athirasam is a must everytime.

This is the first diwali in Saudi for me. Will keep u all updated about what I prepare.

bye.

9. krishnaamma

Hi Saraswathi,

Nice to see your mail. All the best ! Waiting for your feed back.:yes:

10. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Krishnaammma.

Make discs of athirasam like medhu vada nah, (using palm of hand), then fry in oil right.. Raw rice is not boiled rice nah...