1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Traditional Punjabi Saag Recipe

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by ChennaiExpress, Nov 22, 2016.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

This is in Punjabi but ingredients are in English.

At end of video she mixes cooked saag (spinach) with the Turkha (onion spices mixture)

I don't understand how long these two are supposed to cook together before adding slice of butter.

Any idea?

2. Madhumagie

Madhumagie Silver IL'ite

Hi

After adding cooked blended sag to the tadka you get a cooked aroma , just taste lil you will know its done , add the butter in the end and serve immediately.

My sasuma is a Punjabi and she cooks yummy sag authentic ( no brocoli she uses cabbage lil size of a cricket ball , methi leaves small bunch palak small bunch and sarson ka baji 2 big bunches)

Its bit different from the video but this is how generally they make sag, my sasuma dont cook in cooker , she boils all the baji with tomato jeera kali mirch cabbage methi leaves palak leaves thoda sa hing and besan stirred in a cup of water and poured into the above lasun the more you put the tasty it will be usually a cup for the above quantity and also 2 inches of ginger , 10 green chillies. she keeps in low flame till everything is cooked , allow it to cool and then grind , dont add water while you grind , in the end she gives makan dha tadka , and trust me its yummy heavenly to taste and eat with makki ka roti .

radv likes this.
  3. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

Besan sounds good. Will try next time I make this sag. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Madhumagie likes this.
  4. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

I will incorporate this .... it will be first time I am cooking saag ....

learning to cook makki ka roti is next!

Madhumagie likes this.