Tour Holidays- Darjeeling

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by sushmasrivastav, Jun 12, 2009.

1. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

One of the highlights of our <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Darjeeling</st1:place></st1:City> trip was a ride on the world famous toy train as it chugged passed tall trees, tunnels and verdant green hillsides. The famous Darjeeling Hill Railway toy train takes about seven hours to complete its journey from the New Jalpaiguri Raliway Station to the hill top destination of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Darjeeling</st1:place></st1:City>. In case you are in a hurry you can take a ride in a jeep, car or bus. The Darjeeling Hill Railway was given heritage status by UNESCO at its session in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Morocco</st1:country-region></st1:place>, 1999.
    Other popular tourist destinations include a trip to the Tiger Hill to see the sunrise, a visit to the Ghoom Railway station which is the highest railway station in <st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region> and a trip to the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Padmaja</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Naidu</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Zoological</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Park</st1:placeType></st1:place> with its wide assortment of animals and birds.
    Have you visited <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Darjeeling</st1:place></st1:City>! Do write in with your account of the place!

2. Aparna77

Aparna77 Senior IL'ite

Darjeeling is my favorite hill station too. I have just returned from a visit to the hill station. We took the North East Express and got down at New Jalpaiguri station. From there we took a cab to Darjeeling. Every time, I go there I spend some time at Mirik which is enroute to Darjeeling.
    Cheers:cheers

3. Sonya4mdelhi

Sonya4mdelhi Senior IL'ite

Wow... seems like you had great fun. You know, I have always wanted to visit northeast India, but never got a chance to. I had a school friend who was from Guwahati and she used to tell me what a great place it is.

I really wish I was living in a place like Darjeeling or Sikkim and not in Delhi. Delhi has become too crowded and polluted these days. There is no clean air or water in this state:rant.

But then again, I don't think I can live anywhere else then Delhi. I don't think I can survive without internet, mobile network, malls and multiplex :rotfl

4. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Aparna and Sonya for stopping by.
    Sonya, Internet etc is available in Darjeeling too. Darjeeling is a proper bustling town. It has many reputed schools in which rich kids from neighbouring countries like Bhutan and Bangladesh come to study. Kids from Assam and Bengal too come to study here.
    I found branches of all major banks there including ICICI and Bank of India. There is even a mall there. But of course, living in hills has its own share of problems.One disadvantage is that whenever there is a strike call by the Gorkha groups, the entire town shuts down. You have to stock up essentials and there is no way you can go down the hill to Siliguri etc.

5. sweetsanjam

sweetsanjam Senior IL'ite

Yes, I too have visited <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Darjeeling</st1:place></st1:City>. Besides Tiger Hill, we visited the <st1:placeName w:st="on">Japanese</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Temple</st1:placeType> and the Peace Pagoda, the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Ava</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Art</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Gallery</st1:placeName></st1:place>.
    We also visited the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Ganga</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Mayya</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Park</st1:placeType></st1:place> which is a beautiful picnic resort developed by the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council. There is a lake with boating facilities and a small bridge over it. The park has an open air auditorium where the local people put a good song and dance show. There is also a Rock Garden which includes “a baby <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Howrah</st1:City></st1:place> bridge” and a massive brick and mortar lotus.
    We rounded off our visit by sipping <st1:City w:st="on">Darjeeling</st1:City> tea at a Tea Garden and bought nice <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Darjeeling</st1:City></st1:place> tea in cute little pouches at the Mall. Our guide told us that many Bollywood films were shot at <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Darjeeling</st1:place></st1:City>. Do you know which ones?

:cheers