1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tough time adjusting to school after vacations

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by vidyarp, Jul 10, 2009.

1. vidyarp

vidyarp Bronze IL'ite

Hi all..
    I am a mother to a 3.5 year old boy. He is the only child and as a result center of all our attention. I work full time and during the day, my mother in law looks after him. We stay together. We had put him in playschool when he was about 2 years and 2 months. He took a long time to adjust to play school. He cried every morning and vomited his milk and breakfast everyday. Somehow after 6-7 months, he started liking his play school. There the teachers would always say that he is just not interested in coloring. All he wants to do is stay outdoors, run and play. They said that he was very intelligent and knew much more than his fellow students so never lagged behind in studies/activities. But coloring was an issue. He refused to do it. Another issue was with eating. Never ate anything.
    Then this year, after a great deal of efforts, we got his admission done in one of Delhi's best schools. and we see a repeat of the same issues.
    He cries everyday in the morning. Vomits in school. Doesn't color. Loves sports and other activities like cutting/pasting/reading/blocks etc...anything but coloring. I spent the entire summer vacation trying to get him to color at least 2 pages/day. Now that the schools have reopened, its back to square one. He howls when we enter the school gate and throws up. His lunch box remains intact. He doesn;t even drink water. But as per the teacher, he stops crying the minute i go.
    We have tried talking to him (and he seldom tells us what he did in school. I have to probe and find. Sometimes i get lucky), scolding him, being nice to him but nothing works. If i say that u wont get this since you were a bad boy today, he says fine..thats ok. I dont need it and sulks in a corner.
    I am at my wit's end. Any help is appreciated!!

2. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    3.5 yr olds usually have a short term memory.they stay at home for a week & forgot about the time they went to school,so everytime he goes to school after vacation its like 1st time for him.
    i suggest u take a leave of 1 week & try to settle him in this new school .asha,another ILitian had posted excellent thread on how she settled her dd at school.take tips from that .
    if he vomits the milk,stop giving it,try a banana or apple.ask him what does he wants in his tiffin.if he wants maggie then pack it by making it more nutritious by cooking in whey protein or veg stock,adding egg or boiled veg in end.already,he is facing the stress of going to unfamiliar surroundings plus if food is not of his liking he gets more annoyed hence the continuation of daily tantrums.
    don't make the issue of colouring.if he dosent like it then accept it.tell the teacher not to force him.when he will see other kids doing it in class & enjoying it,he may also start doing it.
    never call a child 'bad'.tell him his act was bad .he is good boy but he did a bad thing today like crying.then ask him the reason like why does a good boy like him does a bad thing like that.he may give u an answer which may surprise u(my boy said the new shoe was pinching him so he was crying)
    hope it helps
    pragati