1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Tough task of toning the lower abs

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by pman16, Dec 6, 2011.

1. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hello friends,

After getting rid of the extra baggage and getting back to ideal weight, im now on the task of toning the lower abs. This is not easy.

I dont want to tone my upper body but only the tummy part. Also it is not making any effect if i only do crunches everyday. I have to do cardio and then followed by ab workout. With the winter on, im not having the inclination to go out daily.

I planned to have personal training session but it is damn pricey...abt 65 $ per an hour. Not sure how much this will help and what they will be able to do in an hour.

I want to have a time limit and hence looking for some suggestions/options.

1 person likes this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

did you try jm's 6 weeks 6 packs.

don't laugh but i could only think of belly dancing for lower abs..a nice way of trying..no harm in giving it a try.

i agree with you just concentrating on abs alone does not work, you need cardio along with abs workout according to some material i read from a new letter.

not to forget zumba..

just wanted to tell you you are doing great and will conquer this too.. all the best..

1 person likes this.
  3. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Shanvy,

Thanks for that quick reply. I hoped to hear from you.

I have tried all sorts of cardio in the past and zumba being the most. Now if i do more cardio im losing the fat from shoulders etc which is making me look droopy. I tried swimming the same thing happened. I want to focus only on tummy part. I feel the bulge esp in jeans not in indian dresses (salwars). Also i want to have a flat tummy bcos i dont want to accumulate any further pounds there due to whatsoever reasons if i gain weight. I hv tried my best (and successful) in maintaining the weight for more than year now.

Hope Shiva steps in sometime. Miss her around in motivating us.

Im very bad at doing workouts all by myself. I mean I need a working partner and loud music most of the time esp in winter.

This is an everyday task. I hv tried JMs videos earlier ..maybe again i hv to try it.

4. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Pman,
    running and cycling helps a lot in reducing the lower ab's. so when doing cardio trying cycling.
    hope this helps
    love
    alpa:cheers

2 people like this.
  5. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pman,

I stepped in. Lots and lots of love to you babes.

As for the lower tummy bulge, I guess its not much but what you are looking for is a flat tummy effect. A flat tummy happens under a professional guidance and lots of toning exercise.

Before starting make sure to measure yourself and then you can monitor your progress.

1. Google planks. The idea is to lift your body weight with the help of your tummy muscles. They are effective as you will feel the tummy muscles engaging in the exercise. According to the Doctors TV show (which I watch :D) this is one exercise which really works on tummy.

2. Yoga and Pilates also help in engaging and toning the tummy muscles.

3. Belly dancing does help, you can suck in the tummy and move the lower tummy muscles, you can do it any time. Basically the idea is toning as you do not have much fat to lose.

4. Make sure to stick to your exercise and diet.

Lots of love. Will write to you a long mail soon.

Muaah Muaah.

regards

7 people like this.
  6. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

@Alpa, I shall try to do more of cycling and see the difference.

@ Shiva... glad to see you here. I wanted to try pilates but the class timings does not suit me at present. Im going for sculpting class once a week. The effect which i can feel on my abs after the class is not the same when i do at home and hence the dissatisfaction.

Will wait to hear from you.

7. sridevi1977

sridevi1977 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Pman.
    I have learnt from a trainer once, the following exercise for lower tummy.Make it a try.

Lie down on the floor with flat back and stretched out legs.
    Raise left leg and try to grab your ankle with both hands while slowly lifting the right leg off from the floor.
    Now,Raise the right leg and grab right ankle with both hands while lowering the left leg just near the floor but make sure your feet do not reach the ground .
    Repeat the same action with other leg.
    One important rule while you do this is,maintaining the speed. We need to grab one ankle and grab the other ankle very fast leaving very much minimal amount of time interval.
    Also make sure that each time you grab your ankle, try to pull it inwards towards you with maximum intensity.

We can start with 20 sets and gradually increase to our ability. Try to do it regularly 2 times in a day.

I must have to say that you are doing a great job in maintaining the lost weight. Rather than losing, maintaining is very difficult. Way to Go Pman...All you girls are true inspiration... God Bless You dear...

5 people like this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Pman,

Now that sridevi says, raising your legs against gravity(start with one leg, and then both, boy it is so difficult to raise your legs without any support..even a good 45 degree will help) using your tummy muscles while lying down flat works. you can actually feel the pull on your lower tummy. this was one of the exercises that was discussed later i was asked not to do it, because of the starin.

9. love19

love19 New IL'ite

does any one have a real good exercise to reduce the lower tummy. i hv tired gyming a lot but dont see the difference. pls advise

10. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am using few videos from Beachbody.com
    My DH uses 'slim in 6' by Debbie seibers and I use both 'Slim in 6' & ChaLEAN Extreme.

He got his six pack from 'slim in 6'.
    I didn't any pack,but got a flat tummy & even reduced 3-4 inches of my lower ab.

1 person likes this.