1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Touching MIL's feet everyday

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by cheenu123, Nov 1, 2013.

1. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

First when I read this message, I thought there was a joke followed which I did not understand. Looks like you are rather serious about touching husband's feet that too you want to touch everyday and have an opinion that ladies must touch husband's feet.

If you are interested, please do so. I find it ridiculous to touch husband's feet. It is not about equality/inequality for me. I don't understand WHY. Hence, I don't.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    7 people like this.
  2. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

i am unmarried, so i guess i can give an unbiased perspective on this.

in hindu shastras, husband is considered god, therefore touching his feet or eating his remnants is considered a good deed, therefore giving the same benefit as touching god's feet.

once married, i don't know, my opinion might change.

alot of women do not wish to do so, considering their husband's attitude or habits which is fine, as husbands too are not as pious and dutiful, as during the vedic times.

in my opinion, i would definately not want my mother to touch my father's feet.

but that does not make it untrue, so please don't call it a joke, it could hurt someone's sentiment, who takes the pain to practice it, even in this age.

2 people like this.
  3. Priyas660

Priyas660 Silver IL'ite

Good for you girl. But please don't say it is must. I would personally never do that. Maybe my husband is my friend and lover. Not God.

According to shastras there are many things even a husband has to do. We don't do it anymore becoz times have changed thats all.

SCA, janbornchild, oaktree12 and 2 others like this.
  4. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

I did not call the "act" of touching husband's feet as a "joke". I tried to explain something else. Leave it. Not worth it.

Happy Diwali.

4 people like this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In the Hindu shastras the woman who enter a house is considered Goddess Lakshmi herself. Then why are women oppressed and suppressed in the same culture? Why do we dozens of threads each day where women want to get treated as human beings, forget about being treated as Lakshmi! In the Hindu shastras girl children are supposed to be an incarnation of Lakshmi Devi. Then why are there laws in place to prevent sex determination and female foeticide. There are lots of things in the Hindu shastras that have been thrown in the wayside loooooong ago. I think we need to add giving artificial respect and hence abusive powers to certain privileged individuals, along with all the other discarded beliefs.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  6. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Ohh yaar

Things like touching feet should come out of respect.

I do it when i see my inlaws in the airport and again when i am leaving.

But if i was forced to do it everyday then ......let me think...thinkingsmiley:......:idea:
    then i'll take it as an exercise for my back.:biggrin2:

But the day i'll start having a "back pain" i would not do it again....ever.

OP
    i hope you've understood what i meant ;-) :biggrin2:

7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

The same Hindu culture considers daughters/dils as ghar ki Lakshmi. Lakshmi = Goddess of wealth. Would anyone be ok with money being placed on their feet (I am saying this because we consider paper/books to be sacrosanct and would never place our feet on it because it is considered disrespectful to Goddess Saraswati). If we worship money, not the Goddess of wealth. Why allow her to touch our feet?

SCA, janbornchild, RadhiSrini and 3 others like this.
  8. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

dear satchinanand,

i didn't understand your post completely, but i guess you're trying to say, why if women are considered laxmi, can't we place money on their feet.

you must be knowing, that when a bride first reaches her marital home, there is a ceremony called 'grah pravesh', where a bowl filled with rice is placed at the doorstep, and she is supposed to lightly kick it with her toe, so as to diperse the rice throughout the house entrance.even during vidaai, a girl throws rice backwards with her hands, and the father catches it in his hands

even food is treated with great respect in hindu culture, then why is a woman allowed to touch her feet to it? because she the laxmi of that house, and therefore she is blessing that house with wealth by dispesing that rice evenly throughout the house with her feet. and because she is leaving her father's house, she is leaving her blessings behind, in form of that rice.

is any man given any such right in hindu culture? is he ever allowed to touch his feet to food? only and only women are given this right. women are said to be laxmi, no man is said to be ram or krishna.

religion treats men and women equally, some rituals hail women, some men. only because some men abuse women, women have developed this attitude against men and view certain rituals like touching the husband's feet as a disrespect to women.

i hope i didn't hurt you or other members here, i was just trying to give my viewpoint.

9. ardhra

ardhra Gold IL'ite

Well, In the Hindu culture, just before the marriage ceremony (Tying of the Mangalsutra), there are some mantras chanted.. The meaning of those mantras goes like this :

From this very moment, the Guy and the Girl become independent. They are free to lead their lives with each others consent. However, they should not forget their parents and must treat them fairly and must take care of them at their ripe age...

After tying the Mangalsutra, both of them promise each other that they will trust each other and will not allow any external forces (includes PIL, Parents and literally everyone on this earth) to destroy their marriage...

These things are never followed... PILs will still think their DS is a KID and DIL is some girl who has come to take back their DS... These insecurities will make the PILs to do all possible natak...

Well, Since they do not follow everything written in the Hindu Culture, we also will not follow everything that is written... So, no touching feet...

The day they follow the culture properly, then we'll surely touch their feet with lots and lots of respect :thumbsup till then a BIG BIG NO

1 person likes this.
  10. Anbhu

Anbhu Silver IL'ite

If you are away from your home (say to you mom's home or tour) for few days you can stop from the day you return back. If she asks you can say since you were away not touching her feet for few days, you forgot the custom at all or used up not to touch her feet.

Or

Just stop touching her feet. Even if she asks infront of everyone why you are not touching her feet just say one sentence "you are getting back pain if you bend down to take some thing". If she says but you bend to take other staff if need from floor say "that is a must I cannot help it".

Or

tell her your friends are making fun of you following old movie heroin practices.