1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Torn Between Career And Current Situation With Dh

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by gdwwm1, Sep 27, 2017.

1. gdwwm1

gdwwm1 Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    I am back again after a long time almost a year, At times of tough decisions I always turn to this forum for unbiased advice. Just a small description of my life.
    I am married from almost 10 yrs now with a 5 yr old son. After marriage moved to US and cam back few years ago. I had a six year long career break. After which by gods grace I landed a contract job in a good company, Pay wise not great but with my break and all seemed like dream come true. I am still working at the same job and I have been appreciated many times for my work there. But past couple of months lot has been changing in the company and I have been asked to connect from a location different from my client and chances of becoming a permanent employee is very brim, plus we have a huge home loan so thought of trying out for permanent jobs. My dh 's salary is pretty low as compared to market standards and my pleas for him to change his job is as usual falling on deaf ears, I have given up on this aspect. .Another reason I was looking for change was that I am after all a contractor here and will be let off any time, though my manager is happy with my work .
    So I finally landed a job at a MNC which is a biggie in the US , but relatively new in India, They are offering
    everything a person would dream of , good package, Pickup and drop, wfh. But the problem is its 2 hr commute from my current residence. We have our own place,my sons school is near by. I have very less help from DH interm's of house work, he is saying he will help out but I cannot rely on this promise . He is egoistic by nature and even the smallest thing will piss him off and he will not help, may be he will change i don't know but its a variable. Also the pickup time they are suggesting is at 6:30 in the morning which means I cannot get my son ready to school n see him off. Also if i shell out my own cab fare it will come to almost 15000 per month or more . Plus will have to keep a maid for cooking n helping so obviously what i will save will be more than now but not that significant. My biggest fear is not being able to spend time with my son, and being so far away from home, They are saying they want diversity at work and support female employees but all these flexibility depends on the team we join . I spoke to my ex colleague and she said in her team they are very strict about timing. There is no way i can leave by 6:30 considering my current situation. I asked advice from my parents but the are also not supportive of me taking this job, see my mom hates to come and live with us, they do help out but hate every minute of it because they are used to their life and find living in a different city very inconvenient, but they do help out. But her constant irritation is spoiling the house environment,I try my best to help out but its never enough, With my ils its like i am the alone interm's of house work no help with cooking they take care of my son while i am in office but they need every meal, breakfast, my son's food snack every single thing in the house I have to do no help at all. so i will have to plan everything to the core.
    I am really confused whether to take this job offer or not and I am already running out of time, I need to decide like yesterday . What should I do,
    option 1. A comfortable job with less pay and no certain scope of growth but i will be bale to give more attention to my son,
    Option 2: or take a job which seems to be a good opportunity (good pay, wfh 2 times a week, permanent job, good benefits) but has unknowns it may be the best decision of my life or the worst decision , but I cannot effort to be job less as we need 2 incomes to run household, so this goes the other way I am screwed. Plus a husband who is super moody, always shouting and never understanding my point of view. He was happy that i got the offer though and told me to go for it, but very smartly saying its your decision, He doesn't spend much time with us, always working or in front of laptop. Currently he will wake up get ready leave for work come late at night sleep and same pattern till weekend, weekend will be lazing around and if I say we will go out some where that time also he will sit in front of laptop. If i tell him to spend time with DS he will make him watch TV with him, or may be engage in some activity, but he will never take him out or plan anything,I don't know, our marriage has become so boring, that is another post for another day.
    With our current fiances we just are having enough to manage, we cant go on any trips or take my son to places, I feel bad for him sometimes, He will always say why i am at home only , Hubby knows he is underpaid and over worked but wont do anything about it.
    Plus another thing that is worrying me is I am 33 now, We do have plans for second child I would love my son to have a sibling may be next year if our finances become stable , so how will i mange a new job long commute if i manage to conceive.
    All this is making me very confused. I need all your advice as what i should do. The reviews on job portals say they are flexible and give wfh but we cant be sure until we join the organization. and if I am forced to commute daily i am in big trouble.
    Kindly advise friends , really need urgent advice

2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Take the job.

yellowmango, Sunburst, Rihana and 2 others like this.
  3. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Agree & also don't have 2nd child till you can get your husband to cooperate & help you with kid & also behave well with you (not being temperamental). First stabilize , then everything else.

yellowmango, sindmani and Nonya like this.
  4. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

Take the new job and try it out. Your house is holding u back more than anything. Rent out your house and move closer to new job after couple of months. Your son is only 5. He can adjust anywhere. Tell ur H to travel from new place as he is of no help in regards to household chores anyways.
    If its a man in ur place, he would take up the job without batting an eye.. better finances will give better future. Who knows.. u may buy a bigger house with this new job.

5. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

In my opinion, this job is a great opportunity for you, and normally I would advise you to take it. The only reason I think you shouldn't, is the 2 hour commute. That is an excessively long amount of time that you will waste daily, with no option to leave work early. If your son is well adjusted and can be dropped off by someone else, and you will definitely have 2 WFH days a week, then this is the perfect opportunity. If you are able to consider moving closer to this job, I would also tell you to take this job, but as things stand, I think that this is not the best change for you. As a mother, you will be missing a lot of your son's time, and it may be something you think back and feel bad about. I agree with the previous poster, it's the house that will hold you back.

gdwwm1 likes this.
  6. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

Take this Job. You have wfh 2 times a week. So it is just about 3 days a week.

Indirectly it will make your h to take some extra step.
    You talk to h in such a way that you are taking this job to support family finance .Same way he has to take extra steps to house hold and taking care of son.

Weekends one day take your son to park and spend some quality time (you, h, son, no mob and laptop)

7. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Is there a possibility of reducing the commute by moving closer to your new job location? So that you can manage work, home and the kid without your DH's help. Let your DH commute to work and slack as he wants?

It will give you an option to save more time/money instead of making yourself uncomfortable about the new work. Did you ask your DH about that option?

Flexible at work, can mean many things, overtime, weekend/late night coverage, holidays, WFH (internet/mobile charge cost is paid??). Clarify the terms 'what flexible' means.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  8. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

Dear friend, i can understand ur predicament since I was in the exact same position as you just few months ago. I made the decission to commute for 4hrs everyday. I hve started meal prep on weekends and no cooking on weekdays. I wfh 2 days. Husband handles my preschooler on all other days. Its doable but the commute and stress can take a toll on your heath. Also spending quality time with the child is hard as we get tired on weekdays and weekends are busy in cleaning, meal prep etc. You commuting 4 hrs everyday cannot be a long term solution, either you should move closer to work after few months or look for better positions in your area now. I dint regret my decission to take the job as it gives me financial freedom, but i am still waiting for a good oportunity closer to home. :)

9. sweetsmiley

sweetsmiley Platinum IL'ite

My suggestion would be "please continue in current job"...
    4 hrs commute is not easy and it will spoil ur health...search more and u will definitely get something nearby..

swiss likes this.
  10. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

This is a cost-benefit calculation. The worst-case question you have to ask yourself is: if I do this experiment (of taking this new offer) and then hate it (the job, the commute, whatever), then, (a) how hard would it be to find a new job? (or move closer to this one) and (b) what is my break-even point for the switch i.e. say after 6-months of enduring the inconvenience, would my resumé be demonstrably better? One year? 3 months? Try to figure this in your calculations.

Good Luck!:beer-toast1:

Anisu, swiss and sweetsmiley like this.