Top colleges in economics and commerce in India

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by sherapova, Apr 19, 2013.

1. sherapova

sherapova New IL'ite

1. St. Stephen's College, University of Delhi(Est: 1881, ) St. Stephen's College - Home
    2. Shri Ram College of Commerce(SRCC), Delhi(Est: 1926) - Welcome To Shri Ram College of Commerce
    3. LSR College for Women, Delhi(Est: 1956) - Lady Shri Ram College for Women, New Delhi
    4. Hindu College, Delhi(Est: 1899) - Hindu College , University of Delhi - Powered by Cyberica Net Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
    5. Narsee Monjee College, Mumbai(Est: 1964) - NMIMS | Top University in India | Leading Business School | Narsee Monjee Institute of Management studies
    6. St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai(Est: 1869) Home
    7. Loyola College, Chennai(Est: 1925) - ::Loyola College::
    8. St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata(Est: 1860) - St. Xavier's College - Calcutta
    9. Symbiosis College of Arts & Commerce( Est 1971) Welcome to the Symbiosis college

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2013

2. Wondergirl137

Wondergirl137 Gold IL'ite

Re: Top commerce colleges in India...

OP, please check the information throughout before posting it online. St. Stephens is not the topmost college for commerce, in fact Stephens doesn't even offer commerce course. Do not spread wrong information just for the sake of increasing your post count. And FYKI SRCC happens to be the top most for commerce.

3. sherapova

sherapova New IL'ite

ya you are right, St. Stephens offers courses in economics but not commerce. The title of thread should have been top colleges in economics and commerce.

4. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

I believe SRCC (Sri Ram College of Commerce) at Delhi University has perhaps one of the best under grad programs in commerce.

5. sherapova

sherapova New IL'ite

you are right. if i am nto wrong cut off for admission to bcom will be around 96.5 to 98.5 per cent. For the coveted B.A. Economics (Hons) course, SRCC declared a range of 96.5 to 98.5 per cent.

In India most top colleges in major cities are owned by Christian missionaries, so 50% seats are reserved for Christians.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  6. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

While St. Stephens is very highly ranked at DU, the other big schools in DU were not founded by missionaries (the popular schools at DU include LSR, SRCC, Hansraj, Hindu, Gargi, Sri Venkateshwara, JMC). I know that seats are reserved in the Christian colleges, but not sure about the percentage. Besides, even with the reservation, the applicants do need a very high score in their class 12 exams to gain admission. SRCC is governed by the Sri Ram Group of companies (as is LSR).

2 people like this.
  7. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

That's the best of 4 average (english, math, and two other subjects). But often there would be a second list out after the super-high cut offs on the first list.

8. sherapova

sherapova New IL'ite

True i knwo that . but i was speaking through out the country, not only delhi.

I am sure. Its 50%. google it.

true.

9. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Not just the ones run by Christian missionaries, all institutions run by linguistic or religious minorities have been given the privilege to give 50 percent to that minority. Mumbai's top colleges: HR, Jai Hind, KC, Thadomal Shahani, National are all run by Sindhis and there is 50 percent reservation for Sindhis. Similarly all the colleges run by the South Indian Education Society (SIES) fall in the same category and 50 percent of their seats are reserved for South Indian language speaking students.
    SP Jain - a top management college in India is run by the Jain community and they have 50 percent seats reserved for Jains.
    Guru Nanak College and Institutes have 50 percent seats for Punjabis.

10. sherapova

sherapova New IL'ite

Though i am not in to commerce, for top colleges like SRCC ,i feel its futile to wait for second list.