Top 5 sites for content writers to find work from home

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by vandanarajesh, Jan 7, 2010.

1. vandanarajesh

vandanarajesh Bronze IL'ite

For all those who have been looking forward to a work from home content writing opportunity here are a list of sites that would help you get started. I have listed below the top 5 sites that have been useful to me. However, would also like to add a note of caution that there are many frauds online and with no way to track them one needs to be really careful. It is advisable to have their contact numbers and other details before starting work. As regards remuneration do not wait to finish a 100 articles before you ask for payment. There are clients who make you work but make all sorts of excuses when it comes to payment and in the end do not pay. Ask for a per assignment or per week/fortnightly payment to start with.

My top 10 list of job sites where you would be able to find freelance content writing jobs and they are updated regularly:

• Naukri.com: Naukri is as I mentioned in Work from Home – my journey in the writing world, where I made my beginning. You may find that most jobs here are office based however, many prospective employers are ready to give work from home a try. There is also an increase in freelance and work from home jobs recently. Check out the heading “content/journalism”.
    • Monster.com: This is yet another good job site. Some research has shown that there is yet another site operated by monster authorlink.monster.com and this too looks interesting. Monster has jobs specially listed for freelancers. Check the “entertainment and media” head.
    • Craigslist.com: craigslist is another one of my favorites. It has openings in different parts of the world listed. In India too, you would find openings in various cities. Check the writing/editing section after choosing your city and you would find a number of freelancing opportunities.
    • Problogger.net: This is a site that works as a great guide for content writers. Darren Rowse who is the owner of the site is one who makes a huge income only by blogging. But believe me, it sure looks easy but making a great income with a blog is a lot of hardwork. However, patience, persistence and being regular is the key to success with blogging. There is a job board here that is updated regularly. You would find on Problogger a lot of information on good writing, SEO and the other technical issues related to content writing.
    • Freelancewriting.com: A good site that lists freelance writing opportunities both paying and non-paying.
    In addition to these sites, there are other like Elance work from home jobs, Guru, Get a freelancer and many others where you could bid for assignments. However, it would take time for you to begin here with so many writers making really low quotes and to get selected from the many quotes is a slightly difficult process. Be sure to have some writing samples ready before you apply.

Timesjobs.com, Bloggerjobs.biz, Indeed.com, freelancewritingigs.com are other sites worth checking out. Here I would also like to make mention of communities like “Content Writers” and “Web Content Writing” that feature freelance writing ads regularly. Also keep a look out for frauds named on these sites by other writers and keep off them completely.

I am available on the IL forum for any query/doubt that you may have. Do leave me a comment and let me know about your progress. Happy Writing!!

7 people like this.

2. saishrudhi

saishrudhi New IL'ite

hi mam ,

Thanks for providing the informations & this would be an eye opener for the people to start with their home based job. Please provide me the exact contact person and to get started with for this content writer job or pls provide ur mail id to speak with...........I am very much interested jobs from home and would like to leave my present job to take care of my son.... Please suggest as u do have a 4 years of experience in this field.

Thanks,

Regards

R.Vidhya

3. vandanarajesh

Hi Saishrudhi,
    Have listed the sites that have been helpful to me in making a beginning. These sites are updated on a regular basis with freelance writing works and thus, you would have to go through for jobs that interest you and suit your specific profile. Will be available here for any further doubts , if any. However not in a position to provide contact details here due to forum rules ...u may do so using private messages.

4. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Thanx for the useful websites and guidance,Vandana.

5. vandanarajesh

You arewelcome Shakambari... do keep me posted on your progress in your work from home ventures...I am sure all of us here would be able to benefit from it.

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

thank you so much vandana for this list... it was completely new to me:)

i have bidded for projects in elance work from home jobs. hope i get a project soon:hide:

your tips really helped me and motivated me more.....

just one question vandana, how do employers/buyers in freelance websites like elance work from home jobs or guru.com pay us? i am currently in US but my visa does not allow income..is it possible to get this money earned(if any:bonk ) in my india account...??

Neha S

7. anjellara

anjellara New IL'ite

Hello Vandana,
    Here you have mentioned some site for work from home.
    Is there surety of getting work and payment on regular basis?
    Is there any first time charges?

8. skchivukula

skchivukula Bronze IL'ite

thank you vandana fro providing such a useful info for wfh

9. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Great Vandana.

Very useful guidance.

10. vandanarajesh

@Angellara, the sites mentioned do not require you to make any payment whatsoever for registration. All the job openings are listed alongwith the contact information of the prospective employer and you may apply directly to the company and if shortlisted the company would inform you directly on your mentioned email id/phone number. All the Best!!