1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Too small? Not for me!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Kamala
    That's precisely the point! If we can find a way to infuse some life into the work we do, no work can ever be called a bore. I joined the SBI as a Probationary Officer in 1965 and unlike today, the direct recruit officers were required to go through the mill for two years. We were all started as a trainee in the dispatch section which involved putting the enclosures in postal covers, stamping them adequately and sending them to post office. At the end of the day, we would be required to tally the account too. It was such a boring job that I used to curse my fate of landing there after a reasonably good academic career.

It was then I got hold of PG Wodehouse's 'Psmith in city'. This guy Psmith also starts his career as a Dispatch Clerk in a Bank. Incidentally, Wodehouse himself worked in a Bank initially and his description of that work was authentic and rollicking. Then I realised that I was looking at the whole job from a wrong perspective and like you started devising my own ways of dealing with every job. Needless to say, how life perked up since then!
    Sri