Too much itching during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by laksn, Jan 18, 2007.

1. jaivid

jaivid New IL'ite

Itching in and around Navel

Hi,

I have been having itching sensation in and around navel since last week. I am 31 weeks pregnant and would like to know if any one has also faced it... What could be the possible reasons and what should we do to stop that...

thanks!

Jaya

2. Pritirach

Pritirach Silver IL'ite

Re: Itching in and around Navel

Hi

It is quite common during pregnancy.Now,your belly is growing so your skin is streching.That's the reason for itching.Regularly apply body lotion to retain elasticity.It is common do not worry.

3. jaivid

jaivid New IL'ite

Thank you for such a quick response... this helps!

regards
    Jaya

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear girl,
    it is due to pregnancy. people will say baby's hair is growing.:). but be careful do not scrach with sharp nails.when you feel the itch slightly rub it with a muslin cloth or with sterilized cotton. better toapply coconut oil in the morning before taking bath. o.k.
    with love
    pad.

5. ashapradeep

ashapradeep Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

My itching too started when i was around 32 weeks pregnant. Its pretty common. But it turned out to be signal for the upcoming stretch marks. Dont scratch and try to apply lotion so that skin doesnt dry, it wont stop stretch marks, but it can help with the itching.

Asha

6. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Hi,

It happens usually at this time of pregnancy. Actually I scratched my tummy inspite of controlling a lot, sometimes my skin just gives up so easily and bleeds a little like I injured myself.. This wound gets healed in 2 days but leaves a nasty looking dark strech mark for quite a few months. Anyone who would see this wound would say that I have been itching too hard but believ me I just would have done 1 or 2 strokes :spin

Scratching is because your skin streches as your baby grows to make room and this is continuous process. and as our mothers say it is because your child's hair is growing.

Reasons can be any and many, here are some ideas -

1. Use coco butter cream - you will get it in a good cosmetic shop like 'Health & Glow'. This cream soothes the skin more than any moisturiser will do. It stays longer on the skin than the other creams or lotions as tummy area during pregnancy gets dried up very soon.

2. As Padmini said, apply Coconut oil in your tummy just before taking bath.

3. Another cream is Evion (should be available in medical shops), it works quite well. I bought tubes of evion and relied on it completely.

IMP: You should rub the towel on your tummy (I was temted to do this as it was so nice to itch that wayBig Laugh) in order to dry it up after your bath. Just pat dry and immidiately apply one of these creams. Do it again when you freshen up in the evening and once when you goto bed.

If you tummy still itches, make sure to apply a little more of this and frequency of application depends on the level of your itching. :hiya

All the best, let us know how it goes!

7. prettywomen123

prettywomen123 Senior IL'ite

One after the other- and now its severe vaginal itching

hi ladies,

I was just getting better from my severe cough and throat pain when the next thing has cropped up. For the last 2 days, I've been having itching on my vaginal area and even a bit inside. Yesterday it was only in the evening and today for the last couple of hrs at work has been a nightmare for me. I drink lots of water and juices and dont know if this is any kind of infection. I just had my urine test and a antenatal appointment last week. protein was also normal.

I just can't bear this vaginal itchiness but I dont have any issues when passing urine. It doesnt burn. I've got a GP appointment on Friday but dont have much hope because here they only ask me to drink fluids . Any suggestions ladies? This is what happened when I went last week for my cough and they just asked me to drink fluids and have a salt water gargle.Is there any lotion I can apply?This is the first time I am experiencing such a thing and irritated as one issue after the other crops up for me.

Thanks n regards
    S

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  8. supriyaakp

supriyaakp Bronze IL'ite

Re: One after the other- and now its severe vaginal itching

During pregnancy you have you to change your panties 3 times a day strictly. Vaginal itching,discharge will become alright - This is my family doctor's suggestion during my pregnancy.
    Anyway you have to consult your gynecologist.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  9. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

could be a couple of reasons... it could be an yeast infection(this is not always associated with burning sensation). is your discharge smelly?
    it could be some mere other reasons like detergent allergy, or allergy to some soap etc...

clean the place several times with lukewarm water... keep changing your panties...and keep the area clean(shave it off if you havent). go without undergarments at night.
    dont scratch too much, it will only worsen the case...
    if u dont see any relief in a couple of days i suggest you speak to your gyn instead of taking any OTC medicine

10. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

I use Vigisal wipes n wash... it really works, i keep wipes in my purse so when ever i go out its really handy... I guess its too hot and you get sweaty .. even that causes this itching problem.