1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Too Busy To Talk

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by WorkingWoman, Jan 9, 2019.

1. WorkingWoman

WorkingWoman Gold IL'ite

Hi,

When I call three of my cousins and couple of friends they mostly do not take my call and do not call back too. They either ignore or message that they are too busy. If at all we talk we talk nicely but that is just 1-2 times in an year after my multiple efforts.

However this makes me think if they are really busy or just avoiding me. We do not have any conflicts. Are they not using phone at all and talking to nobody? It is hurtful.
    Do you see such people around you? What is the reason for this behavior? Can I do something to improve?

2. sandysandhya

sandysandhya New IL'ite

Now adays all are busy in office, homes, schools, colleges etc. Either not able to spk also i think this changes will make a gap between the affectionates.

3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I am too busy to talk and mostly I don’t have anoything to talk , I don’t make any phone calls to extended family other than parents , in-laws and siblings but I pay a personal visit to them when I go to India . Now all my extended family and friends know that I am not a phone person or a person who is in regular touch .

If anyone says anything with regards to this , I tell them I am too busy with work kids and it sets the expectation.

Same with what’s app , I drop a note once in a while and I am not regular ...

It actually depends on person to person some like to
    Keep in touch , some would like to be left alone that does mean they don’t care for you.

Bujji32786 and sindmani like this.
  4. Sri2196

Sri2196 Silver IL'ite

If someone is interested in talking with you,thy will make an effort. If they dont,ignore.

jmsd likes this.
  5. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Actually, I too have noticed more of this nowadays. Most of my friends and cousins who I love dearly, and who talk normally when we are in each other's company- but with the long distance and phone calls, are completely missing. Ignored or missed phone calls and WhatsApp messages. I may be guilty of doing the same.

What I do realize, is that I do keep in extra contact with the people I truly care about and need in that capacity. It doesn't make me less attached to others, since we do have history together. But only the nearest dearest ones get frequent calls and updates about my life.

How to improve this? Know what's going on in your cousin's/friend's life and be understanding. Give them moral support at tough times. The cousin I am closest to and I have similar challenges - so we make time for each other to give solace or advice.

We are social creatures and we need people. Just because people aren't responding doesn't mean that you shouldn't reach out. Sometimes, the person who is feeling alone or having a hard time, doesn't know how to share that and ask for that support. Reaching out may help them out.

In general, people are more self centered and self oriented. It's the cultural norm, and it's tough to break out of that. I try not to hold it against people (though some people do have time and just don't bother).

sindmani and Kyraa like this.
  6. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

There’s a term for these people, they just aren’t “phone people”.
    When you meet them, or when they talk to you, you can feel the bond but the other times they barely respond. It doesn’t mean they hate you and this also has nothing to do with being busy or not busy in most cases. It’s just that they don’t like to talk on the phone frequently or get onto long calls often. They like the gap as they have more contents to talk when they do. Or they have some other family / work problems that’s eating their mental space.
    Personally, I respond better to Whatsapp msgs than phone calls as it gives me the freedom to chat with them whenever I want. I love my friends n family but I don’t like getting on long phone calls with them, that too frequently. But it’s easier to be on Whatsapp chats. So am a “message person” not a “call person”.
    I know friends who hates msging but only makes calls. These days I keep getting audio msgs from them on WhatsApp, so they talk, I message, haha. N some responds to nothing, they only like meeting in person.

My suggestion would be to not take any of these things personally. They really mean no harm, it’s just about different people being comfortable with different ways of communication.

sindmani, creativemumma and shravs3 like this.
  7. WorkingWoman

WorkingWoman Gold IL'ite

Thanks to all for replying.
    Probably with advanced technology and busy life of people I need to adjust my approach. Assuming that they are really busy or not comfortable with talking on phone.
    Need to go by their choice of communication.