Tony - My Hero

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Nandshyam, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Tony - My hero

I was 4-5 then. Most of my schoolings was at my grandpa's place. I was the only grandchild and my grandpa wanted to bring me up for a while. My aunt, who was doing her PHD in ooty( I love her job - environmental science), called me from the gate. Usually, she brings me chocos, teddy bears, so I dashed through the living room to see what it was this time. She has a big bag and a turkey towel above it. I was puzzled, what happened to my scientist aunt, did she bring me a towel this time.. GRRR. She called up "Ammu, come here, look who(?) I have bough this time?" I cautioned near the bag. slightly opened the towel. A small black bundle of wool. What the?? I had no idea what that was, until it moved and looked me straight in the eye... Oh my.... I ran jet fast to my Grandma. That was our first meeting. I named him Tony.

I used to go to pre-nursery or something. I would keep looking out the class window, my grandma used to say. As soon as the Miss says Bubye, I ran to my car to meet Tony, who will be inside waiting for me [ that was my condition to go to the school] tony has to drop and pick me up. After coming home, I used to clean, dress up, eat and run straight to tony. I had 2 childhood friends. They love Tony too. Tony is always a part in our group. Shaat boot three, he's one in the play too...We used to play a lot with my toys. We used to cook together. I would ask him to bring me some water. Such a cutie, would bring a bucket of water, that my grandma has kept for cooking :) :) . We used to chase butterflies. We used to play hide and seek. He will always find me. Grandma, would then call up, its time to take a short nap, ammu. We both come back home, sleep together in the bed, he used to lick me all over and me him :mrgreen: He was my world. Days went by. I was in 4th and my Daddy told my Grandpa, "I guess its time, I wanted her to start schooling here." When my grandpa told me this, I cried all night. He was so happy in his heart, thinking, ammu is so attached to me that she does not want to leave me. Little did he know that it was Tony, I would be missing [ No thatha, I love you too]. Both my parents were not that interested to have a pet since they felt maintaining me and my brothers itself is one hell of a job. I don't blame them. Off I went to do my remaining school years. I used to call up every sunday to know about Tony. Talk to him on the fone and he would bark back. I felt very heavy after keeping the phone done. Every summer vacation was with Tony. I would save some of the pocket money, steal from my brothers if needed and buy Tony something before I left for summer vacation. Entire family would go to places all over the world. If it was within India, I and my grandparents won't accompany them. Those were the sweetest days in my life. Me and my tony.

My aunts got married and went away. My uncle got settled in Bangalore. It was just me and my Grandparents and ofcourse Tony. My grandparents were in Coimbatore. Lot of fields around. I and tony used to leave after breakfast and come for late lunch. Sleep and go for a walk in the evening, watch TV and sleep. Enjoyed every minute with him. I did my 12th and hoped to get into some good college in Coimabtore. God answered by prayers.

My Grandpa decided that I should be dropped off and picked up. In school that was fine, but in College, NOOOO. I wanted to have my own space, so asked him for a kinetic. After much begging, he said Monday and Friday, I could drive. Whoo Hooo !!!

We went and picked up a new one. My first passenger was Tony. He would love that so much. I will have him sit between my legs in the front and off we would go for long rides. From Home to Maruthamalai (not to the temple thou) or to pelamedu to my college.

First day in college, I was so nervous with the ragging and all. I got into my kinetic, waved my grandparents and Tony. I thought, I will take Tony till the main road. I stopped and asked him to go back home and I will be fine now.. I turned back, he did not move a bit and he was waving his tail so much, it felt as if he was comforting me not to worry and have a gala time in College. Life got bit hectic. Classes, friends, outings and stuff. But I never would miss to walk him every evening whenever I am there. Every semester exams, I used to read all night and never once did he doze off near me. he used to keep licking me or going around, play with something, go around the house, come back. I felt I was in a group study or something. My first crush in College. I came and spoke hours about him to Tony. Only family member who knew abt the crush was Tony, till I got married.

Final year in College, My Grandpa got heart attack. My uncle was very worried and he came from bangalore to stay with us. My maami(uncles wife) is not that big a fan of any pets. I hated her for that. But I did make sure she knows my exact feelings for Tony. No one can take Tony for granted, He has to be treated as any member in this family. Our house was inside a street, like a cul-de-sac. When I turn from the main street after college, I honk and I could hear him bark and bark and bark. What a lovely sound that was to hear. Someone who could love so endlessly with no reservations, waiting for me to come back home.

I got campus selected and was asked to report in chennai. Everyone was thrilled. I promised Tony that I will go, get settled and take him along next time. For the first time, I saw tears in his eyes, I was crying uncontrollably too. He did guess that its not college and its a far of place that I am going too this time. My maami teased me, "Ammu, talk to people, what would tony know" I wanted to shout" Can you please shut up? What would you know about a dog and the bond it shares?" I just smiled, got into the car.

3 weeks went by. I got settled. Rented the top portion of my distant aunt's home in Ashok Nagar, Chennai. It was against everyone's wish, since they expected me to join some paying accomodations or Hostel. As they weren't that close with the aunt as well. But I was stubborn. I wanted to be in a house, thought would bring in my grandparents (my amma cannot as she has to take care of my younger brothers and Daddy).

Spoke to my manager and asked him a leave for a week. He was surprised. Nandhini, you do know that its just 3 weeks you joined. I know Sir, but I need to bring someone very special from back home and I need to go. I got approved. Was so thrilled to go and bring my sweetheart back. That train travel was the longest. I ran home calling Tony, enge da iruke (Where are you?) As promised I am back to take you with me, come on lets pack. I was surprised that Tony who would usually be here by the time, I opened the Gate, isnt anywhere near the vicinity even after 10 mins. My grandparents weren't ready to say anything to me. My uncle and maami who had gone to work, came back in the evening. They asked me about my job, stay and stuff. I did not reply anything, but just asked "Where's Tony"
    My maami was about to say something, my uncle interrupted, "Ammu, he left us."
    Me: What??????? What do you mean he left us?
    Uncle: Ammu, please don't get upset. You do know, he was so old. After you left, he was not feeling right. Did not eat properly. We tried to do whatever we could for one week.But he got worse. So I took him to the vet and he suggested that its the right time, we euthanize him. Blah blah blah blah ( I did not hear anything after I heard that word)
    I could not talk anything. I felt like someone pulled the floor under my feet. How could they? Someone pierced a knife into my heart. Humans are supposed to be Humane. Whats wrong with these people. Will they do that to humans if they got sick?

I just went back to my room and sat. Next day, I packed my bags, took all tony's belongings (My grandma had kept it for me) and went back to Chennai. My grandma accompanied me. I just couldn't be in that place anymore. My Tony, hes gone and I did not even say Goodbye to him. I felt like I could have done a lot with/to him, that I did not do at all. Bought him that soft bone toy, that he liked. I told him he would tear it in a jiffy. Or took him to the water rides with me.....

Thinking about, how he would have suffered not seeing me in those final moments and trying to tell these idiots to wait till I come, made me sick.

My tony is not with me no more.. physically. But he's always there in my heart. He will always be there till the end of my time. I hope if at all, there is an another birth, we both be born with the same bond, as we had in this life.

I miss you Tony. I miss you so much :cry: :cry:

[​IMG]

Top (Left to Write) - Tony, Tony and Bambi, Ace
    Bottom - Its Tony and Bambi in all

Ace, Bambi Stories later :)

Milo is the the latest heartthrob and his photo: [this is taken when we went to our farmhouse. We both are so accommodative you know. We sleep in whatever was provided. Important thing is, we Share :mrgreen:]

[​IMG]

His Story later too :)

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Very touching story Nandhu..Loved all your pets..Are you the one sleeping beside Milo?

3. Meenaneelakantan

Meenaneelakantan Bronze IL'ite

U did not tell before that you have a liking for pets n had a great hero(the only one who knew about your first crush:)). OMG..Tony, Bambi, Ace, Milo..Wat more to go? I have to be careful with u n try to behave nice from now on instead of coming n questioning ur tamil knowledge.
    Enjoyed reading your lovely write-up! Though i am allergic to pets, it was as if like i was eating, playing hide n seek, going to school n coming back with Tony. N btw is the reason y u studied all night only before sem exams?

4. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Dear Nandhu,

Very touching piece.Tony looks really cute. Though I have never had pets, my best friend has 5 dogs in her house. Her very first dog, she had named him bruno, she was very close to him.As he grew up, he became ferocious. He never used to bite her, but slowly started biting anyone who came home. When they took him to a vet,they said that he was a semi carnivore, in the sense, he was a cross breed of a dog and a wolf! With heavy heart, their family had to take him to a vet and put him to rest. I still remember, a week since the decision was made, my friend had lost her appetitie, her sleep, her health..all in a matter of a week. Now in order to get over her grief, she has adopted 5 dogs all pedigree ones. They all are very friendling and totally gregarious!

A very well written, touching piece.

Regards,
    Purnima

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Nandhu dearmost
    touching.. touching.. and incredible.. so very well said I read it in one shot, rushed to nominate and then posting.. also had to wipe my tears so I can type here..
    I know you will find your Tony again dear:)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  6. sharadha

sharadha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Nandu,

We share the same feelings, Me for Ramu and you for Tony. I liked the way you had narrated especially about taking Tony as your first passenger in your kinetic.
    So sweet of you to post the pictures....Following my advices I guess :hide:..

How z Milo doing now? Sounds like the name of a drink.

7. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Nandhu

a very touching story and you have written so well.

8. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Nandhu,

An excellent write up ! Wanted to control my tears, especially when you were calling for Tony, thinking he was still at home after you came back from Chennai.:cry:

It is really disheartening to read that you could not take Tony back with you after you found your own place and job ! Sort of like an anticlimax ! Too bad...could completely empathize with you.

Me too, had befriended our neighbor's dog named "Puppy" when I was around 5 years. It is still evergreen in my memory. Sure, Tony will also be etched in your memory forever...it is obvious from your narration !

Lovely, pictures, by the way..eager to hear/read about your other pets too..!! What are you waiting for? Start away..!

Cheers
    Krithika

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Nandshyam,

That was a touching account of your love for Tony. You are fortunate to have experienced such bonding with Tony. Many young kids have this longing to have a pet and their wishes are never fulfilled. You sure were fortnate. Sad it had to come to an end. Judging from the pics, looks like other loves followed Tony.
    Nice write up which has landed you in FP, congrats!

L, Kamla

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nandhu,
    excellent write up and wonderfully narrated feelings....
    I hope you see Tony in Milo...

sriniketan