Tomb of Ghiyasuddin

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by Prema88, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Prema88

Prema88 Senior IL'ite

South to the fortress of Tughlaqabad is the tomb of its builder, Ghiyasuddin Tughlaq. A once fortified causeway lead to the tomb compound, which at one time stood within a large reservoir. Ghiyas-ud-din Tughlaq was obviously a man of set ideas – while he was about fortifying everything in sight, he fortified his tomb as well. What against is hard to say; probably Mongols who took the term happy hunting grounds too literally.

The reservoir is no longer stores any water and the bridge over it has been broken off in the middle to make way for an extremely busy road. The tomb is based roughly on a pentagon in plan and its entrance is guarded by massive portals.

I am glad that India holds these gems and that I am a Proud Indian.

2. keerat45

keerat45 Senior IL'ite

The mausoleum itself is very simple, very much the warrior's tomb. Simple with the same sloping red sandstone walls which are Tughlaq hallmarks. Each wall has arched gateways decorated with the inevitable, but beautiful, latticework and white marble. The dome is entirely of white marble and is quite striking indeed. This rather severe tomb does allow itself a few inscribed panels, arch borders, latticework screens and 'lotus-bud' edges which decorate it.

I am glad the way that you are describing it Prema. The beauty of India is indeed inevitable.