1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddlers Cough...need help

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by lg001, Mar 27, 2007.

1. lg001

lg001 New IL'ite

Hi Moms,

Please advise me what you give to your kid when they caught up with cough along with mucus.
    My son is 3 yrs. old. Its really hard to give him medicine. Even I feel that OTC cough medicines are not at all effective. Since at this age they don't know how to blow their nose I find it difficult to make him feel comfortable.

Leena.:cry:

2. arshi1611

arshi1611 New IL'ite

Hi,
    If the child is having a dry cough then u can heat a little ghee, put a pinch of salt in it and then give it to the child taking care its not too hot. This clears congestion in the chest and soothes the throat. I usually give this to both my daughters. One another thing i want to say is that its always best to first take the doctor's advice so that we know what exactly is necessary. I myself am not in favour of giving antibiotics to children and try to find altenatives.I do hope the child feels better and gets well soon :yes:

3. sabi

sabi New IL'ite

Hi,

I have 2 kids.my elder son is 3 year old.Right now he also got the same problem.I dont give him any cough medicine.
    I give chicken soup before his nap time and before his bed time .
    I use saline water drops for nose congestion.
    Weekly once i give him Horsegram dhal rasam.Its helps a lot.
    Hope this helps you
    sabi

4. rajisri1

rajisri1 New IL'ite

Hi

Garlic is a very good remedy. Also the Decoction from the ayurvedhic medicines like arathai, adhimadhuram,sukku is also very good along with otc medicines. In general, for my son once he got broncho pneumonia and the dietician said proper use of pepper, ginger, cumin seeds often in our food regularly will give the immunity power for the kids and resist cold to a great extent. In fact one of my friends, would give little pepper and cumin seeds roasted in ghee and just like that everyday in the morning in the empty stomach which prevents him from catching severe cold. And while usig garlic, you can boil garlic separately and add it to his/her food separately. Do not mix it with entire rasam u prepare but in just the quantity you feed the kid. Orelse, the essence of garlic will go to entire rasam and the kid is going to have bare minimum two are three laddles only. Try to use whole garlic rather than the powder or other forms.

raji

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear leena,
    i apply castoroil on the neck and cover it with a wet cloth dipped in cold water and wrung out...and also apply the same on the navel and apply cold pack, this helps to cool the system..the cough is usually due to over heat in the body, try to give oil bath to the children weekly once with till oil, it cools the system a lot....hope been of help regards sunkan