1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler Who Is Throwing Household Objects.

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by blindpup10, Apr 26, 2017.

1. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

I need suggestions on what to do and how to implement on teaching my son to be more communicative and not show aggression toward the household object.

My 19-month-old DS is throwing stuff. How do I teach him to throw the right things like a ball and not to show aggression towards household objects?

Recent developments my son enjoys throwing stuff. Things he cants communicate or to get my attention or frustrated he throws whatever he has in his hand.
    A few weeks ago- he threw a glass coz he wanted more water and was frustrated that he couldn't communicate, so he threw the glass he was holding. It shattered right at my feet. (Don't get me started on why I gave the glass. My son, is at a stage where he is transitioning from sippy cup to drinking from a glass. Whenever he sees me drinking water, yep he wants to hold the glass or drink from the glass). On certain days, I dont have the energy to distract him or discipline him. So I gave him the glass of water.

Today, the kitchen pantry door was open ( for few seconds) he picked up an unopened pickle jar and threw it right at my feet.My kitchen is child proof- he can't get into pantry or cupboards. This is one off thing.

I am super pissed at this behavior. Off late I have seen that he throws things when he is frustrated that he is not able to communicate.

I need suggestions on how to make my not so communicative DS understand not to show aggression at certain household objects and its ok to throw his ball or toys around?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017

2. boldnbutiful

boldnbutiful Silver IL'ite

Hi blindpup,

Kids learn stuff by watching ppl do it,does he watch tv where stuff is being thrown oe if he goes t daycare does his friends do the same.....it is difficult and being a mum requires tons of patience..teach him some signs to express himself of he cnt speak ..show him that u do giv him attention....

sindmani and blindpup10 like this.
  3. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Oh he is more than a year so he is not teething I guess just check some kids get late so..
    1. May be he is not well n getting frustrated.
    2.when he throws the glass tell him he gets time out it's hard but it will work if u stay consistent.
    3.u give him a fruit What he likes wen he listens to u as a reward.
    4.ask him don't throw let's play throw the ball .
    5.try to calm him by saying it's not ok to throw things n some one might get hurt just show him it might hurt him too.
    Hope it helps..

4. blindpup10

Hi
    No, he isnt exposed to other children on a continuous basis. He has friends playdates, swim classes. All interaction is with kids and their parents. I doubt he picked it up by watching.

I genuinely believe that my son throws things when he is unable to express his emotions. So, I am at crossroads here on what to do.

He is teething. His last set of canine teeth are on the verge of coming out. He will soon have full set of teeth.
    1. yes he is recovering from mild cold and cough.
    2. Timeout is a good idea. I will try. How to give a toddler time out when he enjoys being locked up ina room with no supervision and he gets into explorative mode :tired:
    Man, I appreciate your advice- but I am seriously failing to make him understand that its not ok to throw things. After he has thrown the glass or pickle jar. I take him away from that place so he doesn't get hurt and clean up. When he comes back to that part of the kitchen where the incident took place he wont remember much.

feels like I am failure:weary:

sindmani likes this.
  5. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Use plastic or our ss tumblers for now.
    Does he speak some words??

blindpup10 likes this.
  6. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Make him sit facing the wall for a min if he get up put him back keep doing this till he get it n u sit and watch him then increase the time

7. blindpup10

Thanks, Sangeeta- I will do this.

This is a good idea- what happens is when he see's us drinking water from a glass. He comes closer and asks for the glass. If I give him a plastic or a steel tumbler- then flies the tantrum.

8. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

The whole family should not use glass

9. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

@blindpup10 Please don't give him timeout this young. My son too kept throwing toys. I gave timeout 3-4 times after 2 yrs but even then, my kid took it as funny. Then I read @ calm-down technique. Even if you plan to give him timeout, use calm-down zone/spot. Don't lock him in a room. Make him sit in a couch itself saying lets calm down for 5 min & take 2-3 deep breaths in front of him & say in hush voice calm-down, we can talk later. Even then, you need to give him 2 warnings like 'Don't throw stuff. If you keep throwing, I will put you in calm-down zone & no toys allowed'. Its hard when you are already stressed. But it helped to calm both of us.

Since you mentioned that he throws tantrum when he is unable to express his emotions, timeout will make him feel more upset. Do you have time to teach him sign language? I haven't tried but I have read many parents that sign language helped their kids to express before they started talking.

You all can avoid glass utensils for time being and once his grasp gets better, start using glass. Best wishes.

10 Simple Calm Down Strategies for Young Children

sindmani, nuss and blindpup10 like this.
  10. blindpup10

Thanks so much. It's hard to punish a child for not able to express. And whole afternoon, I just felt super bad, coz I just didn't know what to do. I was upset he threw the pickle jar and on tops, feeling that somewhere not able to teach him to communicate.
    I will go through the calm down method. I will try to implement this. Thanks so much for sharing.

soumya234 likes this.