1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler spits food after chewing thoroughly instead of swallowing!

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by chotabheem, Dec 11, 2012.

1. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

My 17 month old DS is on a food strike from 1 month...:-(
    From the past 1 week, DS is taking just one meal a day! Some times not even that. Its either apple milkshake or sath mavu kanji in very little quantities once a day! thats it. I also took him to another paed for second opinion. He said there is nothing wrong with him, no worms,he is playful and active and nothing to worry!!
    Tried giving him some junk food like chips and kurkure, he eats 1 piece or half of it and starts spitting. I have also tried giving him foods with different tastes and texture.
    He willingly opens his mouth if he likes the texture, chews and instead of swallowing, he spits it out!
    If i stop offering him as he spit it out, he comes back and asks for more! He wants to eat it but doesnt swallow? Any ideas/suggestions why so?

2. sridevipc

sridevipc Silver IL'ite

My Ds too 17 month old , he too was doing the same some time back
    Now i feed him food when he is too busy playing .......
    since he is busy with playing he dont spit the food
    also i wont repeat the menu atleast for a weak.....

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Chotabheem Is he having trouble swallowing? I am sure the doctors would have checked this. Anyways I cannot think of a better reason.

Did you try giving him warm water? If he haves it happily then it most probably is soothing in his throat.

My DD chews and spits after having 3-4 mouthfuls. For my DD it means that her initial hunger pangs are over.

4. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

@Sridevi: Thanks i hope this phase passes soon. However busy he is playing, he opens his mouth and as soon as he feels the food in this mouth he spits it out.

@ramya: He is fine with swallowing milk,water (warm or room temp) . i have not yet asked the paed about this. He is ok with swallowing the milkshakes,juices and sath mavu kanji but only once a day!

5. sridevipc

sridevipc Silver IL'ite

chotabeem try giving him what he likes .........
    and spend lot of time in giving him food .....