1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler isn't walking yet

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by smart_soul, Sep 23, 2009.

1. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

When did your toddler walk?

Am a little concerned as my little one, 14 months today hasn't started walking yet. She does walk with support(like by the sofa, etc.) but isn't walking by herself. I see almost all kids at her age are walking and I'm getting a little anxious about this. :-(

Thanks

2. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Forgot to add that she walks with a walker (in Tamil, we call it Nadai Vandi, which has three wheels and kids can push it around walking). And whats bothering me more is that she rolled over quite fast like when she was about 3.5 months old and sat up quick too and she climbs stairs crawling, of course. But when it comes to walking, she isn't showing any interest.

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi,

looks like we can console each other. my girl is 15 months old and in same situation as yours. only since last week she's practising to stand 'alone' for few seconds. but she has always been late with her milestones so i'm trying to be brave. she climbs stairs, sofa, bed effortlessly and also walks holding things fast. we have a walker too (a car like one) that i try to train her on every single day but she prefers to sit in it and ride through the house by paddling with her legs:(

her paed says she's slow but progressing as well... i mean like she's making efforts in her own pace. so nothing to worry. i was in this play group y'day and there was a 18 month old still crawling by sitting (using her bums) and happy to walk along holding onto a support. so we've still some time to give hope!

on the other hand it wouldn't hurt to check with the paed. they might suggest some simple exercises or last case physiotherapy. my girl also sat quite late and the doc told me to make her sit everyday with thighs held apart for her to train her muscles. and voila in 2 days she sat by herself!

Latha

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Kids walk and talk when they need to. Translation: mothers that do everything to satisfy their babies make an environment of comfort where the kids is not pressed to walk and talk. You might want to make things a little less accessible and see if that will motivate.

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Developmental milestone: Walking | BabyCenter
    Look up when walking happens... I would think you child is in the normal range.
    DS was consistently delayed by 2.5 months - rolled over at 6 months, sat at 9.5/10, pulled up to stand at 12 and cruised a week after. He cruised for the next 4 to 5 months and was walking independently by the time he turned 17 months. Even then, our paed thought he was within the range and developing normally, if with a bit of delay.
    I know of 16 month olds who were running, it then does become difficult for me not to compare as DS does not run even now. But then that's his temperament, he does not like trying out new things and it is something I need to help with when the time is right.
    Tina, I know of children who were walking by 10 months eventhough their parents constantly carried them. Your child will walk when they are developmentally ready to, not because there is a need. A child who wants to explore the world around finds the need every day to move.

6. Ramya Satheesh

Ramya Satheesh Senior IL'ite

hey my little one started walking at the fag end of 14th month . I did not introduce walker but encouraged him to walk on his own independently. So dont worry. It is just a matter of time.

cheers
    Ramya

forgot to mention that from the day he started to walk he has been walking like a pro . Not one fall ...touch wood :)

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Tikka:
    You are right and I have to clarify my post. There are kids who are developmentally ready to walk/talk but don't if they are getting all their needs met without doing either. On a lighter note, we all know men who are fully devoloped and can't get up and get their own glass of water.......:biglaugh

8. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Nodding in agreement with everyone here! I know it is difficult not to compare but I think your child is well within the normal range. Also, how was his other milestones? When did he crawl, sit up etc. If he did everything in the normal range, he will be just fine. It is a good thing that he can walk with support. He will take off anytime now :)

9. jils

jils Bronze IL'ite

kids start walking anywhere between 9 mons to 18 months of age
    so your kid is well within the normal limits .
    now not to cause any more delay just check if he gets enough calcium and vitamin D

next and very important thing is taking off the walker and like others suggested making things that support him to walk little less accessible .

lastly , recall if he reached his other milestones lilittle later

10. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Dont worry my dear, mine's started walking by herself when she was close to 15 months. Before that she used to cruise around holding sofa, chair or wall but never had the confidence to keep her foot on ground without support. I know a kid in her day care, he walked when he was 17 months. He's pretty fine now. BTW, mines is almost 6 yrs now and running always. So don't worry about it. When their tendons become strong they'll start to walk by themselves infact run.

-Uma