1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler - head shave or tonsure

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Sujana123, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Sujana123

Sujana123 New IL'ite

Hello all,

I got a tonsure for my baby done in India. The baby had thin hair before that during the last 1 and half years. People told me repeated tonsures will help hair growth to be better so I went to a salon here in US for another head shave. They said they only use a clipper here and cut it at 0 level. It is close to a clan shave but it still left some hair on. My question is for the hair growth, this kind of shave may not help, right? Now if I do want to do a clean shave , is there any place I can go to? The salon says it is a rule not to use blades in the state. We live in Virginia. Let me know if it is ok to leave it like this now or should I give another shave immediately. Thanks!

2. priyankab

priyankab New IL'ite

please do it pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

We have not tonsured/shaven off our child's hair. AT 1 year, he got mature hair with his baby hair falling off.. On the other hand, I know of kids who still have baby hair even after a few tonsures. IMO, shaving can only help a little, the rest of it is genetics.

4. sherin78

sherin78 Silver IL'ite

Sujana,

I too didn't tonsure my daughter's hair though my MIL insisted to the core.
    First we dont have that practice in our community and the other reason is her paed informed by the time a child is 1year old, all the initial hair falls and new hair starts to grow. So there is no particular use in tonsuring. As Tikka said, I have seen lot of children who have tonsured 3 to4 times but without much density of hair. So I guess that must be in the genes or the quality of protein rich food intake.