1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

toddler food ideas- for extra picky fussy eater!

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by loonypooh, Mar 2, 2011.

1. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

hello moms, my dd is 14.5 months old and heres what all she likes to eat, she used to love a lot of things, but now sadly our menu is limited- as we hit the terrible twos. do share any easy to do recipes that u give urs

Bfast - oats porridge/ french toast/ cereal with milk

mid morn- any fruit

lunch- broken wheat khichdi/suji upma/ broken wheat pulao+ 1 chapati
    1/2 bowl of curd

evening snacks- chicken fingers/fish fingers/ cookies or rusks/ popcorn/ paneer bajji/homemade muffins/ omlette

2nd snack- 2 big strawberries/ chikoo/watermelon

dinner- pasta in white sauce/chinese fried rice/pulao/ spinach rice/curd rice with fish + 1 chapati with cheese

she is extremelyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy fussy these days and feeding her is a challenge, n so i try and give her a variety atleast in the evening wen i can
    she hates idlis/ dosas/ hates dal in any form :(

in addition to this we manage to somehow give her 9 oz of milk a day - its a challenge!

any more suggestions?

2. malar_arasi

malar_arasi Silver IL'ite

How about trying aloo or methi parathas..

3. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

For idlis/dosas,

you can try making them colorful by adding grated carrot

also, you can try cheese sandwich

4. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

I tried this recipe a while back and its a hit with my DD these days:

Whole grain macaroni - boiled with salt and olive oil

Take a pan and add some butter. Allow it to melt. Add jeera, shredded spinach, capsicum, carrot (any vegetable available) and saute for 2-3 mins. Now add salt, cinnamon powder (optional), pepper powder, paprika powder (red chilli powder can be substituted if the kid likes spicy food). Add macaroni and mix. Cover and cook for a min until all the flavors get incorporated well. Switch off the gas and sprinkle shredded cheese and mix.

This is my desi version of mac-n-cheese. Try it and let me know if she likes it.
    All the best!

5. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Have you tried stuff boiled potatoes? You can stuff them with cheese, panneer, other veggies cooked and mashed.

Same for stuffed boiled egg. Mix the veggies with the yolk and stuff it back in the halves.

Soup? I make my DS eat dhal by adding in soup. I pressure cook all sorts of veggies in any combination (cauli, brocolli, potatoe, carrot, beans, cabbage, zuchini, spinach, tomatoes, lima beans, brinjal, capsicum etc.) along with moong dhal, 1/2 teaspoon of tamarind paste and turmeric. After 4-5 whistles, I turn off stove. Wait for it to cool and then blend it in mixie or blender. Heat it up in a sauce pan, add salt and a lil butter on top - you are good to go. This is lunch for DS. I give him a small cup of crackers (gold fish, animal crackers or cheese its) to crunch and munch and I spoon the soup into his mouth. DS loves if I add a lot of tomatoes and make it nice and red or spinach and make it green.

6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

sahmara- i tried once with arrabiata sauce and she spat it out, since then i only give her cooked in bechemal sauce .:(

idlis - i tried adding grated carrots, she eats say 1/4th of it, its not a staple in our home, we probably make it once every 15 days.

DNM- zoey just hates dal in any form, but i can still give it a try once again. i think we have hit terrible twos and nothing really seems to please this girl.
    today i gave her spinach pulao for dinner along with 1 big fish fillet fried.
    morning she ate 1 paratha and a small amount of rice with curry and curd

7. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Loony - You don't have to use a whole lot of dhal in the soup - just 1 tablespoon for every cup of vegetables. It is not very much and I assure you, your DD will not realize there is dhal in there. If it seems like very little dhal - don't worry. If your DD has this twice a day - it is enough. Have you tried adding a tablesppon of cooked dhal to the atta when you make parathas. Thats another item where you can 'hide' dhal - parathas, rotis, puris etc. It will make the atta soft and moist as well. Alternatively you can use some soy flour for protein, though there is controversy reagrding overuse of soy.

8. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Also, if you are trying to make her eat toor dal: instead try with moong dal.

Pressure cook moong dal with tomatoes, add some turmeric, little salt, little rasam powder.

Take it out, squeeze few drops of lime juice it tastes yummy. I like it myself

9. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

i have tried moong dal, toor dal and masoor dal. she spits out all 3, DNM- yes we make her parathas with veg stock/chicken stock only and now i shall try using dal as well. the other day i made "theplas" for her with dal and she ate half of it :D

today i gave her veggie hakka noodles, and i just let her eat on her own, she finished the entire bowl, so now i realise the problem isnt really in food, but she hates someone feeding her, so now i am only going to make foods which she can pick and eat, and will instruct the caretaker to do the same in my absence!
    she manages to eat with spoon too but ofcouse most of it just goes waste.
    i was reading this site today, thought of sharing Healthy Toddler Recipes, Recipes for Feeding Your Toddler- Toddler Menus, Toddler Foods, Toddler Lunch, Toddler Breakfast Ideas at wholesometoddlerfood.com

today gave her baked chicken fingers and she loved them. the only problem is, when i am at work-the maid can only manage to fry these items

last few days i tried pumpkin muffins, banana pancakes, she is eating them well, i realised she loves being independant.

10. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Loony - Thats really good! Wanting to be independent shows that she is growing up! Keep trying to make finger foods - sandwiches, rotis etc. You are already doing every well with variety - I should pick up some of those recipes myself. DS is recovering from flu and has gotten very very picky all of a sudden. I need help as well.