1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler eating habits

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by friendlygirl, Nov 17, 2014.

1. friendlygirl

friendlygirl Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

I am pretty sure it is not a new thing when i say my almost two year old is driving me crazy when it comes to food!

But i would like to hear from you all on how you handled the following:

When your kid is not eating as much as you want them to . My son goes several by drinking milk adn yogurt.

What do you do when you see other non indian kids eat a slice of pizza on their own, when i have to beg my on to eat a spoonful of rice?

What do you when your son doesn't even make an attempt to eat on his own?

I need to hear from other moms for ideas on how to handle these.
    Plese help..

and tell me it is going to get better (even if you think it is not lol!!! i jsut need to ehar it)

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

1) Invest in a good high chair.
    2) Put the food in front of your child.
    3) Stay around but don't fuss/coax/cajole.
    4) Let him play/mess/dirty self and floor. Don't expect him to be a clean eater. Let the few morsels go in.
    5)When he is done and pushes his food away, don't protest coax or force. Take him out/clean him up and let him play.

Repeat steps 2-5 during all meals and snack times. He will self feed himself all the food groups in time. Toddlers love to be independent and imitate you. Trust me, two year olds can eat dal chaawal with a spoon or with their hands. They can eat fruits and veggies. They can eat Ice cream and yogurt. In short most foods that you want to feed them. I did the above with both my kids starting at 18 months. Both at independent eaters. The older one eats everything. The younger one is picky because he is special needs but he can still self feed and eats some foods.
    Btw, we love Mac and cheese. I would start with pastas and then go from there. My friends stated with fruits. That works too!

6 people like this.
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

From my experience, if I make eating a play-thing (something to be loved, not feared) it works better. Also, if possible have supper along with him. Put a plate on the table and sit beside him. Seeing you eat may prompt him to eat.

1 person likes this.
  5. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

If you force children to eat they take food as their enemy. Don't force your child. I
    think it is probably the milk what is filling your son. Give him small meals several times
    a day. If you eat food in front of him , he will start to eat.

1 person likes this.
  6. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

My experience (have four children) is that a child basically stops eating at 1.5-2 years and starts eating again around 6-7 years age :D.

Here are my tips:
    - eat the meal together if possible, not too much focus on the food, instead good discussions and focus on each other
    - take the child with you when preparing food, let him/her tast a piece of veggies etc while you are chopping, tell him/her what you are doing
    - a high chair, no toys or distractions, put some food on the plate and everyone eats as much they want, no forcing
    - when the child inform that it is enough you ask her to say thank you (or whatever ritual you may have) and the child can leave the table
    - no snack between meal times (of course a child cannot stay too long without eating so plan for midafternoon snack etc)
    - reserve some favorite staples (like milk, bread but nothing sweet) with every meal but also encourage child to taste the rest of the food
    - usually the child starts around one year age to demand for a spoon, give him/her the spoon and let her try, you can have another spoon to help out, again no force feeding
    - finger food is also good when very young, bread sticks, French fries, raw veggies, fruit etc
    - make about the same food for the whole family, you can take a side a portion if you plan to add a lot of spices or some ingredients that your child does not like

And remember - the child will eat when hungry and the amount of food a toddler needs is actually quite small.

1 person likes this.
  7. FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh New IL'ite

[FONT=&quot]It is interesting and happy to see that in this discussion everyone concentrated how to make their kids eat Indian food, and not the pizzas, the snacks or some junk food. Kids need to be fed when they are hungry, and they will have it without forcing them much. Never feed them the junk food because they are not eating Indian food. American/Canadian kids have it that’s why there are more Americans/Canadians in rehabilitation centers like Bellwood Health Services, for eating disorder treatment, than Indians.[/FONT]

8. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Junk/unhealthy food can be found from both american and indian cuisine. Pizza can be healthy if prepared so.

The background for eating disorder is quite complex and have much to do with adoloscense/overweight/pressure on young girls regarding outlook. Force feeding is also one major risk for eating disorders.

1 person likes this.
  9. IamLucky

IamLucky Gold IL'ite

Dear OP.
    We should not actually compare our kid with other kids in eating, me also do the same thing as my friend's DD will have all fruits and juices without complaining and mine not taking.
    But actually, their taste buds are just developing and have different likings.
    I do agree that it will hurt if our LO is not having food and we are having good food. I have experienced the same. What i did is i made the feeding session playful. Eg: While having food i ll take a piece of dosa and touch in the gravy with a funny sound like thottu thottu thottu(means touch touch touch) and put it in my mouth. then i ll give a piece to her and she ll do the same( our mission is to make food go inside their little tummy)Once they really like the taste, they automatically ask for food.Try different taste everytime.
    Dont worry dear, There are lot of moms with u who are also learning hugsmiley

10. SilverNGold

SilverNGold Bronze IL'ite

AGREE.

I am an ABCD stay at home mom and give my 4 year old a choice between 2 or 3 healthy foods for each meal each day and let HER control how much she wants to eat and NEVER force her to "finish" her food. Most of the food is American (whole wheat bread cheese sandwiches, baked fish, strawberries, blueberries, pasta, steamed carrots, etc.). We sit down together for half an hour and whatever she eats, she eats. Whatever she doesn't finish after half an hour is taken away til snacktime. I also have bedtime routine where she goes to bed at 8:30PM most nights. Dinner is at 6PM so she wakes up on her own around 6:30-7AM asking for breakfast.

Most of my SAHM mommy friends are U.S. raised of different nationalties (white, 3rd generation Japanese, also ABCD, etc). None of us having any feeding issues with our kids and most of them actually enjoy their meals knowing the CHILD is in control of their food. My daughter has been self feeding finger foods since 8 months and using a spoon since 14 months old. At the beginning, 1/3 of the food ended up on her body, 1/3 on the floor, and maybe 1/3 in her mouth. By the time she was 2, most of it was in her mouth. Yes, some food did go to waste but its better for it to end up on the floor than for a kid to be force fed to have it vomited out after eating.

In contrast, I see Desi moms constantly having food battles with their kids shoveling as much food down their throat as possible in any-which-way they can; distracting, bribing, scare tactics, etc. I also see them hand feeding kids as big as 8 years old while they play their video games as a bribe. These Desi moms and children dread mealtimes alike and often leave the child in tears, and sometimes the moms in tears too. Parents are worried about wasting food if the kid doesn't finish but they will often vomit it out which is even worse, much worse. This overfeeding of a small child is a disorder causing them to associate food with discomfort, bribe, and something to be dreaded.

For the most part, children's bodies are wired to eat enough to sustain themselves. When we overfeed them, we create a dread of mealtimes and take away that desire to eat. My daughter is only in the 19th percentile for weight and I accept her stature as it is rather than trying to make her "fat". Her healthy attitude towards food is far more important to me.

2 people like this.