1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler and preschooler foods

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Ami, Dec 24, 2005.

1. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

re: Toddler and pre-schooler foods

hi anu,
    thank u for ur suggestions.2day i tried the egg receipe which u suggested,even though it was for the first time my daughter showed the liking towards it ,but let me wait n try it for couple of times.but my serious concern as i mentioned earler is phelgm ,i dont know how 2 deal with this?hope i will get some advice in this regard.
    bye
    raji

2. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

When kids have phlegm,u are supposed to use ginger,garlic,pepper powder,cumin,coriander,mint in your daily based cooking but in limited quantities say about a pinch .And see that it is not spicy.Not necessarily all of them in all the meals.See that u maintain any few of them in daily based cooking whenever possible. Especially during breakfast and dinner.And always serve warm things more than chilled/cold ones. My son who is 28months old now,has the problem of cold, phlegm collection, bcoz of which he might get slight temperature/high temperature sometimes. So now I made the above changes in food.

Try making any recipes like soups,rice like jeera rice,mint rice,methi rice which would actually fight against phlegm and subside the collection of the phlegm.

Here are some of the recipes of soups,rice etc which I prepare atleast once a week among these or prepare when my son has cold,phlegm etc.

1).Tomato Soup which can be served as soup/rice :

Chop tomato,grate the carrot.Saute these two together and cook them covered on medium flame until soft(say about for 4-5minutes),then mash it and add little water(2 ounces of water),grated ginger,pepper powder(a pinch),salt,cumin powder,garlic clove,cilantro.Finally once cooked,grind it or mash it .If any pulp leftover,u can strain it and serve ur kid as a warm soup or mix it with rice and serve.

2).Mint soup :

Boil washed,cleaned and chopped mint leaves(10 to 15) leaves in 2ounces of water and add some pepper/cumin/,salt/sugar and either mix in food u give or give her directly telling it’s a soup/juice etc..or just mix it in rasam and serve with rice/idli.

3).Simply dal soup like pressure cooking toordal with cumin powder,coriander powder salt and mash the dal adding water for soup consistency and serve warm.

4).Saabudana payasam adding sabudaana,milk,cashews+badam paste,cardamom ,sugar sometimes when he don’t take food just to give him something warm.

4).Junnu(Prepared with condensed milk,egg,pepper powder,cardamom powder)

I follow the same recipe from http://foodnewbie.blogspot.com/2006/09/junnu.html.

My son like the above sweet a lott.When he doesn’t take any food,I prepare telling him that’s a sweet.But that actually helps in reducing the phlegm.I change the flavours using coriander,cumin seeds,pepper or simply with mint.

5).Try to serve cumin water instead of normal water during cold weather or when u notice baby having phlegm,cold etc.

6).If she likes to have omlette.Try to make omlette with cumin powder,pepper powder,salt and egg.

7).Rice like jeera rice by sautéing cumin in ghee followed by salt,pepper powder/1 small chilly a, mint leaves (optional) and cooked rice and serve it.

8).Green peas rice .In little ghee+oil mixture Sautee ,1/2tsp cumin,1cardamom,biryani leaf,1chilli/pepper powder pinch,ginger-garlic paste then green peas,washed and soaked rice and add water(2qaurts of water to 1 quart of rice) and cook and serve.Optionally u can add mint/coriander leaves for garnishing.

Note:

• Make sure that kid takes more water to prevent from dehydrating during cold,vomitings etc.

• And also make sure that kid takes more of vitamin c rich foods like fresh orange juice,lemon,apple etc which would actually make him/her more immune and fight against infection if any during the phlegm collection.

• Cold can be due to many reasons.Sometimes too much of heat also might cause cold..All these remedies are only for relief and avoid aggravation. Always check with the pediatricians.

• Whenever cold continues for more than 3 days,please inform the doctors about this.Try using infant cold drops during cold.Any cold would take 2-3 days for cure or set completely within 5days.But some times during flu ,infections it might come and go often..And if it is due to bacterial infection and more phlegm collects then it might turn to Pneumonia which happened recently for my son,then I had to use antibiotics for 5days course for him and got cured within 4days.So always take care to watch the kids especially when they have cold,cough,phlegm etc..
    _Cheers,
    Vaishu

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2013
  3. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

hi vaishu,
    thanks for ur prompt reply.iam really happy tht iam receiving such good responses tht now iam feeling confident regarding the food for my baby.
    my baby doesnt like drinking water n i had 2 really try hard everytime 2 make her drink water.i feeel this might b 1 of the reason for the phelgm in her.n in ths country v feel more humid as it is all covered with sea frm all sides.i will try jeera water with her.n also include the pepper n mint in the food.
    wish me luck.
    take care
    raji.

4. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

hi
    can any 1 pls tell me how much water shld an 18 mth old drink per day?
    bye
    raji

5. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi,

To get rid of phlegm, You can do these:

1) Take the kid to the bathroom and open the hot water tap. After some time, steam will start accumulating in the bathroom. Give bath to the kid in this atmosphere. This is in place of steam inhalation, which is difficult to do with 18 month old baby.

2) If you get horse gram, dry roast it and make a pack (wrap it with thick cotton towel) and massage the chest and back. Ensure that the heat is bearable and actually pleasant for the child. Daily massage with vicks also helps.

Hope these help.

Cheers,

Sumathy

6. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Raji,

Good question.Even i had this doubt all the time. But as far as i know, any humanbeing needs 6-8 glasses of water on an average . But there is not limit on water intake.It differs from body to body, its daily activity etc.If u weigh 60pounds,25 of those pounds are bones and squishy insides and remaining pounds are made up of water. Water is the best form of all liquids which we consume as it acts as a lubricant,base of saliva,body temperature regulator etc which finally helps in body metabolism.A loss of 2% of body fluids causes a 20% reduction in performance in both physical and mental activities. .Normally if a child plays more he might need more water about 1glass or 2glasses after the play or around 10 ounces in between the play for every 10-15minutes of his/her play.
    .. So now coming to your 18month old kid issue, once he/she starts taking solid food,we should make sure that the ratio of intake of [liquids : solids ] should be atleast or more than [1.5 : 1],that can be in the form of Milk,juices,soups etc +water. If child is more active ,she might need more water. So try giving her/him atleast 1/2cup of water after every meal and in between and after play ,which not only helps in digestion , prevents dehydration , body metabolism etc but also helps in keep her/his teeth clean.

My son hardly drank water before he was 2years old.He only had juices and milkshakes..But i always did attempts to feed him water after every meal and finally succeeded.Now he drinks a lott of water.

-Cheers,
    -Vaishu

7. Mythreyee

Mythreyee New IL'ite

Any (vegetarian) lunch-box ideas for pre schooler ???

I am a vegetarian and I pack vegetarian food for my daughter who is going full day preschool. I pack a fruit/yogurt and the main course is usually one of the following.

1. mini iddlis with little sugar and ghee
    2. mini dosas with little sugar and ghee
    3. pasta with alfredo sauce. (my daughter prefers creamy pasta)
    4. bread butter jam
    5. mildly spiced pulao with minimum vegetables like peas, diced carrot and chopped beans. sometimes corn too.

Can anyone suggest any other vegetarian lunch box ideas for my 3 1/2 years old daughter? I am running out of ideas. thanks.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Re: Any (vegetarian) lunch-box ideas for pre schooler ???

hi mythreyee,

Since she is already eating vegetables.. you can try,

mini vegetable idlis..with peas and finely diced carrot..with little idli powder and lot of ghee....
    mini rava idlis....again if she likes nuts add cashews and sliced badam.along with tempering...
    try carrot dosa - orange color..if she does have sweet tooth leave it as it..otherwise just a pinch of pepper...
    try beetroot doas- a pink shade --all girls love pink ...
    vegetables sauteed and make stuffed bread sandwiches....
    mash potatoes..add some other vegetables...make small cutlets in different shapes..cook on tava...and with sauce...(try it at home first so that you will no if she will eat at school)
    you can make stuffed parathas.with lot of butter....mini. or make big ones and cut into bite sized... (use carrots, beetroots,radish,cabbage,cauliflower,soya flakes..anything variation....all sauteed a little with a dash of onion,pepper, and stuffed.)

hope it is useful....do give fb....

9. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

u can try stuffed rotis,not the stuffing things inside ,itz like roll, then maggie with veg,bread sandwich,stuffed poori,small oothappam with tomato,onion. try some fruit salads or veg salads.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  10. Mythreyee

Mythreyee New IL'ite

Thanks a lot!