1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Today's parents will they willingly accept their daughter"choice?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by sumee, Dec 6, 2013.

1. sumee

sumee Silver IL'ite

I just read a nice discussion on this forum whether parents will allow dating for their teenage kids and enjoyed reading the replies.
    As i was reading the replies ,this thought stuck me:
    Are parents today willing to accept whole heartedly and welcome their daughter or son's choice of partner?
    Or are they still conservative in such matters.?
    Have they changed with times or do they still belong to the old school of themselves choosing the partner as they don't have trust in their children's choice?
    Personally speaking? I think we still have a long way to go before we become more liberated .Whether it is giving their green signal to dating or letting their children choose their mate.
    I welcome replies for my questions posted above.

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

My parents are accepting & will accept whatever our choices are in everything.. right from education, career to relationships. At the same time I'm seeing many are not accepting. I have many friends who have convinced or fought and got married to the one he/ she chose, and also the other side where parents made sure that their son/ daughter broke-up with the one they love and got them married to parent's choice. I would say its going on both ways. Depends on the perseverance of the couple in question, IMO.

3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Absolutely. I will accept my daughters choice willingly. Of course, if I think the choice is wrong, I will bring forth my fears but choice would be hers.

4. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

It's easy to trust the choices (in all aspects of life) of your children if you make a concerted effort from Day 1 to teach your children to stand on their own two feet, and make good choices. Truly effective human beings don't rely on Mummy and Daddy (in adulthood) to do their thinking for them. Guidance from parents, as Rakhii explains it, is wonderful, and necessary. But children who are grownups need to make their own decisions, and then take responsibility for those decisions.

2 people like this.
  5. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

well though i don't have a daughter i would say that for both gender the parents should be willing to accept the children' choice. as Anusya said that the child needs to be taught to make decision for himself from young age.making decision does not mean that we let them choice what to have for dinner everyday but maybe one meal a week but make them understand that as all members are going to eat that meal so they better make a good choice(and not choose maggi every time)this will teach them to understand that their decision influences others also so choose wiselywhen choosing something.

1 person likes this.