Today Is The Day Of Love, Of Devotion and Absolute Surrender!

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by varalotti, May 30, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sujatha,

It is nice to know about the Devaram/Thiruvasagam group in Kuwait. Thiruvasagam is known for its capacity to melt our hearts.
    Sujatha, I now have a feeling that NRIs are more interested and concerened with their roots than the RIs. I find many of the local Indians spending their time watching TV rather than seeking and strengthening their roots.

One problem in prescribing these pasurams for school children is that they are introduced at too early an age when the children cannot appreciate their worth. Moreover many children develop an aversion to these classics, especially if their Tamil teacher is not so good.

Thanks for the participation,
    regards

10 people like this.
  2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sir,
    Thanks for reminding me that today is Nammalwar's Thirunakshatram. I had to continue reading Naalayira Dhivya Prabhandam which I am not able to do (obviously the laziness which comes after the initial days of taking these important decisions). I started reading Paasurams 10 of them daily last year. I made it a habit of reading Pallandu during the month of Margazhi which I discontinued for the obvious reason. But I had only managed to read till 161 Paasurams after 1 year of starting it. I feel ashamed of it.
    Once again thank you for reminding me the importance of the Paasurams. I hope atleast from now on I will able to continue doing it as i had intended to.
    Keep posting such articles which serves as a reminder to me. As I had seen your post before the lighting of the lamp i am sure to read at least 10 starting from today.
    My husband purchased the Prabandham which has meaning also by Dr. R.V. Kamalakannan.
    Sriniketan

3. varalotti

Dear Sriniketan,
    Our elders say that when we start doing good deeds obstacles come from all directions. They have even classified them into three - 1) adhidaivikam, that which comes from God Himself, factors beyond our control 2) adhiboudhikam, the physical factors that hinder and 3) adhyatmikam that which comes from within ourselves, like laziness, lack of inclination and so on.
    I have a suggestion for you Sri. Whenever your time permits just visit any temple that is close by and pray fervently that God should help you in your endeavour to read the Prabandham.
    Because as a nayanmar said it categorically, even to worship Him, we need His grace. அவன் அருளால் அவன் தாள் பணிந்து
    Try to find out any groups doing this or approach a teacher who can teach you to chant. That way there will be a powerful incentive to go ahead.
    Wish you all the best,
    regards

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,
    The verse you had quoted for Vidya is very transparent about the anithyam of life and so we have to catch hold of the lotus feet of the Supreme.
    Even Thiruvalluvar has told to " paRRUka paRRaRRaan thaaLinai" It is gratifying to know that lot of ladies attending Divya Prabandam classes in Chennai and other cities also.
    Regards,
    Pushpavalli

5. varalotti

Dear Pushpavalli,

Thanks for the meaning. Yes you are very right. The verse says that the bodily life is as fleeting as a lightning. Hence it's all the more important that one should think of Him and His love.

I deliberately left out the meanings because what we are capable of is only a word meaning. But our Acharyas have given commentaries - like Arayira Padi, Onbathinayirappadi upto muppathiaarayirappadi - and after all that have declared that Thiruvaimozhi is capable of still deeper meanings. As you start to chant it regularly and lovingly the meaning gently flys in and sits on your heart like the sprightly sparrow landing on a soft branch of a tree.

I am very happy to know that Ladies are attending Prabandam classes. But I am sad only on one account. The average age of such ladies hovers around 60. When we bring down that figure to 30 or 35, then we can be legitimately proud.

regards,

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Mrs Pushpavalli,

Thank you for being kind enough to give me a minnalkodi meaning of the verse quoted for me. My Tamil is not good enough to understand the meaning by myself and I am not even much of a believer to comprehend God's compassion. So, thanks for taking the trouble of answering my post. Anithyam- so true of everything in this maya life--

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,

I went through this thread again just now and was amazed to see so many quotes from you. It made me happy to read them all through, although I must admit that most of it sounded 'Latin' to me!! Even though I keep saying I 'know' Tamil, it is a very thin layer of Tamil that I know:(
    You keep repeating that it is not necessary to know the meaning to enjoy these verses. I am reminded of my dear old grandmother, bless her soul, who used to recite the Pallandu verses in Margazhi every morning although she could not speak Tamil!! Those days, they all learnt them by repeating continuously, not even reading them. Good old days, I guess.
    Thanks for introducing me to the Pasurams. If I am lucky, one day I will buy the CD chants.

L, Kamla

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,

I went through this thread again just now and was amazed to see so many quotes from you. It made me happy to read them all through, although I must admit that most of it sounded 'Latin' to me!! Even though I keep saying I 'know' Tamil, it is a very thin layer of Tamil that I know:(
    You keep repeating that it is not necessary to know the meaning to enjoy these verses. I am reminded of my dear old grandmother, bless her soul, who used to recite the Pallandu verses in Margazhi every morning although she could not speak Tamil!! Those days, they all learnt them by repeating continuously, not even reading them. Good old days, I guess.
    Thanks for introducing me to the Pasurams. If I am lucky, one day I will buy the CD with these chants.

L, Kamla

9. varalotti

Dear Kamla,
    Very kind, soft words of praise. Thanks is not the word for that.
    I will tell you my experience regarding the meaning. First like many of us, I wanted to read those verses along with the meanings. It went on for a few days. But then suddenly I felt it was too heavy and dropped them like hot potatoes. And then I met this kind gentleman who condescended to teach me the way those paasurams should be chanted.
    My ego projected its ugly head out and I asked, "But, Sir, what about the meaning?"
    He told me, "Who are we to know the meaning? It has been declared that the chanting of these verses is something very pleasing to the ears of Lord. He knows the meaning and if He thinks us worthy, He would let us know. But till then let's keep chanting."
    We started in the traditional way - "sandhai solrathu" - that is every half-line is to be repeated three times. And like this about 40 pasurams are covered daily. And after 10 classes like this we move on to the next forty. By the end of 5th class you are thorough with the words.
    And then slowly the magic happens. Meaning seeps into your heart even without your knowing it. You are surprised that how come you did not know the meaning all along. And so it goes.
    Kamla, google for the chanting CD in Giri Trading Agency's website (They are a big shop in Chennai and I hope they have a website) and you will get it.
    Best of luck,
    Love,

10. varalotti

Another Interesting Information!

Most Gracious Ladies,
    If you visit a temple of Vishnu, a Perumal Koil, be it here in India or abroad, after giving Theertha Prasadam the priest will bless you with what is called as Sadari. In Vaishnavite tradition that Sadari is Sadagopan, Nammalwar himself.

Vedanta Desikar another saint in the Vaishnavite tradition wrote a thousand verses in Sanskrit called the Paadhuka Sahasram.

In one of the verses he says, that even if one is not able to read all the 4000 plus verses in Divya Prabandham one should read at least Nammalwars verses. And if one is not able to read that also, then for them, the Alwar comes in the form of Sadari, the Lord's Foot, to relieve us of all our worldy miseries and focus ourselves on the Supreme being.

Next time when you visit the temple, when the Priest places the Lords Divine Foot on you in the form of Sadari, when by that contact, your body and your heart feels the ecstasy, remember that is Nammalwar who has touched your life.
    Love,
    May all you be remained blessed always.
    Love,