Today Is The Day Of Love, Of Devotion and Absolute Surrender!

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by varalotti, May 30, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Usha,

Thanks for those kind words and thanks for invoking God's blessings on my behalf.
    Alwars, Nayanmars, The Prophet, Jesus - they do not belong to any one group, Usha. And the beauty is Nammalwar himself is not an Iyengar. He belongs to the Vellala caste.

But being born as Iyengars we have a greater responsibility to know about his works, to read them and to experience them.

I will be happy if you can lay hands on his works and start reading them. You can also look for them in the Net.
    And here's a sample for you:

நீர் நுமது என்றிவை
    வேர் முதல் மாய்த்து
    இறை சேர்மின் உயிர்க்கு
    அதன் நேர் நிறையில்லே

1 person likes this.
  2. varalotti

Dear Kamla,
    Thanks for the post. You seem to convey a lot with very few words. I am flattered, to put it mildly. May God bless you.
    And here's the song for you:

இல்லதும் உள்ளதும் அல்லது அவன் உரு
    எல்லையில் அந்நலம்
    புல்கு பற்றற்றே

Last edited: May 30, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  3. varalotti

Dear AGR,
    You are most welcome. Today is also Murugan's day. The Thiruparankundram temple in Madurai would be crowded today. In fact the morning newspapers carried detailed news item on how traffic will be diverted today on account of Vaikasi Visakam. Its a great festival even in Thirucendhur.
    AGR, since you are in Chennai you can easily get hold of the book. It is available in Parthasarathy Temple, Triplicane. Or you can get a chanting CD from Giri Agency. Best of luck.
    And heres the song for you:

அற்றது பற்றெனில்
    உற்றது வீடு உயிர்
    செற்றது மன்னுறில்
    அற்றிறை பற்றே

2 people like this.
  4. varalotti

Dear Sudha,

thanks for welcoming me into this forum. Very proud to learn that you are planning to start reading more and are also passing them on to your daughter.

I am happy that my post has served as a reminder. And here's the one for you:

உள்ளம் உரை செயல்
    உள்ள இம்மூன்றையும்
    உள்ளிக் கெடுத்து
    இறை உள்ளில் ஒடுங்கே

5. varalotti

Dear Vandhana,

I am very happy that I could bring happiness to you. You can find out the chanting CD and/or the book and start chanting. Or let me know when you are planning to visit India. You may visit the Triplicane Parthasarathy temple for the book (the traditional one without meanings) Varthamanan Pathippakam T.Nagar for book with meanings and Giri Trading Agency Mylapore for the Chanting CD.

Let me give a song for you on this memorable day:

உயர்வற உயர் நலம் உடையவன் எவன் அவன்
    மயர்வற மதிநலம் அருளினன் எவன் அவன்
    அயர்வறும் அமரர்கள் அதிபதி எவன் அவன்
    துயரறு சுடரடி தொழுது எழு என் மனனே

Rgds[/quote]

6. varalotti

Thanks Gayathri for your kind words. And thanks for not agreeing with "Satan....
    But I must hasten to clarify that with regards to Nammalwar I did not have any role to play. His works are so great that it will make even a rock a devotee. And if he had changed a rock-like heart like mine I am sure he can do greater wonders to our ILites.
    Yes, today is an important festival day for Murugan as well.
    And here's your verse:

ஆடியாடி அகம் கரைந்து
    இசை பாடிப் பாடிக் கண்ணீர் மல்கி
    எங்கும் நாடி நாடி நரசிங்கா என்று
    வாடி வாடும் இவ்வாணுதலே

7. varalotti

Hello Meena,
    You are most welcome. I am happy that I was able to drag you in to this thread with the title. But it is true as you can read from the following simple verse of the great Saint of Love:

உண்ணும் சோறு பருகு நீர் தின்னும் வெற்றிலையும் எல்லாம் கண்ணன்
    எம்பெருமான் என்றென்றே கண்கள் நீர்மல்கி
    மண்ணினுள் அவன் சீர் வளம் மிக்கவன் ஊர் வினவி
    திண்ணம் என் இளமான் புகுமூர் திருக்கோளூரே

8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Varalotti,

I am touched that you are keying in an apt Pasuram in Unicode for our benefit. Thank you. Where else would I read such verses?

I too do not agree with you describing yourself as Satan chanting the gospel. But I must add that giving me Pasurams in senthamizh is othufyig vedam in the ears of a boar/sow as the case may be.

Pls do give a one line meaning if possible.

9. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Dear Varalotti Sir, Great. I donot find words to explain my feelings. Nice to read the pasurams in Tamil. It is indeed nice to remember the auspicious days and read the works of great alwars and nayanmars. We have a Devaram thiruvasagam group in Kuwait. We get together on alternate thursdays and recite the Devaram by Appar, Sambandar and Navukarasar and manickavasagar's thiruvasagam, we also read andal thiruppavai in the month of margazhi and one or two divya prabandam songs. Though we have learnt some of these pasurams during our school and college days in the form of lessons, it is nice to read them now when we understand better. We also do it with devotion now. Thanks for reminding us of the great day.

Kind regards,

Sujatha

10. varalotti

Dear Vidya,
    I was very moved by your first post in this thread, so moved and touched, that in response to your request for "one-line meanings" I am quoting you:

I especially appreciate the part where you talk about chanting Thiruvaimozhi without analysing the meaning. Even if we understand the word meaning, who are we to ever comprehend the true meaning of God's compassion towards us.

regards,

10 people like this.