1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To Talk About Age to Ladies! What An Audacity! Another Controversy!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Jan 2, 2007.

1. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Looking our age!

Dear Sridhar,

Its indeed a nice way to start the new year with this topic. We are all one more year older (or going to be) than what we were last year:) .

I believe in looking our age...be it 30's or 60's or 90's. Its better to look old, matured and graceful than look like funny jokers! I have seen some women and men who look much more beautiful and graceful when they are older than when they were in their youth. I have also seen some women who undergo botox treatments, their face looks like cardboard boxes to me....with no real expressions and their smile looks artificial.

But its also true that when a younger person with more stress and worries in life ages faster and looks old than he/she actually is. This is where I believe the beauty treatments and products should help and not to help a 60yr old look like 25yr old:)

Happy New Year
    Sihi

2. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Everyone is the age of their heart

Hello Sridhar,

A perfect topic for a ladies site.
    Times are changing & make up is so important these days that we can't separate it out as something extra done to look good. while some women use make up just to highlight certain features to look better, there are others who spend hours using diff methods to look good & there are again, the extremes, who eat, sleep & breathe make up.
    Personally, I appreciate women who try diff modes to look good, to look presentable, to pose a diff look using diff tools. I appreciate their patience, their aptitude.

I still remember a discussion wherein a group of friends were discussing about the latest trends in beauty aids & naturaly the names of models & actresses started creeping in. while most of them said they wished for aishwarya's looks, I replied, I would wish for her hair dresser & her personal beautician & makeup aid. Even the most beautiful face needs a face-lift. Make up is not used to completely hide one's age but the proper use of it brings out hidden beauty & improves / increases one's self esteem & above all, using make-up is an art by itself.

While some are blessed with beautiful skin & hair & features naturally others need to work on it to look good. I've never used make-up not even for my marriage. I don't have the time to learn about make up but some of my friends are deep into it & they do sport a different look each time & I get to learn about some new product everytime I meet them.

botox & age fighting cosmetics are the latest addition to cosmetology but I wouldn't support any make up / beauty aid that would mask one's face to such an extent that one's face fails to emote their feelings.

Once I was watching Oprah Winfrey show dedicated to plastic surgery & I was shocked to see women without a crease on their faces & repeated surgeries making their face look like plastic without any expression. I think just like drugs, some women get addicted to the theory of looking good that they completely get trapped into a diff world & I feel such women need help /counselling. anything off-limit is dangerous.

Actually, I was going thru Marie claire magazines, "7 Easy Beauty Tricks for the Best You Ever!", just before I started writing this reply.

I'm just planning for a new look for the next marriage anniversary - another 3 months to go. Not to hide my age but to surprise my hubby. my hair is turning silver toooo... I do need some quick fixes - definitely not to hide my age but to try a diff hair color. We are in a way lucky to find so many cosmetics & quick fixes these days - its really amazing. we just need to learn to choose what is right/good for us & try out diff things just to look different & feel good.

After all, Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Regards,

3. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Silver IL'ite

:)

beauty shd not be definetly not skin deep but if we see the flourishing beauty parlors chain of spas , beauty products which lure u day in and day out wht every tv channel making so much of money jst imagine there was a beauty cream for guys which has maked so much market in the last year first quarter of its release its not only ladies who r beauty savy men r also...
    have u ever heard of a barber ok a mens salon doing gold facials for guys :)) bt now its a regular feature of shahnaz gold done on men too
    my grand mother who was 80 yrs old was beauty concious also she wud have her saturday oil bath wht fresh gingelly oil beasan ata wht kasturi turmeric powder they had their own methods of deplitories to remove their unwanted hairs frm legs and hands :))
    my mother was also a frequent visitor to parlor for her hair cuts manicures pedicures facials yes her age does look but she certainly has a level of confidance in her
    not to mention abt me i am almost in parlor daily :)) not to get things done but to do for my clients
    yes i run a beauty salon
    as a professional ifeel its gud to see ladies and teenagers visiting me for their regular cleanups
    bt definetly theres a saying whn ur 16 every one looks beautyful
    as age grows and ur oil glands reduce producing sufficient oils ur dry and feel wrinkled definetly lowers the moral of many ladies
    beauty is maintaing one slf today most of the ladies r working and need to be trim and along wht their counterparts so a feeling of well being is observed in ladies who frequent in regularly i see a confidant look in them..
    they r in this decade and nothing wrong if they get themselves a boost even if its a little costly affair but ..
    yes there is beauty in grey hair beauty in wrinkled skin beauty in saggy undereye dark circles but is there tht confidance in them ? tlk to them for few min they wud reveal their innermost secrets their skin is not nice they r unhappy in many ways due to aging process
    i have a laser clinic where i remove unwanted hairs frm their upper lips chin etc areas i can see tears in gals who come to me b4 they start their treatment and once the hair starts reducing i see a certian glow a level of superiorty complex which replaces their inferior complex many start lifting their heads thts wot their parents tell
    it differrs frm being philosophical and saying women r beautiful whn they r old men always look at beautiful women :))
    my frn was there other day for a hair cut she was saying her husband appreciates other ladies who work wht her for their haircuts and wants her long hair to be cut in order to get an appreciation frm her husband i took few min to tell her men r like tht they appreciate other woman but dont look tht she has such a great hair which is hard to have in such a tension world whre ppl r wht hairfall and sent her happily wht few modifications which her husband wud appreciate
    frm old ladies to teenage school going gals all r concerned abt their looks and thts truth orlse why do we need mirrors
    and why wud one ask
    mirror mirror on the wall whos fairest one of all :))
    bye

4. radha_chennai

radha_chennai New IL'ite

well said

i agree with what you say rv .
    radha

5. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Krishnaama

Dear Krishnaama Madam,
    (since you used Sir you get paid back in Madam)

I am happy that you liked this post.

You have rightly touched upon the aspect of ageing of one's mind. I find that another ILite, Sriranjani, has also got the same views. May be the next post might be on mind-ageing.

And Krishnaama, I have not forgotten your suggestion on "Mummy's Boy". I dont want to disturb the flow of my threads. Soon I will be acting on your suggestion.
    thanks,
    sridhar

6. varalotti

Very Kind of you, Vandhana!

Dear Vandhana,

Very kind of you to have titled your post as Sweet Wednesday. And again kind of you for your anxiety that I don't get brickbats from ILites.

Now on the second issue, let me be a little more transaparent, Vandhana. I have a well-defined agenda here in IL. My mission is to convey something that will change the lives of IL for better. I will persist in my mission the brickbats notwithstanding. And the kind of love the ILites have for me, even the brick bats will fall on me like flowers.

I have a long list of topics, some neutral, some sweet, some hot, some controversially hot and some thing, in the nature of fire itself. But there is no shortcut to life's learnings.
    So, Madam, please stay tuned.
    With Loving Regards,
    sridhar

7. varalotti

I am interrupting you with a good news!

Most Gracious ILites,

I am interrupting the discussion with a good news. My next set of books have been released and I have posted a detailed write-up along with the preface to the books in another thread whose link is given below:

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31536#post31536
    All ladies, please visit the thread. And all ILites in chennai please visit the publisher and/or book-fair to buy the books.

I am going to be there for two days and there is a good chance I might meet some of you. Let's see.
    regards,
    Varalotti

8. varalotti

Nice of you, Sriranjani!

Dear Sriranjani,

You are perfectly right. It is not my audacity but the affection of these gracious ladies that gave me the liberty to post on ageing in this forum.

You have put it in a nice way. Thanks.
    Now coming to your suggestion I plan to have the next thread, Godwilling, on the ageing of the mind. While it was all humour here in the body-ageing thread, mind-ageing will be pretty serious business.
    So ILites beware.
    regards,
    sridhar

3 people like this.
  9. varalotti

Thank you, Gayathri Madam!

Hello Gayathri Madam,
    thanks for those words of praise. Am happier still that you liked Ms.Loren's quotation.
    beauty of the mind, body ... yes.
    Madam, stay tuned for the next thread which will be on the ageing of mind and its effect on the body.
    regards,
    sridhar

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Was looking in the mirror and forgot:))))

Dear Sridhar......See, I was too busy putting on the last touches of makeup and got carried away at what I saw in the mirror.....forgot to notice this thread!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha...
    Okay sir, jokes over...
    Sorry for attending this thread so late. I must say I enjoyed your observations about aging, women (men??!), mind and body works et al! I doubly enjoyed the rejoinders of all my IL friends here.
    There are always two trains of thought process or even more for every subject on this earth. While one backs the natural aging and staying true to one's experience and life with grace, the other will advocate resorting to all methods available to keep young and with it. With age(!!!), I have learnt to be tolerant and see everyone's attitude to it with their own view point. Each to his/her own. What else is democracy otherwise? As long as one takes care not to harm their health, who are we to sit in judgement about other's efforts as to what they do with themselves.
    What is important is one feels good about oneself and in one's own skin. God has given us one life and one body and it is upto us to take care of it to the best of our knowledge and ability:)
    The saying that is gaining a lot of popularity in the west goes as follows:
    "Today's 50 (years of age) is yesterday's 35"...!!!!!

L, Kamla