1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To Ma’am with Love……

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SARASVADIVU, Jun 27, 2011.

1. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Hey! Dears this one’s a true and brutally frank account of one of my ‘Teaching Experiences’….I can never forget:

Prithvi joined the School in his XI std…
    Hailing from a pious Iyengar family, he was extremely good at singing and dramatics:
    During the ‘Annual Day’ celebrations, Prithvi would be the much sought-after student..on one hand the Hindi teacher would ask him to take part in her ‘Shatrapathi Sivaji’ skit and don the role of the Maratha Warrior;..while on the other, the Music Sir would want him to sing the all-new number belted out by Ekon!

But, Prithvi’s interest lay in doing the compeering..more than anything else.
    That evening when the audition for compeering was going on in the Principal’s room, he just barged in--the English teacher, Shravanthi was literally jolted out of her wits..’coz she knew her Principal would not like such a gesture from the boy….
    All the while she kept looking at the Principal anticipating some ‘fireworks’ on that big bearded face!!

But..Prithvi was the ‘cool cat’ he was, totally composed and unruffled: just took the audition script from Shravanthi’s hands and started to read it out with the apt modulation and stress!

For a moment his voice and the majestic tone swept everybody off their feet..but, now too Shravanthi was in the same state of anxiety…

Finally, it was decided by the Principal that the results of the audition would be given by him, the next morning.

Prithvi, you are selected, my boy, for the compeering; Go and meet the English mam, Shravanthi”-It was none other than the Principal speaking to Prithvi, after the day’s assembly-session.

“Mam, may I come in”-Prithvi at the entrance to the staff-room.
    -Shravanthi, who was busy with the file of ‘Creative Writing’ papers did not notice him!!

It was only when she sensed a shadow on the floor, did she raise her head to see Prithvi standing beside her table:
    “Is it always your habit..Prithvi to startle people like this????”

“But mam..I had…called you ..er several times..”
    -Shravanthi who was in a bout of bad mood—the Principal had asked her for the results of the ‘Creative Writing’ competition that was held the previous day..he never gives even an ounce of breathing space..and she had to handle too much of pressures..both from the teaching side, as well as the extra-curricular activities!----“Prithvi, please tell me is this your habit..of ..always..”

“Mam, sorry I did not intend to offend you..but to compeer for an event is my dream. That’s why when I heard about the audition I just rushed in mam..please forgive me mam!”

Shravanthi who gave a forgiving glance towards him, told him, “ok Prithvi, just leave it dear..meet me after the School hours at the Language Lab”, so saying she left clutching the papers and file.

As she was heading towards the Principal’s office, the thoughts that were running in her mind were unusually about Prithvi and his boldness!

At the same time, what Prithvi uttered to himself was thus:”I hadn’t told her the real reason I wanted to compeer: At least once, I wanted to compeer in that enticing language written by mam!!”

The rehearsals started in full swing; Shravanthi’s classes were being substituted, she had to be around with Prithvi and Mamta the two students, chosen for compeering; Shravanthi would take them to the Music & Dance Halls where she would see each of the events and pen down a suitable commentary.

That day it was past lunch-time and Shravanthi was still in a contemplative mood about the comment for ‘Chak De’ dance:
    Prithvi:-Come on India , be raring to go!!!!!!!!
    Mamta :-You are unbeatable
    Prithvi:-Irrepressible
    Mamta:-Unshakeable
    Prithvi:-and Irreproachable!!!!!!

She was wondering whether some pep was missing in the comment and was thinking of a punch-line…

“Hey! Guys do you’ll remember that today CSK is taking over Mumbai Indians; wish CSK wins yaar..Go CSK Go!!!-this was Prithvi to his friends outside the hall.

Wow! That’s a nice punch line-
    Prithvi & Mamta {together} Go India Go!!!!!!!!
    -Shravanthi penned down that line and left for lunch!!

On her way to the dining hall she called Prithvi and said, ‘Thanks dear”..
    Of course Prithvi did not understand why mam had thanked him??

The other boys who heard this started to rag him..all in a way..that was typical of their age and harmones!?!?In no time..the same started spreading like wild fire that the campus was reverberating with the ugly makeover of a few ‘specimens’!!

Shravanthi who was busy with the hectic schedule was completely oblivious of them all..until one fine morning she was called by the Principal for an ENQUIRY!!!!

It was the most embarrassing moment ever..faced by the polite and soft-spoken Shravanthi. She was almost in tears hearing what the Principal had to say..she really wished that the ground below her would move apart and swallow her inside..

Her moments of stinging anxiety grew more..when she realized that how heartless could it be..to link up a child with a person in the ‘Guru sthanam????

She just rose out of her seat, excused herself…and came back with her resignation letter!

There was a sort of an unusual silence that pervaded in the room; and it wasn’t even in the least of the Principal’s intention to ask Shravanthi to leave, her track-record was such..Moreover he knew Shravanthi’s character; He had actually called her to counsel Prithvi, who had sort of behaved violently the previous night in his dorm.

Shravanthi reached the boy’s hostel at the request of the Principal…when she had gone there, the doctor told her that he had just injected a dose of ‘Anxit’ to put Prithvi’s anxieties at ease!!

She could catch a glimpse of the curly-haired boy..his eyes sunk as if into a nap for eternity!!

She almost stood there froze looking at the innocent face of Prithvi; just when she was about to leave..a soft voice jolted her out of her frozen senses: ‘Mam, are you alright?..I’m sorry mam..it’s all because of me..’

Shravanthi just went up to him..touched his head as if a Mother would to her Son, “Prithvi. I’m perfectly alright dear..I want to see you as the vivacious and bubbly student you were. Just forget whatever has transpired over the past few days.”

‘Mam..should I still compeer?
    What if once again everybody start saying unwanted things about you?..I see you as my mom and it pains when I have to hear ‘such’ gossips!!

‘Prithvi, let me make one thing clear to you: You are in no way responsible for such gossips..the fault squarely lies on those people who had seen things with ‘tinted-glasses’.

If you want to stay away from the compeering..it only goes to prove them right..Do you want to do that???’

‘So, be a good boy..take rest and come with a calm mind tomorrow. We have just a week left for the ‘Annual Day’..isn’t it our duty to give our best for the School..think my Son’.

The 5th Annual Day Celebrations wouldn’t have ever seen so much of fanfare, pomp and splendor-May be to proclaim that here is an aspiring, young, eloquent Orator in Prithvi!

Yes! From that day..there was no looking back for Prithvi..he and his compeering had become a rage in the School circuit!!

Shravanthi couldn’t have asked for more; She is still in touch with Prithvi, her ‘Son’…who is doing Engineering in one of the reputed colleges of Bangalore..
    Saras.

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

A great blog as usual, Saras. These things do happen in schools. I salute Shravanthi (what a beautiful name, I am planning to steal it for one of my characters) for the moral courage with which she faced the situation and Prithivi for delivering his best.
    And I do salute you, Saras, for bringing us a nice blog. This blog has all the elements of a good short story.
    I am really happy I read it first thing in the morning.
    love,
    sridhar

3. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Dear Saras,
    Hats off to the teacher and student for handling the situation well!!!
    These things happened in our school also Saras..
    Thanks for sharing this here...
    Good one as usual:thumbsup

4. SARASVADIVU

Dear Sir,
    You indeed had made my day with that morale-boosting comments..thankk you so much sir for the first fb!
    I always love this name, 'Shravanthi' which means the flow of love..most welcome to use the name for one of your characters.

Dear Sir,this one's actually my own experience..and 'my son' still keeps in touch with me-he's doing engineering in Bangalore PESIT.
    Thank you sir yet again for the lovely feedback and the time.
    Regards & love,
    Saras

5. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Dear Saras,

What an excellent one you have shared with us. It takes me to my school days...the time when I was doing my +1. Sort of such things happened in my school days too...But everyone then came to know the truth. Gossips are never ending Saras...It was so nice about the Principal and the Ma'am Shravanthi (unique name and I liked it a lot...). Thanks a lot for sharing my dear :)

I miss my school and college days :). After reading your blogs I literally wanted those days back...and my teachers are coming in front of my eyes...I definitely know one thing for sure. After reading such blogs...i call atleast one my teacher and speak to her...so as to show my gratitude.

6. SARASVADIVU

Dear vidu,
    Thanks da for the consistent support and the appreciative feedback..
    Oh! yeah..these things are more in the residential school.
    So you too are a teacher?!

Thanks vidu once again for the time and the compliments.
    Saras

7. SARASVADIVU

Dear vidu,
    Thanks da for the consistent support and the appreciative feedback..
    Oh! yeah..these things are more in the residential school.
    So you too are a teacher?!

Thanks vidu once again for the time and the compliments.
    Saras

8. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Saras,

My standing ovation to this blog of yours..... What a character Shravanthi is. I just fell in love with her. These incidents are quite common in schools, colleges even offices but the way she handled Prithvi was superb.

I just loved your narration too. Bless you all dear..Beautiful name Shravanthi is and so is she. All the best for Prithvi.

9. SARASVADIVU

Dear Lalitha,
    Thanks a lot for stepping in with such a nice feedback.
    Yeah! sure we do need the blessings of your Goddess..

The name's origin is actually Buddhism and it means flow of love..and am happy that all of you'll liked it as well!

Thanks once again for the time and the encouraging remarks.
    Saras.

10. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

no dear, I am not a teacher... I meant when I was studying in school :)

But in my school days I always wanted to be a teacher... I hope I can fulfill my dream