1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To invite or not....

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by b86monica, Nov 4, 2013.

1. b86monica

b86monica New IL'ite

Happy Diwali to all beautiful ladies out there.

I’m a great fan of IL and love each and every suggestion given here...now it’s a time for me to get your valuable suggestions.

Today I was preparing guest list for my house warming ceremony as whom to invite and whom not to..

Now I’m in a dilemma whether to invite my 2 enemies (X and Y ... very good friends then) for my house warming ceremony .

We have a common group of friends in which I’m not in talking terms with X and Y We are no more friends when I came to know that they were Bit**ing/back biting behind my back...when confronted they were not ready to accept but started blaming each other ( X blame on Y and vice verse) but both X and Y are still very good friends ..I donno how... . It’s been a year now and I still can’t get over the bitterness. But when we meet on any common friends gatherings or super market I just say hello and move on. Now I’m dilemma whether to invite these 2 to my party along other common friends or is it wise to ignore and keep them at bay?

My DH suggests me to forgive and forget the past and invite them.

So friends.. please suggest what should I do?

2. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

If you do not invite them will your other friends be comfortable with it? (ultimately you don't want your other friends to suffer because of a party)...there will be friction between x,y and other friends as your other friends in the group came and did not question about your not inviting x and y...so i would say invite them unless you feel they will create a ruckus in the party or snide you openly (don't have to bear anybody's criticism in your own home)...as you age you forgot such things...true you might never be comfortable friends with x and y but a cordial relationship( just like what we have with relatives:)) is never bad and its peaceful on the mind..

If your other friends are ok with phasing out x and y from your group then i would say don't invite them:)...diplomatic answer huh!

2 people like this.
  3. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

I say NO. Here are my reasons

1. Hosting any ceremony is quite stressful. Why force yourself to meet people with whom you had a dirty confrontation?

2. This ceremony cant be the event where you all patch. Did three of you share any good moment after that fight?

3. To me, it seems like that fight had no conclusion. No parties took responsibility. But good thing is, they blamed each other that means that backbiting did happen and you did not unnecessarily blame them.

4. Did they take initiative later to patch up things with you? It does not seem like. So if you take initiative, then it is a signal that you don't care about what people say in your back. It can hurt your self-respect to viewed as such a person.

5. I personally, cant continue my relationship with such people. But then, I am very comfortable having small friend circle.

6. Your husband is right that you need to forgive and forget. Did they ask you for forgiveness? Where is the question of forgiving when no one asked for it?

7. If you don't invite them, it might also mean these friendships cant be revived. You need to weigh pros and cons of having them. You gave just this one incident and so my suggestion is based on this incident alone and is some what in vacuum. But relationships don't function in empty space. You have the entire context. So please decide.

5 people like this.
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

In every group of families I've been in, I've noticed there is always some sort of conflict. Of course I don't have the details of your falling out. But just giving 3rd person view of what I've seen.

Recently, two families in our group fell out. Now the rest of us are trying to handle these two families diplomatically as they won't talk to each other and won't invite each other. If one of us neutral folks has a party, one declines if the other is coming. It's extremely sad and uncomfortable since the rest of us get on with both these families.

Of course as different personalities we are all going to have opinions on others. Which we might share with only those closest to us. That's one way of looking at it. Also some people gossip more than others...

You would be the bigger person here if you invited them. You could just remain acquaintances and be civil. However if their presence is only going to make you upset on your big day, you might as well skip it and enjoy your day. So, how much can you handle?

5. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

I agree with simple mom. If they haven't asked for forgiveness, why bother inviting them. They seem to be happy with their blossoming friendship. It's not worth it. Just forget them..it's not like they are your childhood friends, are they?

On a side note, you said you do greet them when you meet them at a party. How do they respond to you? Evaluate their equation with you...you know the best.

6. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

It's your party, and you should invite the people you like. If everyone knows you guys had a disagreement, it should not come as a big surprise to anyone that they have not been invited to this party. It's entirely your business.

And I don't agree with your husband, in this case, about forgiving and forgetting. That's all well and good and very virtuous-sounding, but the truth is, life is too short to ruin our happy moments by trying to be Mother Teresa.

The people who would like to socialize with X and Y can have their own party and meet them there. Your husband, too, should respect the fact that these women still make you feel bad. Don't dismiss your own feelings, based on solid experience, just to appease others or try to be the good guy. After all, I doubt your husband will be the one to suffer should X and Y start their tricks again (somehow, the guys always escape everything).

1 person likes this.
  7. englishtutorjul

englishtutorjul Silver IL'ite

I have nothing more to add than what has already been said by simpleMom.

8. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

I wouldn't invite anyone who makes me uncomfortable on my special day!!

9. MaritalBliss

MaritalBliss Platinum IL'ite

No need to invite them.