1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To improve child's complexion

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by geethavinod, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Pavithra55

Pavithra55 Gold IL'ite

use it atleast for one month. my cousin did for her baby. you can see good results dear

2. geethavinod

geethavinod New IL'ite

Sorry, I didn't understand the quote " baby-safe sunblock lotion spf between 15-30", if u don't mind, please explain it to me.

3. IndainDad

IndainDad New IL'ite

Teach your daughter to tell them "I am dark and proud. You are rotten but not even ashamed of it". If you don't want your daughter to use such harsh language, you tell the same thing to your neighbors and ask them to shut up. Who are they to comment on your child's complexion?

4. 1janavi

1janavi Bronze IL'ite

Sunscreen lotion/Sunblock etc are used when you are out in the sun for a long time .It helps in not damaging the skin.Spf is the Sun protection force meaning how much the lotion or cream blocks the sun from damamging the skin.I recommend spf 15 to 30 because only these levels of spf are proven effective on our indian skin which basically light ot dark brown . I personally think babies dont need it as they dont normally play that long in sun.Use a hat always when she is out.Also be careful with the brands in India.Suncreens are usually available now is most medial shops.Baby- safe is just a phrase to say lotion should be safe enogh to be applied on babies.You can find the details at the back of the lotion.It may say "safe for all ages". or "safe for children ages 0 to something" like that.

Now I can only tell you one thing Geetha.If you want your daughter to grow beyond these silly , small minded people who have comments to sayright on our face (which iam sure we have plentiful in india.suprisingly we can also find them within our house) again you have to be an example yourself.You have to truly believe first that dark complexion isn't a big deal.Like said before your daughter will learn from you and will be think skinned to their comments

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Geetha, why is this even an issue. Really. You are worried that your child will be hurt if your neighbours call her dark. How? Why should a child who has been raised with a good body image care a damn about what others think of her?
    I am dark skinned, tall and skinny and was just proud of who I am. People are going to have to say something or the other about your children - she is fat/ tall (how will you ever find a husband for yourself?, someone asked me.)/skinny/tomboy/flirt/blah blah. If you are going to let her be affected by it, then she is going to grow up too intimidated about what others think of her all her life.
    Agree with previous posters! I do teach my kid to tell off people who make very personal statements. I advocate for my child - anyone who messes with him messes with me, till he can stand up for himself. If anyone were to call him names, they will have to deal with what I think about them.
    Set the boundaries. Thank them for their concern, but tell them your child is beautiful and they will have to open their minds and see beauty comes in many sizes, colours and personality types. Like Janvi said, you first need to believe it yourself.

1 person likes this.
  6. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Geetha,

Hope you give the alternate view posted by some OPs a thinking. Whether the various treatments you may be giving to 'treat' your daughter's complexion would give the desired result or not is a different story BUT it will for sure harm your daughter's self esteem.
    It might send out signals to your kid that 'Mommy is not happy with my complexion.. I am lacking something..'
    As IndianDad, Tikka, Janavi and few others said, teach your kid to stand up for herself, and help her build her self esteem. You got to first believe that dark complexion is not a problem in the first place.

1 person likes this.
  7. geethavinod

geethavinod New IL'ite

Thank u IndianDad, janavi, tikka and mstrue for your comments.

8. venigiri

venigiri New IL'ite

Hi geetha,
    you can also try one more method to improve the complexion by applying coconut milk before daily bath

9. jissynirmal

jissynirmal New IL'ite

Hi Pavitra,

Could you please let me know the recipe with exact proportions to prepare the turmeric oil? Also should I add both olive oil and badam oil or any one of these?

Thanks in advance.
    Jissy

10. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Really worried for your daughters dark complexion because she is a girl. What a big shame ? Sorry I couldn't stop myself. Instead of searching remedies to lighten the complexion, search on how to teach children to be themslves, search on how to take pride in being who you are. I hope In the process of changing your daughters complexion you do not leave any scars on her personality.

5 people like this.