1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To forgive is a passion with me!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chitvish, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ranganayaki, we always think, by forgiving, we lower our self-esteem. No, he says, though delicate, it gives you immense relief. Whether he appreciates us or not, should not be our concern at all! We do it for our own happiness, call it relief, even at the cost of sounding selfish.
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. Chitvish

Dear Poornima,
    idukkan varungal nakuka is most difficult to practise, coming out of our own self-pity.I love thisq quote by Chesterton:
    To love means loving the unlovable.
    To forgive means pardononig the unpardonable.
    Faith means believing the unbelievable.
    Hope means believing in hope when everything is hopeless.
    I read this quote everyday but don't ask me if I follow it!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. Chitvish

Bhargavi, my friend says (though it sounds funny), by getting hurt, the objective of the person who did it intentionally is achieved by him. It is likely that we forgive him which should just be an unexpected "blow" for him from us.Letting go of what is bitter in us, only makes us a happier person.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Bhanumati

Bhanumati New IL'ite

As someone said "....to forgive is divine",... I wholly agree. At our level we can "forget", but forgiving? I think that is something that only HE can do. If we can forget the hurtful incident, then there is no question of "forgiving" arising at all. This is because, you have forgotten the incident. But forgetting is the most difficult part. This is "carrying the sack of potatoes".

Bhanumathi

5. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Mami, I just love the title of this blog....

Totally agree with it and I will adopt it right away...because, the feeling of bitterness should be done as early as possible. If that negative feeling is not done away with, it will start crowding out our positive feelings and virtues..So we are the losers in the end.By letting go, we experience peace of mind.Maybe when we forgive somebody for the wrong done to us...we may not forget that incident on the whole...but surely the bitterness will be lessened and with passing of time...it will be erased.
    Thanx for this wonderful piece.

6. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

mami...a slight error in typing...in my FB here....it should read

"...the feeling for bitterness should be done away with as early as possible."........

7. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    It is indeed a mammoth task to forgive, though it all depnds on the situation and how close you are to the person. If they have hurt you by back biting then what do you do, some can be harsh on the face. For me though I think so many times before I give up on someone when there has been an arguement or misunderstanding. But once I do make up my mind ten there is no looking back. The other person must be as interested as you in being amicable. Forgive is easy forget does not come to me easily. But as much as possible I will try to refrain from getting hung up what happend before. If you forgive then start on a fresh note.
    Great blog as usual!!!

8. Chitvish

Bhanumathi, I feel, fogetting is more difficult than forgiving. With the latter, we keep moving on. But with the former we are stuck with the past and have not released ourselves!
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Chitvish

Saras, the title, a statement from my friend was so casually mentioned by him! But it is a deeply profound statement, I thought. Many people are afraid to forgive because they feel they must remember the wrong or they will not learn from it. The opposite is true. Our mind gets expanded and we are able to deal with situations more effectively.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. Chitvish

Thanks Janani, for stepping in and for your last line!
    By not forgiving, the bitterness is still burning in your heart and blocking your progress.
    Forgiveness means that you've decided not to let it keep burning inside even if it only comes up once in awhile. Forgiveness is a powerful yet challenging tool that will support and honor you, even in the most extreme circumstances.
    Now, Janani, don't you ever imagine, I follow all that I write! I want to & try to follow.
    Love,
    Chithra