1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To forgive is a passion with me!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chitvish, Jul 21, 2008.

1. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear dear chitra,
    That was a lovely post,something that all of us will benefit by following in our every day life.Saying it is so easy, but following the principle of forgiving may prove to be so difficult.
    I read somewhere,if we see a bad film, we do not want to see that film at all.We may even give away the cd or the casset .Like that,thinking of the hurt that someone caused oneself is going to make that person only a sad and bitter person. Throw away the bitterness,never think of it again because having bitterness in one's heart will spoil one's mental peace only.
    I appreciate your friend for having shown such maturity and clarity of thought at a difficult scenario,because he also would have been definitely hurt but he managed to throw away his bitterness like garbage that we don't store at home.

Great post,chitra.
    love
    mithila kannan

2. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

Hats off to your friend who could forgive with a sense of humour. Forgiving, I think is for our own good. Mostly I confront and forget( though not sure if I forgive ) such treatments. But I see my husband and best friends who cannot forget and just get hurt.

You have a knack to pick such versatile topics.

Regards
    Gayathri.

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Aishu, your quote of thirukural is very correct.
    But, somewhere we seem to be collecting more and more unpleasantness in our heart by not forgetting and in the process may slip downward in the process of evolution.Do not think, I am strictly flollowing it, but only trying my best under the influence of my friend!
    Yes, at any cost, you must only be "you",without hurt, guilt etc which is not easy!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Chitvish

Dear, dear Mithila, your last sentence makes a lot of sense!
    Yes, whether we collect the garbage or it enters our heart, it occupies a firm place there. It is not easy to dislodge it from there, sadly.Perhaps like my friend, we must practise the art of forgiving not for them but for ourselves! Should we allow resentment and retaliation build up in our personality?
    Thanks, Mithila.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Chithra - I am an ordinary soul still trying to find grip with many things. I have always considered forgiving to be a big challenge. I know that to me learning to forgive will be a long process in life. Not an easy one. In the process of forgiving, having a good memory is too bad.

6. Chitvish

Oh, Gayathri, your last line thrills me, I admit!!
    Every time, I admire his large heartedness and he says, he is not such a great person and this has become a way of life for him. We must forgive, he says, for our own health and well-being and by not forgetting them, we allow them to live rent free in our head!
    His sense of humour is incomparable!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Chitvish

Nivedi,you have honoured me by coming here, yes!
    I always admire your writing. Forgiving is as challenging as it is powerful.We do not forgive for their sake, but for our own sake.I read this:
    Forgiving releases you from the punishment of a self-made prison where you are both the inmate and the jailer.
    Nothing can be more true!
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Saahithya

Saahithya Silver IL'ite

yes i agree sometimes though we say the word i have forgiven....but still somewhere deep down we carry the hurt...but this hurt itself creates the biggest hurdle in life to reconnect with people...

I have to try my best from now on....to ensure I really forgive...thanks for posting this Chitvish...really good one...

9. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

I completely agree with your friend and Mark Twain's words.

I have noticed that since i have started forgiving people and also trying to forget the hurt caused by them, i feel much lighter and better. WE are taught that revenge or grudge is not for us. Leave all the mathematics to god...the supreme soul will decide who has to be forgiven and who to be punished.

Detachments also help to overcome this. But if we get very attached to a soul then it is difficult to forgive and forget.

But still i have a looooong way to go.

10. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Mrs. Chitra

Whatever you felt when you heard your MIL's words, the same were experienced by my mother with her MIL . Exact similar words! Thereafter, she only remembers her good points.

Love
    Usha