1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To forget a birthday

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Oh Nooo.!! Dont ever dare to forget a birthday! In this day and age, birthdays are such hyped up events. The invitation some times matches a wedding and the gifts.. Oh Lord!
    Being invited to a birthday party is no fun anymore.. it has truly lost its charm with all the stress involved.
    If it is my kids friends's party, then I will have to consult kids before I buy gift because its aprestige issue what gift to give. If its my hubby's colleague's birthday, then some office politics is involved. If it is my friend or someone I know then the trauma begins. Most women I know gossip about the gift giving, so have to beware of the comments.
    Gift cards I learnt is a no-no. You have to take the time to Shop.
    And all these add up starting from the card to the gift to the gift wrapper.
    Growing up we had no such problems. There were no parties given and none attended as well. The only special would be a payasam (sweet dessert) and a trip to the temple.
    New clothes - No way. Once a year for diwali.
    If I am not mistaken the first birthday cake I cut was when I turned 40.
    Very rarely do my dh and I exchange gifts. After being through life's difficulties materials things dont hold any value any more.
    To us it does not matter if we did not make dinner reservations or forgot to order a cake or get some fancy card! These , however thoughtful they might be do not hold a handle to what really matters.
    What matters more would be a hug when we feel low, a helping hand when one feels tired, a smile to cheer one's day, a support of a best friend in my spouse, a excited cheering me with my blog and stories.. Truly dare I ask more of life. ? Does anyone disagree.. would love to hear different views on this!

2. Vidya Arun

Vidya Arun Senior IL'ite

Dear AC

Completely agree with your views about the celebration. But do you not think that a year has passed thru for us successfully..Is that not a miracle?? The things that we did the past years are memories to be cherished right..yes ofcourse the customary of shopping does drive me nuts too but the concept of us having lived another year indeed demands an attention..I love my birthdays just for the fact that i have made thru another successful year...

Good thought AC..

Love
    Vidya

3. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi AC..I would go for cake and gifts rather than a hug...bonk..So when is your birthday..?

4. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Dear Anandchitra Madam,

Nice thoughtful piece. I will go with your thoughts.

I prefer a simple, loving wish (hugs/words) from your loved ones. No passion for cakes/gifts, if they are giving.... will take it whole-heartedly.

Love,
    Gowri

5. Anandchitra

Dearmost Vidya
    You know I loved your writing on this subject.. actually I had planned to write this in snippets but then saw yours posted.. and even I know there is now way I can write as well as you.. still wanted to write so wrote hear.
    I agree with you completely dear.. It is indeed a miracle. I spend my birthday saying PRAYERS. You might wonder whats the big deal.. because as a routine I do not sit for long hours and say prayers.. On my birthday I am so happy to sit and pray.. mostly we all eat together.. sometimes my husband cooks for me.. no big cooking .. but we all say prayers together.. which my family knows is what I want as a gift. I take it as a honor you stepped in to comment.. thank you my friend:)

6. Anandchitra

Supriya my young and beautiful friend
    Will ONLY tell when you plan to visit me:) o.k?
    Beleive it or not I am getting cakes and gifts every birthday now..

7. Anandchitra

Gowri dear i hear when you say if they are giving it will take it happily.. yes I agree. So when is your bday dear?

8. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear most AC akka,

Hahahahaha... So, a simple Birthday party has so many complications... Sincerely speaking... I dont know, there are so many things to look after or rather to be taken care of... in attending / presenting in a Birthday party... I normally dont think too much on these things... Now, after reading this I have to think about...

You are a great source of knowledge on day to day antics... Very resourceful...

So, now that you know, when my B'day is... I can expect some nice presnts, cards, cakes & bakes from my Sis.... hahahahaha... (Just kidding...)

Veda

9. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

forgot to invite.... is another problem.just miss out one person/do not call the whole clan when it is just achild's b'day.........such felony....how could i have done that, so i had to bear the brunt....
    but the best thing was that i had infact invited but..the other party had the grouse that her husbands name was not told properly....
    yeah she did not attend..and stopped talking to me later
    what can be sadder than that
    but then i am away from the meany thinking people
    can just thank God for that

10. Anandchitra

Veda I still dont know when your birthday is............ Believe me there are too many things involved in these birthdays.
    You are lucky you have an expert for a wife.. so its o.k. if you dont know the nitty gritty details.. glad to see you here my friend:)