1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To Eat or Not To Eat and Then What To Eat!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jun 7, 2015.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

So true KS, aaj ya kal, and I shall add aise ya waise! Khaa-peeke maro ya bhooke maro!

2. pumpkin01

pumpkin01 Platinum IL'ite

Gosh, I was thinking I am the only one :spin

I still ask the same question to poor DH and to my mom when at moms place "I want to eat something nice but don't know what " ...... :hide:

Now the question is what if my DS starts asking the same question notdonesmiley

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

Hi Sabitha,

True - in our younger days, life was far less complicated than it is today. Choices were limited and people were less conscious about every nutrient and every component of things we ate. No one bothered about levels of lead or mercury in food and water. Good or bad apart, at least people ate in peace.

I totally agree with you on the moderation bit ..... which is why I went on a rant when I read the forward (quoted by JS2 in her post above) twice in 2 days. For God's sake, what all can we control? The water we drink is bad - too much lead and other chemical pollutants in it. The food we eat is either too fattening, or has too much sugar, or increases cholesterol (and mind you, not just good old cholesterol - now you have to think of LDL, HDL, VLDL, triglycerides and what not!), is not good for hypothyroidism, creates acidity and indigestion, increases flatulence, not good for the joints ..... anything else left in the list? Oh yes, sattvic vs tamasic food. And as if all this was not enough we now have a long list of preservatives to remember and check for when selecting stuff in the market. So what does that leave us with? Nix. So we die eating what is polluted or we die of not eating. Why, even the air we breathe makes us fat or affect the reproductive abilities of humans - because it contains pollutants that mimic the hormones in our body. So what next? Stop breathing?

It maddens me to keep reading all this propaganda about food and extremist views day in and day out. It's hard enough to follow all these, but it is even tougher to feed people who keep reading and talking about all this stuff at the dining table! And worst of all, it gives me a headache where I had none!

1 person likes this.
  4. satchitananda

Hi Meena,

First things first - noticed you have changed your avatar! :-D Cute doggy.

Meena, you have your heart absolutely in the right place and your head screwed on firmly where it should be! No wonder you love your food the way you should! I love your idea of packing up ..... and while you are at it (of course many decades hence!), consider taking some along with you to give Him some good old earth-made stuff! :rotfl

I am perfectly fine with the veggies and healthy food Meena, but it riles me when people start deciding that nothing on God's earth is good for anything in our bodies! So between all the various systems and illnesses, folks ensure we get nothing to eat and that if we are healthy enough, they drive us sick with worry.

Oh well! They can't stop me from eating what I like.

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

Aha!!! JS Ma'am, you ensured I saw this message the third time in 2 days!!!!! :rant:rant:rant This was the very forward that I was talking about. I did not have the patience to quote it here, but thanks for quoting it. Now folks will know why I lost it when I kept seeing it all over the place.

What are we supposed to do? Carry a list of preservatives with alphabetical and numerical components in alphabetical and numerical sequence and go checking every item we buy in the shops against the list??? We certainly have no dearth of every kind of extremist in this country.

The forward that I received further stated that pepsi and coke were fit only to clean toilets and were that corrosive; they are not sold in the canteen of the parliament, but the politicians allow it to be sold in the country. So one more angle - not just the foreign hand, but the politicians betraying the public by being hand in glove with foreign companies! Is there no end to the paranoia, I ask you!

True, I would love to eat whatever I like and die a happy person rather than trying to extend my life by controlling every morsel that crosses my lips. My life would certainly seem very long!

1 person likes this.
  6. satchitananda

Hahaha Pumpkin! Just a few days ago, I got into this mode all over again. No mom whose head 'I can eat'. BH is certainly the wrong party to talk to about 'nice'. Either he will forbid it, or he will go to the shop on a day I decide to go back on a diet and bring about 5 different things - none of which is a particular favourite of the moment, and I have to eat it all so it does not go waste!

7. satchitananda

Absolutely Pavithra! So long as we practice moderation, there is no point worrying. Eat now, we'll see what happens later. :-D

1 person likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

Being a foodie myself all my life, I am the last one to be qualified to even make a comment on this post of yours. If my father was alive, he would vouch for that. He used to advice me throughout my young age I should stop eating when my stomach is 75% to 80% full but I used to go for 110% of the installed capacity. My mother told me number of times that when I was an infant she had to keep an alarm to go and prepare milk 1 hour and 30 minutes after I go to sleep as I used to sleep for a window of 2 hours. It used to be always two bottles full of milk at a stretch and if it was not ready, I used to cry nonstop. She used to call it as "Kudi Veri" simply.

Even after I grew up, all my friends knew if I was cranky it meant I was hungry and they used to get me something to eat so that normalcy can be restored. Looking back, I feel bad about my approach of living to eat instead of eating to live.

Marriage disciplined me more. She gets me the best meal knowing my taste buds but at the same time through her love and affection, straightened me a little to adapt moderation in eating. My son is another health conscious individual like my wife and watching them brought some sense into my head.

I am with Sabitha on eating what I like but eat in moderation. Greens are essential but we are not cows or goats to live only on them. My wife's uncle used to ask his wife when he was repeatedly given "Keerai" for food, "Why don't you tie a rope around my neck so that I can go around and eat some grass?"

Viswa

3 people like this.
  9. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

I also had those paragraphs about media, which I deleted before sending to the forum.
    Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  10. satchitananda

Dear Viswamitra,

I too was a complete foodie when I was younger, eternally on a sea food diet ("see food i eat). My mom had two daughters at two polar ends to handle - my older sister who used to be hard to feed because she did not want to eat, and myself who believed in eating like a larva.

Over the years I have swung from one end of the spectrum to the other before finding my balance (defining my sun sign to perfection) and would describe myself as more of a gourmet than a gourmande today. I love eating healthy, but don't like to have to kill the experience by analyzing every single ingredient that goes into the food and the making of it. Seeing that list of "E's" I could only go "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee......". Why do they have to kill the joy of eating by putting all these doubts into one's mind? Mahapaavi, whoever came up with this list!!!!!

2 people like this.