1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To Eat or Not To Eat and Then What To Eat!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jun 7, 2015.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]I'M HUNGRY!!! I'M THIRSTY!!![/JUSTIFY]

[​IMG]
    [JUSTIFY][​IMG] I wish I could say that was my only problem in life. Unfortunately, I now have to admit that it is my biggest problem in life.

A long time ago, when the moon and the sun were still coming into existence, a young girl would complain to her mom "I want something nice to eat". "What is 'nice'", her mother would ask and the daughter would say "I don't know, but I want something 'nice'". The mom would list a few things, each of which the daughter would turn down as not "the" thing that she was craving for. Finally, exasperated, the mother would say "Eat my head". :eek Now whether that head tasted 'nice' or not, I shall never be in a position to say!

Sometimes, sorry, very often, to eat or not to eat, and if yes, what to eat, takes on existential proportions. The decision is not easy at all. One would imagine, with all the 'developments' that have taken place in this world, one would find some help in solving out such life and death problems. But NO! Solving problems would not help the existence of the powers that be. Rather their bread and butter depends on creating problems, then writing out proposals for fundings to find out answers to those problems, selling the results of such studies to corporates and then setting out to search - sorry, to create - for more problems to solve.

Sorry for the early morning rant, but what does a foodie do when she receives messages as forwards on gmail and whatsapp telling her what she can eat and what she positively shouldn't? (Shouldn't 'shouldn't' be 'negatively' instead of 'positively')? Anyway! Now don't tell me the solution is to get off the net and to remove all the apps off my gadgets. There will be enough well-meaning friends who will let me know verbally the next time they meet me. I cannot cut off all my social contacts just because they have certain food fetishes!

All these years it was: Eat potatoes, cucumber, dal, root vegetables and Vayu Bhagwan will bless you liberally. You can have an OBE free of cost and float up to the corner of your room instantly.

Then it was: Cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, turnips, bok choy, food containing gluten ..... oh the list of stuff bad for hypothyroidism is endless.

Hungry kya? Mind you, watch what you eat. Butter, ghee, paneer, cheese, ice cream, cakes, fried stuff - basically all the stuff you love are fattening. There is already too much of you, we can't risk having more of you around!

Bhookh lagi kya? Bacchon ko bas Maggi hi chahiye! 2 minute hahn! NOOOOOOOOO....... all those ready made packs of noodles are made of maida ..... super-refined stuff. Soon you will be nodding your head in agreement and empathising with Bhoskar Banerjee in Piku. So try the whole wheat option. But hold it! Maggi is bad for the health in any form. It is a conspiracy. The big bad West has unleashed a 'food' war on India by introducing such wile stuff into our country. Don't you know they are mis'leading' us gullible Indians into eating unadulterated MSG disguised as noodles? They are not happy with all the brains from India taking over the Western world, so what better way than to zap their nervous systems with MSG?

Today for the second time in two days, I received a list of foods and all preservatives which are made with the malefide intent of leading devout Hindus off their religious course and making sinners of them. They are, I am told, made of beef. I am also egged on to spread the not so good news. I am exhorted to check all labels when I visit Star Bazaar. It already breaks my back just picking up essentials, dumping them in the cart, paying for them and coming back. Now I have to spend a couple of hours more checking out labels. But wait! There will be no need for that - I shan't be alive to eat whatever is in those packets, if I do.

Just this morning, I opened the door and was hit by the smell of dung wafting in our direction from the 'prani daya sangha' just outside our colony gates. Now that smell also comes from our holy cows. How can I allow that to go down my nose? So I am trying to avoid breathing. It will stand me in good stead when I step out of home - I can avoid breathing in all the pollutants in the air. I need to stay healthy, don't I? So I stop eating and breathing. I am guaranteed of a healthy life till I breathe my last - for that won't be too long if I follow all the advice which is being doled out over the social media.

So now I have two options - stop eating and breathing (am not mentioning drinking, Pepsi, Colas, soft drink or heck, just plain water) OR[/JUSTIFY]

[​IMG]

17 people like this.
  2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

You had me snorting into my coffee!

The little girl in your second para was me! I'm still taunting my DH (or should I say BH) with the same " I want something nice."-"No I don't know what; just something nice." Act. :cheers

2 people like this.
  3. satchitananda

Hey guesshoo, nice to see you. :-D

You want to eat something 'nice'? Well, count your blessings if you can eat anything at all!!! :rotfl

2 people like this.
  4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha nice write up! I have already sacrificed a long list of my favourite dishes for what is considered by the diet gurus as a healthy diet... History are the days I ate food passionately or grabbed a bite just because it looked mouth watering! Sigh.

So my vote is for... "Just eat" option!! :) (If only....! :p)

1 person likes this.
  5. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Just Eat... jana tho hai hi. Aj ya kaal bie1

1 person likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

Just eat...that is how we were brought up. While mom was awesome in many areas and was wonderful in some specialized dishes, when it came to every day meals, it was always simply just eat!! Well that said, coming to maggi....it must be your prani daya sangha sort of group but I received a whats app message that said "Eat raagi and be a yogi. Eat maggi and be a rogi" :8) I breathed a sigh. I don't know about all those who eat raagi or maggi....but I cannot be a yogi what with raagi being so hard to get here, and I most certainly won't be a rogi for maggi though is available always takes a back seat as I look for "oh remember that specialty from India" in the Indian stores. Phew...I most definitely follow the "Make in India" when it comes to satisfying the cravings of my Indian needs.

I agree with you but would say, Just eat but in moderation! There is only so much we can escape from in this ever changing world and vaise bhi like you said we all have to go....one day...when and where no one knows! At least there is no need for preparing with food and water :biggrin2: Phew! What a relief.

3 people like this.
  7. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Let's just eat while we can Satchi. The Lord above would not have given us these taste buds if he didn't want us to savor all those yummy foods, now would he? Who are we to question his will? :wink: We may get to live a few years longer if we eat leaves and raw veggies all day long but why? If I can't eat my kozhukattais and dahi vadas and pakoras, I might as well pack up and leave to visit Him. What packing, you ask? I never leave home without a pack of murukku because i don't know when a craving will hit, right? :biggrin2:

4 people like this.
  8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

My Periappa was a diabetic.He used to take lot of sweets, fruits, potatoes. He used to say,better eat whatever you want and live two or three years shorter than to control your taste buds.He lived upto 87 years, no tablets -sweet within .My Amma used to advise us,better get angry after eating food'. She knew children won't get angry when stomachs are full.Yesterday I recd the following mail.
    Note:- to make Pizza tasty...
    E-631 flavor Enhancer is added which is made from Pork or Pig meat.

Attention friends if following codes are mentioned on food packs then you should know what you are unknowingly consuming.
    E 322 - Beef
    E 422 - Alcohol
    E 442 - Alcohol & Chemical
    E 471 - Beef & Alcohol
    E 476 - Alcohol
    E 481 - mixture of Beef and Pork
    E 627 - Dangerous Chemical
    E 472 - mixture of Beef, meat & Pork
    E 631 - Oil extracted from Pig fats.

● Note - you will find these codes mostly in products of foreign companies like :- Chips , Biscuits , Chewing Gums, Toffees, Kurkure and Maggi !
    ● Don't ignore pay your kind attention atleast for the well being of your kids, if in doubt then search by yourself through your sources if not internet. (Google)
    ● Look at ingredient on Maggi pack, you will find flavor (E-635 ).
    ● Also look for following codes on Google :-
    E100, E110, E120, E140, E141, E153, E210, E213, E214, E216, E234, E252, E270, E280, E325, E326, E327, E334, E335, E336, E337, E422, E430, E431, E432, E433, E434, E435, E436, E440, E470, E471, E472, E473, E474, E475, E476, E477, E478, E481, E482, E483, E491, E492, E493, E494, E495, E542, E570, E572, E631, E635, E904.

I didn't search google for the numbers for fear of becoming upset.

Jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  9. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

When it comes to eating , I follow Gita where Krishna says "Do your duties and think not about its fruits "...

Though my slight variation is " Eat your heart full , worry not about the after effects " :2thumbsup:
    Who knows if we will be around till next meal time..Life is so unpredictable, hai na ? laugh1smiley

Regards,

Pavithra

1 person likes this.
  10. satchitananda

Hi Kaniths, good if you can exercise the 'just eat' option - of course everything in moderation. (As they say, too much of anything is bad). So go for it girl. Eat and be merry!

1 person likes this.