1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To Bribe or Not is the Question

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

There is a major construction going on near our place closer to the interstate highways. They are building flyovers and more roads leading upto it and looks like a very big project for our little town. Every day when we pass by my husband and I are in awe at the way the work is progressing. There is almost no interruption to regular traffic. They apparently have a Master plan and process in place to work things out. Initially what seemed like total confusion and chaos is now taking the shape of the different roads some going up and some goin down. Then ofcourse we have the inevitable conversation of our
    "singara chennai" road constructions. When we were growing up they used to dig here and there in random. The Roads I mean. Never mind even if it was a newly laid road they never hesitated nor did
    anything stop them from DIGGING. and then they would mostly cover and patch up but there are days when that did not happen either. Please dont get me wrong. we do adore our singara chennai but when construction especially road related comes up cannot but comment on those days.Also we have an eager audience in our son who listens to all this in amazement.Everything goes well till the topic of constructors comes up. And then the fact
    that they use sub standard products. This leads to a heated argument between the hitherto friendly person (read DH) and I. All because of BRIBE. My dh stronglyfeels that its o.k to bribe or accept bribe so as to get the project done on time and hopefully we get a good quality job. I ofcourse cannot believe he said that. I think its much worser to give the bribe than accept it. Because by giving we are creating one acceptee. He looks at me like where have u been livin woman?????? But keeps quiet. I guess years of marraige does that to men? Anyways we are at lockheads now and need our friends here to help sort out this debate and hopefully give a verdict (supporting me ofcourse or no morru bajji and coffee and thayir sadam). Looks like I'm going to be the winner Dont you agree?

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

AC,
    Just sent a bribe to your Hubby to back down, so we can get our quota of Moru Bhaji, Coffee and thayir sadam....:bowdown:bowdown

Hey Seriously, i agree with you. These days , even after bribing the work is not done so we are back to square one, after emptying our pockets!!

3. Anandchitra

Vandhana Dearie
    You cannot get more endearing than this! Whose side are you on anyway??? You sound like our typical politician!

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I am on your side, AC in this regard. Giving bribe is where, we don't have any control over, but we have the 'remote control' in getting bribes.
    Can i expect morru bajji and thayir sadam?
    sriniketan

5. Anandchitra

Yes Bhargavi For you definetly
    Somehow I dont like this giving bribe concept. But in the real world thats not going to work. Giving and Taking is the reality of Today.

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

AC,

I would make a very poor typical politician Indian ishtyle! But i don't mind doing naradar velai.
    Anyway, i too am in your camp. No bribes any kind.

7. Anandchitra

Vandhana
    If you dont give bribes I dont think anything will move in our system. My husband's office is opening a new factory and for everything to move they have to push/give beneath the table. Basic things like electricity, water connection You will not believe this. To get the final deed signed some for the judicial system. And the list goes on. I know when my father has problem with his phone lines unless he gives something no one's going to attend. Infact he used to say better give good Diwali bonus so as to be taken care of.

8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes, corruption is a serious problem, but despite what some
    believe, India is not the most corrupt country in the world.
    That distinction belongs to Bangladesh, which finished dead
    last among 91 countries surveyed for the 2002 Corruption
    Perceptions Index of Transparency International. India
    ranked 71st, while Pakistan was 79th, allowing Indian
    politicians to brag that they're more honest than their
    neighbors. If you want to see real corruption, just cross
    the border. Even husbands have to bribe wives just to have
    children

9. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear AC,
    This is a topic for which there is no ending to it... My father is a strong believer in not giving and accepting bribes... He used to tell us, when u accept bribe, you may have money but you will lose happiness... Though I agree with him, in todays real life situation, I cannot get things done without bribing... Especially being in the finance department... When I was in India... For sales tax assessment, IT assessment... I have to give... I still remember once for clearing the claim of our Export exemption, I had to give.. Else, the company would have lost a huge amount few million rs. Similarly, for filing the claim for export benfit of 1cr rs... almost 8 yrs back, I have to bribe the concerned clerk for accepting our papers.. Othewise we would have lost it... If I talk about the morals and my fathers teaching of not bribing... the company would have lost huge amounts... I would have failed from my duties as the cos finance mgr... So... Where do we stand...

We can proudly say, Yes, I will not accept bribes... and I meticulously follow till date... But I cannot afford to say, that I will not bribe... Because, in todays world things move only after that.... So, I have to balance in between...

"He looks at me like where have u been livin woman?????? But keeps quiet. I guess years of marraige does that to men?"---- Poor me... I dont understand this portion....Hahahahaha... Enjoy....

10. Anandchitra

Dear Cheeniya Sir
    That statistic is sad and something you will agree that we are not proud of. But that is the reality today. Maybe like everything else we have to look at the brighter side which is we have not hit rock bottom. ?!