1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

To Be Taken Seriously - Anxiety/medication

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by GregoriaBoul, Dec 21, 2020.

1. GregoriaBoul

GregoriaBoul Silver IL'ite

What I guess I'm asking is, how do I go about asking my psychologist to give me something for sleep/this anxiety as I cannot go through another sleepless night. I know psychologists can't prescribe medication but can she do anything?

I'm somehow disappointed in myself for not being strong enough. I preach all day about how it's not weak to speak up but why the hell do I feel like a failure.

Forever thankful for the support and feedback I receive here.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You can ask your psychologist if they can get you in quickly to see a psychiatrist who can prescribe you medication. The ones that take insurance typically have long waiting lists.
    You can also go to your primary physician. Many of them can prescribe anti-depressants and sleep medication.
    One of my friends takes melatonin for sleep issues and says it’s somewhat helpful.

Laks09 likes this.
  3. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

A number of non-pharma recommendations are in this : LINK
    There are also plenty of other posts.
    Do meditation to rest the mind, Do physical exercises, get very tired, and fall off to sleep <== is the general slant of all the advices on that thread.

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

She can refer to a psychiatrist who will prescribe the meds. It’s easier to get in with a referral from the psychologist. I think it’s best to see a psychiatrist before getting on medication of any kind. They see a lot of patients and have the latest knowledge about meds and sleep aids. After you work with a psychiatrist on the right med and dosage, the pcp can be relied on for future prescriptions in a pinch. Even then, if on any meds, it’s good to follow up yearly with the psychiatrist. Things are ever evolving in the world of medical sciences.

Added: Please be upfront with our psychologist. She may not know that you are at the point where you want to try meds. If you mention it to her, she will refer you as soon as she can.

Asking for help when it comes to seeing a psychiatrist isn’t easy. It’s probably the hardest thing to do. Even if you know it, given the conditioning we’ve had socially, it’s hard to acknowledge there is a problem. Don’t be so hard on yourself. The psychologist is trained to also deal with this situation and she has probably already handled it for other patients. It’s best to be upfront with her and trouble shoot together. Hang in there. You will be able to do this.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    KashmirFlower and MalStrom like this.
  5. GregoriaBoul

That is what I thought doing too which is to seek help and get some therapy. Thank you for confirming what I think is right and this link had helped me decide too Check this: Therapeutic Management | COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines

6. GregoriaBoul

I know and it is true that asking for help when it comes to seeing a psychiatrist isn’t easy. It’s probably the hardest thing to do. Maybe start checking article and taklking to a friend and family member might help.

7. GregoriaBoul

yes having a friend and someone to talk with is important to feel better and to console whatever you are feeling.

amunique likes this.
  8. GregoriaBoul

That is what I actually realize, I was kinda checking for some good points on how tyo start and get someone to talk to, I mean in a pro side.

9. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

well, you can try writing here too until you get/think you need some other help professionally.

10. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Melatonin helps with sleep

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2021