1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To be or not to be

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

dear friends,

To be or not to be----this is not a drama where you hear such phrases.

What i wanted to convey here is:
    What made you to be a home-maker or a career woman+ home-maker?
    Is it by your choice or by suggestion or by any other reason?

For me to be a home-maker, I made this choice.

Eventhough I had a care-free life during my earlier days of my life--simply to put it --innocent girl image--from that time itself i made up my mind not to go to work because 'that work' which i might hold can be useful to some other person who is in need of it.

This was the thought that went through my mind and i also refused to study the course on Computer Science (which I regret today, atleast my knowledge might have increased) which my parents asked me to learn and turned down their offer saying that
    those things are useful only if I go to workbonk!
    But I don't regret being a home- maker where I learned a lot of things to get along with this life.:cheers
    How about you all friends?

sriniketan

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Interesting Topic Bhargavi
    Like you say its more or less a choice to be a homemaker.... sometimes due to circumstances. I was working for a few years and my child was born a little late. What was considered late then is now the marraigeable age of girls....even then some get married later i should say.. anyway after child we did not want to leave him in daycare so I used to take up part time work that too came to a stop a couple of years ago due to circumstance.... I can see my family benefiting my presence at home.. like you say we also learn a thing or two to go along this life style..

3. Sriniketan

Thanks for the immediate response.
    If need arises 'career mom' becomes a 'home-maker' and 'home-maker' becomes a 'career mom'.
    Nicely replied, Chitra!

sriniketan

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Nice topic Sriniketan!

As for me, marriage was always on cards according to my parents! My Mil encouraged me to study further so I could be of help to my hubby in his profession. We both did not take her advice seriously as we didn't want to be separated so soon after marriage and there was no possibility to study what I wanted in the place we lived at that time! I did work for civil service for a while after my first daughter was born. She was falling ill with one or the other thing due to the daycare and childrens' infections there. I opted to stay at home and be there for her....And life just rolled forwards and I think that my being a full time home-maker and mom was a boon to both my family and children....even if I say so myself!
    Even today, I am needed in full force as a grandmom!
    I did not work ?!?!
    But hey, when do I get to take my vacation....why is no one hearing??!! shakehead :)

L, Kamla

5. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good Topic!!
    It depends on each person what they want to be.
    Again it reminds me the golden words "The path you choose, makes you what you are today".
    Seeing my mom asking each and everything from my dad made me to decide that I should study, work, earn well etc.
    I hated to ask anything from my dad and so again from my husband.
    Now I think I made a good choice by completing my masters education and starting my career.
    Even, I stayed home completely for 4 years with my kids as home maker (I did some home business though).
    It seems to be more stressful being home-maker & career women.
    And, I am not that ambitious in career to get a high position.
    I am happy being financially independent and I love my job.

6. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Hi Srini,

I am a home-maker because of circumstances.....visa restrictions to be precise. I used to work earlier and I am waiting to go back to the career world.

7. Sriniketan

Kamla,
    Thanks for stepping into this topic!
    Nice question you have raised, we don't get any vacation, even so, we enjoy doing things for the family and running around, don't we :exactly:

sriniketan

8. Sriniketan

Thanks for your response, Punitha!
    It is true, feeling financially independent gives us self-confidence, self-esteem, etc.
    I completely agree with you!

sriniketan

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  9. Sriniketan

Good luck, Nivedi and thanks for your response!

sriniketan

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sriniketan,
    I worked before marriage and after marriage, as for my mil's wish I resigned the job. Again I took up the job when my youngest child completed 7yrs. But it was a great help to our family. But I feel that if the life partner is able to manage the family with his income and would not crib to spend money and tighten the purse strings, I would prefer the woman to be a home maker.
    Love,
    Pushpvalli